Washable cloth sack for dirty clothes?

When I took my trip to Washington, DC last year, I took the "cheap approach" to internal luggage:

1. I did not wash anything while I was on my trip.
    2. I took my 3-1-1 items in a large, zip-loc bag.
    3. I took along a plain black drawstring garbage bag to bring all my dirty clothes home in.

Down the road whenever I take my next trip, I'm tentatively planning to purchase a Tom Bihn Aeronaut and accessories, including a 3D Organizer Packing Cube for the 3-1-1 items.

One accessory I'm like to get would be something to replace the garbage bag. I'd like to find a machine-washable drawstring sack (lightweight, but high quality and high capacity) to carry dirty clothes home in. Is there any place in particular anyone would recommend I look for this item?

Thanks in advance.

--The Mountain Man

I know it is not a drawstring bag but zippered pillow covers work great as washable dirty laundry bags.

They don't take any space, can be used on the plane stuffed with a sweater as your very own pillow, they are cheap and durable.

Look for them at dollar, discount and Target.

Some linen specialty stores might have them at a cheaper price, if they have sales.

I have used all sorts of drawstring laundry bags but they were heavy duty. Not small enough to be brought on a trip.

One small drawstring bag that can be washed easily is the Tall Yarn Stuff Sack, you can get two and use the Solar one with a "Laundry" orange sign for really foul stuff, and the Steel one with a "To Clean" sign.

I can assure you that none of your Dyneema stuff will ever be messed with by baggage inspectors, anywhere.

Let us know what solution turns out to be the most practical.

I have thought of getting these bamboo dressing bags: http://www.bamboo-bag.com/dressingbags.html

Very interesting insights. Thanks!

Post Duffel in a bag

We've always used one of the "duffels in a bag". Basically a nylon like material that stuffs itself into a bag about the size of a paperback novel.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

The problem with all those bags is that they have to be washed separately, in the case of the bamboo bags, they have to be turned inside out before being washed.

It doesn't say if they can be washed with the dirty laundry inside.

There is a world of difference between washing workout clothes and other really dirty garments and washing delicates.

I really do not want to handle the former and need to protect the later, especially on trips where specialty garments of the same kind might be impossible to find.

So there is a need to sort laundry on a small scale.

That is why I think Large Stuff Sacks are ideal.

Tom might even make an Extra Large Stuff Sack for portable spindles and large projects such as quilts, crocheted lace long shawls (perfect for summer occasions, including weddings) and big knitting projects involving multiple cones or big skeins of yarns.

Extra Large Stuff Sacks, double the length and the width of Large Stuff Sack would make ideal on the go laundry sorters.

Finicky people, such as myself, might use plastic bag to line the Stuff Sacks, especially for really dirty garments or use the Stuff Sacks only for delicates and clothes which need special handling.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-31-2010 at 12:12 PM.

A bag within a bag within a bag? Wow.

That's organization!

When I travelled to DC in '09, I arrived there at night, took care of my business the next two days, then slept for a few hours and departed for home at 3:30 a.m. (That's the kind of deal Priceline gets you.) So you're talking about clothes for 2-4 days, and I took a suit with me for Capitol Hill so that's added bulk.

Oh, how I wish I had an Aeronaut or Tri-Star then. Even an Air Boss would have been welcome. Instead, I had a cheap garment bag that I checked at the gate, and the zipper busted at 3:30 a.m. Ever since, I've been thinking about what I would do to plan for my next big trip. I'm not flying anywhere without a high-quality carry-on travel bag. As far as I'm concerned, an Aeronaut is the prime candidate to be be part of the cost of my next trip.

As for what goes in it, I'll be turning over what's been suggested here in my mind.

I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks again, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    One accessory I'm like to get would be something to replace the garbage bag. I'd like to find a machine-washable drawstring sack (lightweight, but high quality and high capacity) to carry dirty clothes home in. Is there any place in particular anyone would recommend I look for this item?
    Hey MtnMan, did you ever come up with a good workable solution for your dirty clothes? I just got a new Tri-Star and have been wondering the same thing... For now, I think I'm going to try a medium size plastic compression bag (I already have some). They look like a big zip-lock bag, and you just roll them from the bottom to squeeze all the air out of your clothes. That would keep the dirty clothes (and smell) completely separate from the clean clothes and other stuff in my TS. It's also pretty light and folds up so it would take minimal space when I'm not using it.

The other idea is either a Tom Bihn backpack packing cube, or one of those Kiva keychain day packs that folds up into itself and makes a tiny little package you could literally clip on the outside of your bag. Either one of these ideas would do double/triple duty -- packing cube, daypack/backpack while at your destination, and something to put dirty clothes in while in transit. Both could be laundered easily to get the "stink" out.

I used to just use those disposable plastic laundry bags every hotel leaves in the room, but I hate feeling like I'm contributing to the HUGE accumulation of single-use plastic bags in our landfills.

-Dave

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0