Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aeronaut or Tristar

Congrats Bennero! I hope you love it (you will) !

Post some pics of your first packing experience!

Thanks Jeffmac. I hope so to. I was like a kid in candy store last night when they arrived. My laughed at me when I was "playing with" my new toys!

So I juts got my empire builder and I love it so far. My only question is which bag is heavier w/o anything inside it? The Aeronaut or the Tristar? The empire builder was surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be.

The Tristar is 3.4 pounds versus the Aeronaut at 2.71 pounds, so it is more than half a pound heavier.

Worth the additional weight for me on the organization...I think.

I have not had both bags next to each other, but I am not a big fan of the big, main compartment luggage approach.

You can definitely feel the weight difference. I will be figuring out the bags again on Thursday. My house is being packed up today as I am moving back to the US from Japan. All of my clothes are packed in the suitcases in EC cubes and what not so on Thursday I will see again how everything fits.

The Tris-Star is a very professional looking bag, living in Japan and traveling quite a bit you see all the Tumi style bags and it looks really good in comparison. I have the Osprey Porter so I sit on the fence with this because it is very similar to the Aeronaut, my wife does not like the Tri-Star so she is a major influence as well. She will be at work so I can take my time to play.

Why make two so perfect bags?

Quote Originally Posted by bennero View Post
    my wife does not like the Tri-Star
    Any particular reasons?

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier that the main difference between the Aeronaut and the Tri-Star (besides the size) is in how it is packed.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

My wife just likes the way it looks. Friday is my day to pack them, I will post
    Pics with EC packing cubes so the difference can be seen. Enjoying my first day of retirement leave tomorrow!
    Friday is my day to play with the bags.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennero View Post
    Friday is my day to pack them, I will post
    Pics with EC packing cubes so the difference can be seen. Enjoying my first day of retirement leave tomorrow!
    Congratulations! Looking forward to your photos.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post

So don't make me pick...

(OK...Tristar. But only because you made me...)
    Thanks flitcraft for the smile that gave me.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    be done with this thread and get both bags!!!!! you will eventually, like all of us here.
    Soooo TRUE!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I have an Aeronaut and use it as my clothes dresser. It's fantastic and I have have the added bonus of my clean clothes always being packed. Yes, I live out of a suitcase and haven't had any desire to use a traditional dresser. The Aeronaut is just that good and my wardrobe is just not that large. What a fantastic bag.
    snowbot likes this.

Hey everybody, my wife was wondering how much you can pack into the aeronaut. We have a 17-week old baby, and we were wondering if it would be possible to the majority or almost everything we have into the aeronaut when we travel? If we could then we would totally buy the bag. We have a three night trip coming up, so we are wondering if it would be possible. Thanks, Trying to convince her that its okay to get a bag without wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Auha View Post
    Hey everybody, my wife was wondering how much you can pack into the aeronaut. We have a 17-week old baby, and we were wondering if it would be possible to the majority or almost everything we have into the aeronaut when we travel? If we could then we would totally buy the bag. We have a three night trip coming up, so we are wondering if it would be possible. Thanks, Trying to convince her that its okay to get a bag without wheels.
    Can you tell us what you hope to bring with you.

How much clothes do you and your wife plan to take, are the clothes going to be casual, formal or a mix of both? How much items for the baby? Are you taking any electronics?

Congrats on the baby!

DECISION:
    Keeping the Aeronaut! My Osprey Porter holds more but is not the same quality as my wife pointed out.

I have been trying to get time to take pictures but life keeps getting in the way. I have stuffed the Aeronaut full and tried to put some of the items in the Tri-Star, obviously not going to hold the same amount but I am amazed at the amount it can hold.

List:
    1. 15" EC Packing Cube -4 dress shirts
    2. 15" EC Packing Cube -1 pr of jeans, 1 pr of cargo pants, 3 pair of shorts
    3. EC Pack it cube with 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 short sleeve shorts
    4. EC Pack it cube with 5 pr under garments, 6 pr of socks.
    5. Watch holder with my collection of 7 watches ( I am moving otherwise 1 will do)
    6. Aeronaut packing cube with swimsuit and rash guard top
    7. Ziplock bag with 2 belts

Side pocket (1)
    Clear quarter packing cube stuffed with cables
    Bose Over the Ear Headphones

Side Pocket (2)
    EC Pack it shoe sac-Five Fingers and Keen Sandals

It is stuffed and heavy but will hold it.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I decided to get the Aeronaut because most of my trips or at least one week long, and it seems fit to actually have enough room for everything when I travel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0