Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aeronaut or Tristar

Super Moderator
    Note: I have both; the Aeronaut I purchased used (from a forum user), the Tri-Star I bought new.

If I could truly keep only one, it would probably be the Tri-Star, but if I could order a bag to spec, if might be an Aeronaut with some Tri-Star features (more flexible outside pockets) and closer to the Tri-Star's size, but with less interior organization.

Went on a 3-day trip recently, had both to hand, chose to travel with the Tri-Star because of the slightly smaller size. Either one was more space than I truly needed, which (in that case) was actually a plus for the interior pockets of the Tri-Star -- it doesn't get floppy when underfilled. The downside to the interior divisions to me is mostly weight -- the Tri-Star is way lighter than an equivalent hard-side, Yes, but the heavy-duty dividers do add ounces.

It's a hard choice, though -- which is why I see that the original poster, and so many commenters have taken the same path and bought both

timothy

mjb
    I have both now as well. It's my 3rd Tom Bihn bag.

I just used an Aeronaut and an Empire Builder for a 5-week North American tour. The Aeronaut held the typical stuff (clothes, toiletries, coffee maker, misc), while my Empire Builder was my portable office (laptop, printer, files, etc).

While in Philadelphia, a friend showed me his Tri-star, which he used for a 3-month trip in Asia. I ordered my Tri-star the next day, and will use it for a 5-day trip to Brazil next month. I'll carry my clothes, laptop, printer, and some audio gear in there and should have plenty of room left over.

Coffee maker?
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    Coffee maker?
    lol... but, of course!

(Those initials "M J B" in the username may tell a tale...)

Hi all,
    From reading the last three posts it seems that maybe everyone doesn't travel with coffee making supplies. I never leave home without mine. I have a small water heater, a fold up Melita like dripper gizzmo, filters, a whole kit. Its really small and weighs next to nothing. The filter gizzmo is round and when packed, about 5" in diameter and about a half inch thick. I'm hoping my little kit will fit well in the middle section of the Tri-Star that will be in my next order.
    Happy travels,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I used to, back when many hotels I encountered had these weird and crazy interpretations of what a "clean" coffemaker in the room was.

I have a little plastic stick and coffee filters with holes in them. Add coffee, stick the stick through the holes, rest on top of a coffee cup, pour boiling water, and voila! I'm going to look into that coffee travel kit!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I have a little plastic stick and coffee filters with holes in them. Add coffee, stick the stick through the holes, rest on top of a coffee cup, pour boiling water, and voila! I'm going to look into that coffee travel kit!
    Hi Jenne,
    Those filter and stick set ups work fairly well. I got my dripper thing at LLBean. It was a bit pricey but when it comes to a decent cup of coffee in the moring I'm not picky about an extra couple of dollars. If you get a water heater get one with the metal clip, not the plastic ones. The plastic ones don't work worth a hoot as far as I'm concerned.
    Happy travels,
    Moose

Well, it has been a bit since I posted last but I have been pretty busy. I thought I would share my experience with my Aeronaut and ID. The ID was perfect and so was the Aeronaut with the backpack straps. I over packed it and paid the price but had no choice.

I thought I would share my experience was on a CRJ-700 upon entering the plane another passenger commented "I see why you use soft side" and then as we exited the plane I watched a long line at the end of the ramp waiting for their gate checked rollers.
    I breezed right by and it made the purchase all worth while.

Thanks TOM BIHN!
    Jenne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb View Post
    I have both now as well. It's my 3rd Tom Bihn bag.

I just used an Aeronaut and an Empire Builder for a 5-week North American tour. The Aeronaut held the typical stuff (clothes, toiletries, coffee maker, misc), while my Empire Builder was my portable office (laptop, printer, files, etc).

While in Philadelphia, a friend showed me his Tri-star, which he used for a 3-month trip in Asia. I ordered my Tri-star the next day, and will use it for a 5-day trip to Brazil next month. I'll carry my clothes, laptop, printer, and some audio gear in there and should have plenty of room left over.
    Must admit - I'd love to see his packing list!

mjb
    Coffee maker?
    I bring an Aeropress and a grinder with me on tour. Makes life a little more bearable!

I travel to many places where coffeemakers in the room are non-existent. And since I like a cup of coffee first thing in the morning--even though I eventually go out for a good one--I carry a small kit that's very lightweight and works fine:

Dual Voltage Immersion Heater
    Fold-a-cup (Fold-A-Cup | Magellan's Travel Supplies)
    Coffee--either Starbucks instant sticks, individual coffee bags (like Folgers)
    Either powder creamer or Splenda

(If anyone has some ideas for a better cup-a-joe without carrying lots of extra equipment, let me know.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 04-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

HI Frank,
    I cannot imagine a lighter weight coffee kit. The Starbucks instant is ok if I add salt. The only thing that might be easier is Folgers coffee bags. My mom likes them, I don't. Maybe we should start a seperate coffee kit thread.
    Happy travels,
    Moose

mjb
    Hmm, I bet the Aeropress, grinder, and a vacuum canister of beans would fit nicely inside a Co-Pilot.

I thought I was the only person crazy enough to add a coffee maker to my one bag kit! Mine is a lightweight aluminum cup coated in some kind of porcelain looking coating--light weight if a bit bulky. I use a mini sized Melitta cone coffee filter that I've punched with a hole punch, propped with crossed coffee stirrers to hold it over the cup. A sandwich sized ziptop baggie (or a quart ziplock for longer trips) of ground coffee and I'm good to go. I always bring a cup-sized immersion heater, though with luck there will be an electric kettle in my room. Still, can't take chances...

I have to admit, those Via sticks are pretty darned good for instant coffee. I stocked up on the Tribute ones for my upcoming summer travel--I will probably tote along a couple dozen to China, where decent coffee is hard to come by. They weigh practically nothing, so when every ounce counts, they're awfully handy.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0