Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aiethabell

Thread: Question re Co-Pilot material

Question re Co-Pilot material

I have my eye on the Co-Pilot! My plan is to pack it in another bigger bag when I travel, and then pull it out for daily use when I get to my destination. So I'm wondering about the differences between the dyneema and the ballistic nylon. That is, I like the solid color look of the ballistic nylon...but it seems that the dyneema fabric will be much more "smooshable" and packable? I'm afraid that the ballistic nylon Co-Pilot is too "structured" and will take up room when packing it in a larger bag?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

I originally ordered the Dyneema Co-Pilot because of this very issue. I already know the Dyneema is super packable, can be folded up into a small ball, and has the strength attributes of Samson. I have Dyneema all over; see the list below.

However, that said, I changed my order to Indigo ballistic upon holding a ballistic Co-Pilot. Like the Shop bag, the Co-Pilot has a stiffening piping strip around the front edge. It's not hard-stiff, but it would prevent folding the Co-Pilot up to put it in your pocket, like you can do with the Convertible Shoulder or Backpack bags. If you've ever tried to fold a Shop Bag smaller than its pockets, you'll know instantly what I mean.

Since front-to-back crushability is possible with the Co-Pilot, I estimated the difference to be less than an inch if bags of both materials were both empty. So, it's not a huge difference; the weight difference is about a half pound.

Which one to choose? If you already have a ballistic bag from Tom Bihn and want a matching pair, I'd say go for it. That was my deciding point. If weight/space is paramount, get the Dyneema with the caveat that you will have to pad fragile items since the Dyneema is thinner and much more flexible than any ballistic could ever be. If you add the padded cases for phone/iPod/camera/netbook you might find the weights to be even between the two fabrics.

My ballistic Co-Pilot fits into the center of the Aeronaut just fine. I have a large Aeronaut cube under it, and two half-full small cubes atop it when I have to stow the Co-Pilot. When I do it's only holding my netbook in a Cache and my wireless mouse in a small padded pouch, All the other usual items have been moved to other compartments of the Aeronaut, or on my body either in my jacket or my moneybelt. A full Co-Pilot of either material couldn't smoosh much.

However, one last thought: if you're a diehard Tom Binner, remember that other bags have been available in the Dyneema and no longer are... you could be bypassng a future rare collectors item. (Ask anyone who delayed getting a Dyneema Synapse how they feel about taking their time... waaaaahhhh!)
    Last edited by aiethabell; 07-22-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Packing Co-Pilot in Aeronaut
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Thanks! That was very helpful. It will be a tough choice.....and your last point about snapping up the dyneema in case it is discontinued is a good one.

Thanks so much for your help.

Get both! Tom Bihn would love you to do that!

aiethabell has pretty much said it all, but I'll expand a little. In your case the Dyneema would better suit you since you are packing it in another bag. All you need to protect your sensitive stuff is some padded soft pouches from TB. Keep in mind that regardless of Ballistic Nylon or Dyneema, if something heavy falls on your bag, everything in it is getting squished one way or the other.

On the other hand, the Ballistic nylon that TB uses is very very nice. I have it on my Western Flyer and ID bags and only wished they used that same material on the Buzz bag. Very hard wearing and doesn't attract dirt at all. Maybe its a better option if you tend to drag your bag or have it on the ground a lot. Not sure of Dyneema's capability to withstand constant rubbing?

I think you'd be happy regardless of which one you pick.

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    (Ask anyone who delayed getting a Dyneema Synapse how they feel about taking their time... waaaaahhhh!)
    You know, I just got my Synapse but a Dyneema one would be nice for this very purpose. I think ideally a Synapse in Dyneema would go in the Aeronaut and then you use the Co-Pilot for a carry on. When you arrive you pull out the Synapse for walking around town. Seems perfect for vacations.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

I ordered the Co-Pilot in dyneema precisely because how much I enjoy my Synapse in dyneema: light weight, easy to pack into another bag and it's got that unique look.

Quote Originally Posted by ltsching View Post
    I ordered the Co-Pilot in dyneema precisely because how much I enjoy my Synapse in dyneema: light weight, easy to pack into another bag and it's got that unique look.
    I'm trying really hard to not cry over missing out on that dyneema backpack.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

You all are very convincing! I'm going to go with the dyneema. Pics when it arrives.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0