Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Selvage

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    @Moose, I received Dyneema mostly and a wee bit of Codura.
    I am going to try to make kitchen scrubbers, bath scrubbers, I think the Dyneema would work nicely for that. I am also contemplating crocheting or knitting a mat, ie door mat. I don't have pets so I wasn't trying to make a pet bed, but I would think it could be fine. . . I have a few other ideas but will have to just play with the strands and see what happens.
    Stitches South is a fiber festival put on each year by XRX the publishing company in Atlanta GA. It's a huge event with hundreds of yarn and fiber shops represented, as well as yarn, needle, fiber companies as sponsors. There is the market that you buy a ticket to for a small fee and have access to shop at the booths with much greater variety than you would have at your few local yarn stores. There is also a fashion show where various designers showcase their knitwear designs, and various yarn textures and materials are displayed. It's a great place for ideas. The last few years I've been able to go to market for more than one day, so yesterday was a first to be limited to just the one day. Being just the one day, it was still a blast!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

@dorayme, I'm glad you enjoyed Stitches South! It's only a 6 hour drive for me and I have friends to stay with in Atlanta. I was planning to go this year but then pregnancy happened and the timing just isn't right. Maybe next year my little family can take the trip together...or maybe Daddy will watch the boys at home while Mommy escapes for a few days.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    @Janine, It would have been so fun to meet up with you irl. Maybe next year you can all come. I would love to see the littles as well! We have made it a family trip while I had a nursling. My daughter weaned around Christmas time so this year was my first year solo.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

I just got home to not only one, but two packages! Okay, one was my Breve, but still.. two boxes.

I organized it all out. I think I can use the dyneema as the warp, but I'm not sure it would make a very thick rug if I used it as the weft (what you weave). It might, however, make a very cool bag if I can figure out how to sew it together, maybe I'll edge it in cotton or something.

Gotta say, I don't have any of the red dyneema bags and now I'm thinking I need one Maybe a braided keystrap so people could order a useful fabric swatch?

edited cause I can't spell.

@dorayme, that would be great! Are you in the Tom Bihn group on Ravelry? I wonder if they had a meetup this year at Stitches South.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Check out the surprise Katy received today from the amazing gochicken!

Name:  slippers1a2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  slippers3a2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  251.1 KB

Solar bags might be disappearing quickly, but we still have some Solar selvage if anyone's interested:

Name:  solarselvage.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  348.6 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

So creative and colourful! That takes skill too!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Mr. UPS just dropped off my package.... THANK YOU for the bag of selvages!!! School's almost out.... I'm planning on scheduling in a little time for myself this summer to play with them (the selvages, not the kids), share with my mom, and get creative. Must knit more slippers also!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

The slippers are the most amazing I have ever seen....lovely, lovely. And you know I am not easy to please...LOL!
    We live in a time of so much throw away--that such creative re-use is inspiring...thank you.

A second round of kudos on the slippers. They inspired me to take Tom Bihn up on the offer of a selvage lot. There's a pattern I've been meaning to knit for awhile now and I think this would be an interesting material for it.
    Smart Alec, Cadet (11/i), Little Swift, Field Journal Notebook, Organizer Pouches, Organizer Wallet, Yarn Stuff Sacks, Key Straps, Snake Charmer, Zipper Pulls, Strapeez

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'm not sure how braided rugs are made, but a Dyneema/cordura braided rug could be pretty cool.
    I would LOVE to braid a Dyneema rug! Cordura might be softer/nicer on bare feet, but I understand those scraps are less likely to be available.
    How long are the scraps? I'm not sure what the minimum length would be, but if they are long enough for me to attach to each other, I could knit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    A note on the pet beds idea-- I don't know if those who want to make pet beds plan to use them for their own pets or donate them, but in my experience volunteering at animal shelters, they only accept (or use) pet beds that can be bleached and machine washed. Anything else will be used once and thrown away.
    I was thinking of the pet beds at home. Right now, the interiors of the Molly Mutt beds are all old clothes, old towels, etc -- they get thrown in the washer all together. I know shelters are necessarily more strict about their bedding, I just wasn't thinking beyond home. (Can you tell it's been a challenging semester? I can't believe I didn't get around to replying before!)
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec.

I'd like to give Dyneema-scrap-crafting a try. Any bags of selvage left? Or is this an "invite only" gig?

Thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garagesci View Post
    I'd like to give Dyneema-scrap-crafting a try. Any bags of selvage left? Or is this an "invite only" gig?

Thanks!
    There's plenty left -- send us an email (customerservice@tombihn.com) with your address and we'll send you a bunch.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0