Tom Bihn CPAP Carry Options?

I'm a 15 year CPAP user who travels quite a bit, nationally and internationally. Like many of you I've converted to carry-on-only mode of travel. My carry-on is the amazing Aeronaut--simply a brilliant bag for all of my needs. My AEIOMed Everest 2 CPAP machine with humidifier, measures 5" wide, 7" tall, and 6" long. I absolutely HATE carrying it in the CPAP bag, but love carrying it in one personal item bag. Through the years I've experimented relentlessly with all kinds of luggage to do this. While I haven't done it yet, I plan to carry the CPAP in the bottom of my new Smart Alec and tuck my Co-pilot lengthwise on top of it. The math works, but here's my goal: Aeronaut plus ONE personal item that contains my CPAP and other stuff.
    Two items only...even though the airlines allow the CPAP as a separate item.
    How in the world do the rest of you CPAP users configure your gear for carry on only? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ShineAgain View Post
    How in the world do the rest of you CPAP users configure your gear for carry on only? Thanks!
    I used a Tri-Star as a personal carry-on with my C-PAP (REMstar Auto M), laptop, and accessories for one trip. The rest of my clothing was packed into an Aeronaut.

It was do-able and no one on the airlines (U.S domestic) batted an eye at both of the bags. The Aeronaut went in the overhead and the Tri-Star fit under my seat. However, is was very awkward carrying both bags through the airport. Plus the TSA checkpoint was a pain because I had to unpack both the C-PAP and laptop for inspection, which took longer than it should have.

I have since had a apnea dental appliance made that I can use for traveling. It does not replace my C-PAP (I have an 80 AHI), but it sufficiently reduces my apnea symptoms for the 2-3 weeks I am away from home. Plus, I don't have to unpack it at security or worry about power ay my destination. Now I am back to using my Aeronaut and Checkpoint Flyer.

I sometimes use the Red Oxx Gator to carry my CPAP. It is actually too snug of a fit for my machine, and not the easiest to get in and out for security. My CPAP is much larger than the Everest 2; I use the Resmed Adapt SV. I am hoping to try some of the bags at the showroom later this month for a better solution. I was thinking of trying the Imago, Synapse, Co-Pilot, or even the Checkpoint Flyer. I'm not sure how much padding each of the bags would have. The Gator does have the typical Red Oxx qualities of being way overbuilt. Usually I think this adds more weight than necessary, but probably not in the case of a CPAP/Bi PAP/VPAP. This is a challenge when travelling, and adds one more item to manage during airport security. Just between my monster work laptop and my CPAP, I have almost 18 pounds to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    I am hoping to try some of the bags at the showroom later this month for a better solution. I was thinking of trying the Imago, Synapse, Co-Pilot, or even the Checkpoint Flyer.
    I was thinking about a Brain Bag before I got my dental appliance. I haven't tested it, but it looks like there would be plenty of room for a C-PAP and laptop with easy top-access to both for security checks. You should add it to the list of bags to try.

Tom Bihn CPAP Carry Options

Quote Originally Posted by ShineAgain View Post
    I'm a 15 year CPAP user who travels quite a bit, nationally and internationally. Like many of you I've converted to carry-on-only mode of travel. My carry-on is the amazing Aeronaut--simply a brilliant bag for all of my needs. My AEIOMed Everest 2 CPAP machine with humidifier, measures 5" wide, 7" tall, and 6" long. I absolutely HATE carrying it in the CPAP bag, but love carrying it in one personal item bag. Through the years I've experimented relentlessly with all kinds of luggage to do this. While I haven't done it yet, I plan to carry the CPAP in the bottom of my new Smart Alec and tuck my Co-pilot lengthwise on top of it. The math works, but here's my goal: Aeronaut plus ONE personal item that contains my CPAP and other stuff.
    Two items only...even though the airlines allow the CPAP as a separate item.
    I like to use a bag with padding when carrying my CPAP - I've seen mine take a tumble off the back of a vehicle in a third world country. I use two different Tom Bihn bags - the Empire Builder or the Zephyr, depending on the load I need to carry. I recently returned from a trip to Dominica and used the Empire Builder in which I carried my CPAP (a Remstar Plus M series w/o humidifier) in its slightly padded bag together with an Eagle Creek padded half cube holding my hose and mask), a 13" MacBook Pro in a TB Cache and an iPad inside its Apple cover, a rain jacket and a Tilley wide brimmed hat in the main compartment - a tight fit. In addition, I had some meds, flashlight, extra cables and power cords, etc. in the front pockets. I also use from time to time a Red Oxx padded PR 3.5 (made to my specifications - a slightly cut down PR 4). I have also used a Red Oxx Gator for my CPAP, but I agree it is a very tight fit. The Empire Builder worked best for the load configuration for this trip. Yes, the Empire Builder probably doesn't technically qualify as a "personal item", but I've never been challenged and I've always thought that I could use the CPAP extra bag argument. By the way, I also carry a TB shop bag in my carry-on stuff for the purpose of reducing the size (mainly thickness) of the Empire Builder if someone wants to get technical.

I also used a 22" rollaboard style carry-on piece containing a 100 watt transceiver, scuba regulators and dive computer and light, lithium nano phosphate batteries for the transceiver, antenna analyzer, a change of clothes, etc. This rolling bag had to be gate checked on the leg into and out of Dominca. This was not a lightweight trip as I also had 70 pounds of checked luggage (the American Eagle limit for their fights to/from Dominica). But that is the price you pay when you are on a ham radio dxpedition and doing some scuba diving as well.

I just returned from a 7 day (8 leg) trip into British Columbia using only my Smart Alec and Aeronaut. I put my Everest 2 CPAP (including humidifier) on it's side, on the bottom of the Smart Alec, and wedged cords, hose, and mask all around it at the base of the bag. I then added a fully loaded Co-Pilot lengthwise on top of the CPAP in the Smart Alec. Everything fit securely and tight and I snugged the bungie cord up so that it shrunk the bag profile nicely. A little bit of an inconvenience to pull out for security checks, but not difficult.

Anyway, it was a bit heavy with iPad, and all of my other electronics, but worked very well as my personal carry-on. All of my 7-day's worth of clothing fit nicely in the Aeronaut. I flew on a small prop plane on 4 legs of the trip and simply put the Aeronaut on the tarmac cart before climbing on board. Anyway, is easily the international solution for CPAP and all carry-on that I've been looking for. The weight was a bit tiring, but not unbearable!
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

This is really good information. I just received my Checkpoint Flyer today. I think I could probably fit my CPAP in that bag with my laptop, but that is an awful lot to carry on the shoulder. I will probably have to figure out a way to put the CPAP in the backpackable bag. I just made my first short trip with my Tri-Star, which worked well. I used a Red Oxx PR4 for the CPAP, which worked, but is a bit bigger than I would like. A PR 3.5 sounds like a good compromise. What are the dimensions, if you don't mind me asking. I am starting to think the CPAP in an Aeronaut, along with the Checkpoint Flyer might be my final business trip solution. I'm a little worried the Aeronaut will be too big on some of the smaller planes. I've had problems on CRJ's before with 9" height bags that were packed full, and the CPAP inside that bag won't help matters. I think the CF will help though at security. It seems I have a caravan of stuff on the conveyor with my two bags, 311 bag, laptop, cpap, coat and shoes, and sometimes an ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    I used a Red Oxx PR4 for the CPAP, which worked, but is a bit bigger than I would like. A PR 3.5 sounds like a good compromise. What are the dimensions, if you don't mind me asking.
    The PR 4 dimensions are 19"Lx9"Wx9"H while the PR 3.5 (designed by me as an adaptation) is 16"Lx8"Wx11"H. Basically went with a shorter, narrower and slightly taller bag (center compartment padded).

But, don't overlook the Zephyr. I think it to be one of the best bags for a CPAP machine, particularly if you are looking for a smaller bag and it is padded, as a plus. I use it when not having to take a lot of extras with me.

Thanks Mike! I will definitely check out the Zephyr more closely. While the PR4 has worked for me when I used it, it's too long. A length of 15" or 16" would work better as an underseat bag, including a packing cube or packing tube for the hose and mask, travel docs, and ipad. I will be road testing the Checkpoint Flyer in Mid-May. More to come.

My Everest 2 CPAP is 6" height, 5" width, and 6" in length. I laid it on the bottom of my Smart Alec so that it was 5" from bottom to top. I wedged the hose and power cords toward the front of the bag (CPAP) and on the sides. So, the CPAP machine took the bottom 5" of the Smart Alec up completely. I put my Co-Pilot lengthwise (12 more inches) on top of the CPAP, so I basically used 17 inches of the 18+ inch Smart Alec. My Co-Pilot was 'packed' with iPad in Tom Bihn sleeve, my meds, Kindle, ipod touch with in-ear phones, passport in pouch, credit cards in pouch, cell phone and a book. Once I arrived, I just carried the Co-Pilot around and it worked nicely. To be honest, the Smart Alec was heavy and I felt the weight of carrying it an a packed Aeronaut from one end of Vancouver BC international terminal to the puddle jumpers that took me to Victoria. I never had a problem slipping my Smart Alec under the seat of the smallest planes; however, you simply have to let them load it in the plane when you're on the tarmac. Those little planes don't have the space. It was still easy enough to do everything as carryon. Just an FYI, the Empire Builder has a 5" wide main compartment which would have worked as well. The trick is carrying the CPAP (with humidifier) and all of your other tech gear in just the one bag. It did get heavy through the airport though!
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0