Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Question Breve for Original iPad?

I love the new Breve for iPad 2! By chance will the original iPad fit as well?
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Yes! The Breve fits both the iPad and the iPad 2.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Is the Breve "TSA" approved -- like the Cache? I got the Cache for my ipad specifically because I don't want to put it through security "naked."

Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes! The Breve fits both the iPad and the iPad 2.
    Awesome! Thank you, Darcy!!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Quote Originally Posted by csutter View Post
    Is the Breve "TSA" approved -- like the Cache? I got the Cache for my ipad specifically because I don't want to put it through security "naked."
    You should not have to even "declare" your iPad to TSA! We have taken several trips and not once have we been asked to remove it from our LCB's!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana8 View Post
    You should not have to even "declare" your iPad to TSA! We have taken several trips and not once have we been asked to remove it from our LCB's!
    Its the same here in the UK and Spain. I've carried mine at least 20 times, and even though my wife tries to insist that they will need to see it, they don't. So it just stays in my Ristetto.

Interesting. That has not been my experience in the US. I have been asked to take my Ipad out and put it through several times. My default now has been just to take it out which has been annoying but since it resides in a nice tom bihn cache it is usually nice and safe
    Empire builder (Black,black, steel), Ristretto for Ipad (Steel/Wasabi), Synapse (Indigo/Solar) 2 padded organizer pouches, 3D organizer, ultasuede cloth, cache for ipad, cache for Macbook air 11", clear waller, 2 absolute straps

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Its the same here in the UK and Spain. I've carried mine at least 20 times, and even though my wife tries to insist that they will need to see it, they don't. So it just stays in my Ristetto.
    Last Christmas I carried my Ipad inside a shoulder bag and was stopped by a grumpy security man at Edinburgh airport that said I was carrying a computer and hadn't taken it out. I argued it was an Ipad and didn't need to but he replied they still had to check it so he took it away with him for a while.
    My husband said they were probably playing some games or checking their email
    Maybe it was just a one off because they didn't bother when we returned.

Japan always!

Living and traveling in Japan they ALWAYS ask for the IPAD to be taken out!

Quote Originally Posted by csutter View Post
    Any case or sleeve that has exterior pockets isn't "checkpoint friendly" because you might put things in those pockets, therefore obstructing the view of the laptop. That said, many customers put their laptop in the Brain Cell (which has an exterior pocket) through the x-ray machines without issue, making sure though not to have put anything in its exterior pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    unfortunately, the experience as you go through security can really vary.

i'll ask if i need to take my liquids out when i go through security. sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no.

they don't generally fuss about the size of the liquid container anymore, but it's not always the case. i've been allowed through with a big tube of toothpaste and i've been made to throw away a smaller (but larger than 3oz) shaving cream container.

i've left my macbook air (which tsa says doesn't need to be taken out like other laptops) as i go through security and i had no issues. and at other times, they've made me send it back through outside of whatever bag it was in.

i've had no issues not taking my ipad out as i went through security, and i've had security tell me it needs to be taken out.

some years back, security at jfk told me that i couldn't take my 1.7 fluid ounce bottles of shampoo and conditioner through because they weren't labeled. what does labeling have to do with anything? just because a bottle says shampoo on it doesn't mean that i can't empty it and fill it with conditioner or whatever else. but that was their policy, despite the fact that at the time, the tsa website showed an example of what was considered acceptable and the image had nalgene bottles (which are not labeled). i ended up throwing them away.

the important thing to having it go smoothly is to be flexible. if they say to take something out for screening, it's a good idea to cooperate. if they say you can't take it with you, and you can't reasonably convince them, you'll need to make a decision whether you want to check that item or toss it.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I forgot to take my liquids out at Bristol (UK) the other day, and they dragged me back to have them scanned, but my iPad stayed in the Ristretto along with my keys, phone, wallet, sunnies, pens, ear buds etc. But I fly at least four time a month, always to or from Edinburgh, but, since I've had my iPad, to Alicante and San Javier (both Spain), and to Birmingham and Bristol in the UK, without once being asked for my iPad, but always for my MacBook. I never questioned whether my MBAir needed to come out, I just put it out in an InCase 'cache'. My MBPro usually goes through in an InCipio Feather case that fits in my Ristretto. to stop in getting scratched.

As an aside I dropped my MBP the other day when I accidentally pushed it off a dinning chair on to a ceramic tiled floor. The MBP survived unharmed, but the Feather split. I suppose thats what its supposed to do i.e. sacrifice itself to protect the MBP, but I was a little disappointed that it broke so easily. Still, I was getting tired of the rather PC like matt black. I think I might try a clear skin next.

Quote Originally Posted by adealarcon View Post
    Interesting. That has not been my experience in the US. I have been asked to take my Ipad out and put it through several times. My default now has been just to take it out which has been annoying but since it resides in a nice tom bihn cache it is usually nice and safe
    It's my opinion that the frontline folks all just kind of come up with their own variation. I've gone through airports in the last year that specifically ask to take out iPads. It's almost like they want to make it easier on thieves or something.

My iPad is in a black folio that can go through the machines, so I usually put it in a tray along with my shoes and 3-1-1 bag. I will push my Western Flyer through first, and then wait to make sure the person ahead of me has gone through the detector, and then push the tray in. I don't leave the queue until the tray has gone into the machine, and that way I increase the odds that my iPad will be safe coming out the other end.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0