Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So under the assumption the WF is the way forward for me....now just need to accessorise!

I'm thinking the front compartment (with the divider) could be used for gym kit incl. trainers and then the back bit for the work items. Would these below all fit?

Front Section:

- Small Packing Cube for clothes - I'm assuming I can only have a small cube as I will also have trainers in here. Can you put clothes in a small cube or is it a bit pointless and maybe should just put directly into the bag?
    - Small Packing Cube for trainers - Would this hold size 12 (UK) shoes?

Back Section:
    - Brain Cell - Any idea on size for a IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with 9 cell battery??
    - Horizontal Freudian Slip for the documents
    - Snake Charmer for the leads - I assume this can be used, even though it states it is for the Brain Bag and Smart Alec bags?

Also;

- Absolute Shoulder Strap
    - Key Strap

Hi TC:

There are two zippered compartments outside the bag--and these easily hold a well filled toiletry bag --for example, I carry the Tom Bihn Clear one there and it holds that easily. Instead of Snake Charmer, I would suggest getting 2 smaller and flatter Small Clear organizers so you can separate your cables in them. The reason is that these can then hang in the front or back compartments on the O-rings and take up little space. The Snake Charmer will be a bit bulky. I love the small organizer pouches: I put USB, Iphone charger, etc. in one; and the laptop charger in another. They DO fit. And they hang easily without being in the way.
    Since you will be carrying the bag, I am not sure you need a Brain Cell. You can save some space in the main compartment by using the Cache, unless you feel that you must have the additional protection of the Brain Cell. I have been very happy with the Cache.

Front Section: you can put your shoes in one side of the divided compartment. The front compartment has a zipper down the middle--so you can make it into 2 or one big compartment as your needs change. So one side wd hold your shoes, and the other side will easily hold your small packing cube + other stuff.

Trust me: you will find that the WF swallows up a lot; and when empty looks like a briefcase.

Get it in Steel--I love that color. It looks sharp!

s

Also check out Maverick's wonderful video on the Western Flyer. It is under videos I believe!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2001 View Post
    - Brain Cell - Any idea on size for a IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400 with 9 cell battery??
    You should probably email customerservice@tombihn.com with the dimensions of that - since Brain Cells for the Thinkpad T400 w/ 4-cell and 6-cell batteries are listed, but not for the 9 cell.

Seems I made a mistake and it's a 6-cell battery, although measurements are different to what is on the Lenovo website, so Katy is very kindly looking into this for me.

Looks like the below is going to be my final list....

Backpack Straps Black/Steel Western Flyer - $200
    Absolute Shoulder Strap - $30
    Waist Strap - $5

Zipper Sections:
    8" Key Strap - $2.00
    Medium Black Organiser Pouch - $11.00

Front Section - Gym Kit:
    Small Steel Packing Cube x 2 - $30

Back Section - Work items:
    Black Horizontal Freudian Slip - $40.00
    Size TBC Horizontal Cache - $30.00
    Medium Black Organiser Pouches x 2 - $22.00

Total - $370

Final few questions if anyone can help....

1) Does the above list of accessories look like it will all fit in the back, along with all my items?
    2) What will a small packing cube hold? Is one likely to hold my size 12 (UK) trainers?
    3) If I get the optional waist strap, will this hide-away with the straps as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Also check out Maverick's wonderful video on the Western Flyer. It is under videos I believe!
    Funny, but I can't seem to find any video about the Western Flyer on Tom Bihn's YouTube Channel.

Same, looked through all of them and posts but couldn't find one :-(

Hi, tc.

A suggestion: Instead of two medium pouches in black, maybe one in steel. That way you can tell them and their contents apart, especially as they are both going in the same compartment.

It's going to be better than Christmas when your order arrives. I think the Freudian Slip is the best accessory ever.

Then it's unanimous! We need to ask Maverick to make a new video demo for the Western Flyer!

Problem solved!

Sorry about that: looks like Maverick has to do duty on Western Flyer! Most neglectful!

TC:
    1. I am not sure why you went with the Medium Organizer pouches? The battery pack for the MacBook, for example, fits easily into the Small Organizer pouch; and cables and docks for Iphone, Blackberry etc fit into small. Medium will take up more space than needed. I would recommend going with at least one or two small pouches, and ONE medium pouch. The medium pouch can hold a lot..
    2. The backpocket will hold all that you have listed.
    3. You will have to ask Katy or Casey at TB to check on whether your shoes will fit the small packing cube.
    3. I would also say that you can get the pouches in different colors, and the Solar is spectacular. I also love the "pouch that becomes a backpack" sized for the WF. The advantage is that you can pack things in there, and if you run out of space, you can wear it as a backpack--useful if you want to mix and match things. And it works as a packing cube very efficiently.
    4. Freudian Organizer: I like it; but it does take up space; and cos it is stiff--I have not been able to use it always. I prefer carrying the lighter weight plastic folders to keep my files; or even put into a medium organizer pouch!

5. Waist straps: are you sure you need it? I have not needed mine at all.....

The backpack straps are very comfortable. And the absolute shoulder strap is worth every $$$.

take care
    s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0