Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

The Perfect Bag-Co-Pilot- Just bigger ="A Senior Pilot"

For the record I am a bag-o-holic. People collect things items or whatever, I collect bags. Love the pockets, gadgets and all that. I have a Co-Pilot and love it, small cafe bag as a "Man Purse" on the weekends. My son has stole my Co-Pilot for his Ipad.
    I was thinking that as perfect as the Co-Pilot is, it could be bettered by adding 2 inches to it. I would love to be able to carry my Macbook Pro in it and my Ipad at the same time. Then I would have my perfect bag.

Just a thought.

Senior-Pilot, "Captain" is a good idea from the Co-Pilot

I have a black Co-Pilot and have been using it for a little more than a month. The quality in the workmanship and the organizational pockets are such a treat. I know the bag was designed for an I-Pad and not for a lap top etc. yet I too wouldn't mind a larger version of this bag.

Over the holidays I was away for a night or two and used the Co-Pilot as my over-night bag. Packed full, to the point where it was so stuffed I couldn't access what I needed without placing it down and taking several things out (really enjoy those organizer pouches and the 3D clear organizer cube!). Sure, I knew it would hold everything and it was crammed (weighed over 6 lbs when stuffed with my gear!) but I wouldn't have minded a little more space. Personally, on a plane with this bag as my seat-bag, I would want a little more room for access. Granted if it would hold a 13" MacBook Pro - all the better.

One thing I noticed about the Co-Pilot - the large main segment has the two roomy pockets. If I fill those - such as with my heavy, very thick Filofax, plus a full 3D clear organizer cube in the two pockets - there really doesn't leave room for much else.

Yes, I have a Western Flyer on my wish list, but I wouldn't mind a slightly larger verion of the Co-Pilot. I know there are others - like the Imago - but my hope would be a larger version in the future.
    (This is my first post - it's about time!)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The Pilot is still to debut... maybe in 2011.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

YEA! Thank you Darcy for the news! I too look forward to a slightly larger Co-Pilot...

(I just posted my packing list of my black Co-Pilot. Even if small - this bag holds a great deal!)

Would it just be a larger Co-Pilot, with a similar layout, or a different design altogether, just similar in use?

Wink Me Too

My CoPilot is stuffed to the gills. So a little larger would fit the bill.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I am glad that I am not the only one to want a larger Co-Pilot. Darcy, will the "Pilot" be the same design and just bigger? If so I will wait and not purchase an ID or EGO and use the "Pilot" for my everyday bag and it will be a perfect combo with the Tri-Star or Aeronaut.

When will this be for purchase? I hope sooooooooon.
    Last edited by bennero; 12-29-2010 at 06:34 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I don't know if or how different the Pilot will be -- we'll see what Tom comes up with!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

dzd
    The Co-Pilot is approx. 600 cu.in., and the Western Flyer is about 1600 cu.in. I hope the Pilot will be about mid-way between those 2 - like approximately 900-1000 cu.in. I think that would be big enough to contain all the stuff you'd put into a Co-Pilot, plus that light-to-medium weight jacket/pullover/sweater that I often drag around.

Anyway - I am looking forward to it! I like these bags that are like mini/small briefcases, but that have a more casual look (Stiff corporate look, be gone!). Looks like the main options for these bags are laptop/netbook bags that are either too big, too thin, too ugly, too many pockets, too padded, or all of the above! And they don't have that balance of functionality + refined simplicity + casualness + looks/quality that is typical of TB.

I had heard some ladies here saying that they made the Co-Pilot their everyday purse. I didn't really "get" that, since it's not as "stylish" against your body as a typical purse, or even a Cafe Bag. But after I received my Co-Pilot, I got it. Shortly after receiving the bag, I removed all the tags - barely giving it a chance to be sent back to TB.

Thanks for the response. Maybe we can influence or beg Tom to make it the same only bigger. I love everything about it I just want to be able to carry my Macbook Pro 13" in it and then there would not be any other bag needed.

I wouldn't mind if Tom added a few more interior pockets as well. Like an additional ultrasuede pocket...for those that want to carry an I-Touch plus a mobile phone. (Not everyone has / wants an I-Phone for that all in one.) Plus maybe a small pocket for the ear buds or a blue tooth.

As much as I like the organizer pouches, I still want interior organization of multiple pockets - easier to grab something from it's designated pocket rather than pulling out the pouch even if it is on a strap.

Forgot to mention as I find messenger style flaps cumbersome so all the more I look forward to a "Pilot".

Just chiming in that I'd welcome a larger version as well. I might have bought it instead of my Zephyr as a more versatile but still neat-looking briefcase.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0