Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Jay

Main compartment size, The Empire Builder vs. The Super Ego

Hello everybody!

I've been using an Empire Builder with great success for the past year however I find myself desiring something a little bigger, a way to carry along a water bottle and something that is easier to walk long distances or ride a bike with.

I just recently purchased a Brain Bag thinking that it would solve my problem however the backpack format is just not working for me, I still prefer the briefcase/messenger bag format as it's easier to access and keep my papers organized.

That said, it's obvious now that the Super Ego could very well be the perfect bag for me however it's dimentions has me a little worried as even though it is larger in regards to the liters it holds, it's still slightly narrower than the Empire Builder. In the main compartment of my Empire Builder I carry a Monolith (previous version to the vertical Brain Cell), a few folders, a writing pad, and one or two text books. So my question is, is it possible to maintain at least this amount of storage capacity with the Super Ego if I make this switch?
    Last edited by Jay; 07-22-2010 at 04:02 PM.

I don't think you will have an issue at all if you switch.
    One thing not entirely clear from the pics is that the S.E. is also taller than the E.B.
    This allows me to put things in up and down instead of sideways and get a lot more inside the S.E. than the E.B.
    Also the S.E. is less structured really and will conform to the load and your body differently while walking.

All I know is that I can get more in the S.E. for sure.

I posted some pics recently showing the amount I get in the S.E. including 2 computers.
    I will find it later but it should be easy to find if you can't wait..

Good Luck
    Ed

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Just a friendly reminder that we don't allow folks to sell their bags through these forums. You can post a link to the sale of your bag through a site like eBay or craigslist. Those sites are set up to facilitate such sales and these forums are not.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Just a friendly reminder that we don't allow folks to sell their bags through these forums. You can post a link to the sale of your bag through a site like eBay or craigslist. Those sites are set up to facilitate such sales and these forums are not.
    Opps, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService
    I don't think you will have an issue at all if you switch.
    One thing not entirely clear from the pics is that the S.E. is also taller than the E.B.
    This allows me to put things in up and down instead of sideways and get a lot more inside the S.E. than the E.B.
    Also the S.E. is less structured really and will conform to the load and your body differently while walking.

All I know is that I can get more in the S.E. for sure.

I posted some pics recently showing the amount I get in the S.E. including 2 computers.
    I will find it later but it should be easy to find if you can't wait..

Good Luck
    Ed
    Thank you for your reply! It sounds like you have experience with both bags. With the Empire Builder I found that it had a tendency to fall forward when set on the ground. Does the Super Ego have this same issue? I would think it wouldn't due to it's less structured construction.

I would say it stays put depending on the how much is in the front compartment.
    If there is enough in there to weigh the front of the bag down a little then it will form a base wider than will fall over.
    Hope that makes sense?

I know I have both and I now either need both when I travel or I seem to be taking the S.E. alone as it just seems more cavernous and flexible.

I really do usually carry at least 2 machines and up to 4 or 5 depending on my day. No one that sees this can believe it either!

I also carry Video,camera and radio gear around a lot. These bags are great.

two laptops in checkpoing flyer, empire builder, or zephyr

Look at the pics I posted here near the end of the post to get an idea.

Ed

I have an ego and it definitely falls forward if I have more in the front compartment than in the main compartment. I keep my netbook, cable, mouse pad and mouse in the front compartment. I keep folders, notebooks, and my kindle in the pack open pocket. In the center I keep my bento box and other various tupperware-ish food containers. So when I take out the food the bag will not stand up. I do find this annoying, but I don't see a way around it.

Having just looked at my SE I can honestly tell you ... its not fallen over. It is leaning slightly forward but its still upright. The main compartment has a 2XL brain cell (currently empty) with horizontal freudian (filled with a few pens and coduments). The front compartment is holding a snaked charmer with charging block, more pens, a knife, first aid patches, torch, keys, deoderant, sunglasses, spare lenses, lunchbox, camera and satnav. So its fair to say that the load is more towards the front. I am thinking that the 2X brain cell is wide enough to be providing a flat surface which is acting to stabalise the whole bag. I've also just inserted the laptop (a 19 inch dell studio 17 with extended battery) and its still upright....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0