Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

synapse bag pocket question...

when you take a peek inside the two vertical outside pockets, you can see a hole that leads into the water bottle compartment. i wonder why this hole inside this pocket has not been sown closed? does this hole serve a specific purpose?

thanks,

b.f.

Volunteer Moderator
    one thing you'll find with the bags that tom bihn makes is that even the smallest, seemingly insignificant detail is not without purpose.

tom can best answer this question, but i would venture to guess that it helps the bag retain a natural shape when the front pockets aren't full.

It's certainly for construction reasons, if you look at the spot, you'll see that it would be a multi layer sewing. As the sides of the bottle pocket are not waterproof you don't need to close these holes anyway.

i think the holes, there are in fact two holes at the bottom of each pocket, are there so that when you put a bottle inside the bottle compartment, you get the corners of the bottle tucked in securely. it's like if you had a square bottle, each of the corner of the bottom of the bottle would neatly fit into the holes and actually the holes aren't really inside the vertical pockets, the 4 holes are part of the bottle compartment mesh fabric, if you know what i mean.

I'm with ratdeau—my guess is that it was a manufacturing decision. (Maybe so it could be sewn inside-out and turned outside-in?)

This is like the blind men and the elephant.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0