Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

two laptops in checkpoing flyer, empire builder, or zephyr

I need to start carrying two laptops on business trips. One is a large 16" (approx. 15.4 x 10.6 x 1.5 inches), and the other is a 14" (approx. 13.3 x 9.4 x 1.3 inches). I have several questions regarding the possibility of carrying them both through airports in a Tom Bihn bag.

Will the 16" fit inside the main compartment of the Checkpoint Flyer if it's inside a neoprene sleeve while the 14" goes in the laptop compartment?
    If not, is it feasible to put the 16" in the laptop compartment and put the 14" in the main compartment?

I assume both would fit in the Empire builder using either Brain Cells, neoprene sleeves, or one of each.
    Would both of them fit in the Zephyr using two neoprene sleeves or one Brain Cell and one neoprene sleeve?

Does the Checkpoint Flyer fit beneath airline seats?
    Does the Empire Builder fit beneath airline seats?
    Does the Zephyr fit beneath airline seats?

I would appreciate a quick response as I need to buy a bag as soon as possible. Ideally I think I would like to be able to use a Checkpoint Flyer with the 16" in the main compartment, but I can't find any specs listing the size of the main compartment.

I just saw this post and I almost always carry 2 or more machines in my Empire Builder and Super Ego.

I have a Toughbook CF-30 in no case and a 13" Macbook Pro in a Mac Truck together most of the time.

Together or alone these are not small machines at all but either bag carries them better than I do when loaded down!

The last month I have been on the road and have added an iPad to the mix inside a Waterfield Sleeve I already had and these 3 with several notebooks(paper) and other crap have been breaking my shoulder in the Super Ego every day.

You can get a lot more into the S.E. than you ever want to carry.

Also The zippers have held up well against a few South Florida downpours much to my surprise.

These are great,flexible bags.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    I need to start carrying two laptops on business trips. One is a large 16" (approx. 15.4 x 10.6 x 1.5 inches), and the other is a 14" (approx. 13.3 x 9.4 x 1.3 inches). I have several questions regarding the possibility of carrying them both through airports in a Tom Bihn bag.

Will the 16" fit inside the main compartment of the Checkpoint Flyer if it's inside a neoprene sleeve while the 14" goes in the laptop compartment?
    If not, is it feasible to put the 16" in the laptop compartment and put the 14" in the main compartment?

I assume both would fit in the Empire builder using either Brain Cells, neoprene sleeves, or one of each.
    Would both of them fit in the Zephyr using two neoprene sleeves or one Brain Cell and one neoprene sleeve?

Does the Checkpoint Flyer fit beneath airline seats?
    Does the Empire Builder fit beneath airline seats?
    Does the Zephyr fit beneath airline seats?

I would appreciate a quick response as I need to buy a bag as soon as possible. Ideally I think I would like to be able to use a Checkpoint Flyer with the 16" in the main compartment, but I can't find any specs listing the size of the main compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I just saw this post and I almost always carry 2 or more machines in my Empire Builder and Super Ego.

I have a Toughbook CF-30 in no case and a 13" Macbook Pro in a Mac Truck together most of the time.

Together or alone these are not small machines at all but either bag carries them better than I do when loaded down!

The last month I have been on the road and have added an iPad to the mix inside a Waterfield Sleeve I already had and these 3 with several notebooks(paper) and other crap have been breaking my shoulder in the Super Ego every day.

You can get a lot more into the S.E. than you ever want to carry.

Also The zippers have held up well against a few South Florida downpours much to my surprise.

These are great,flexible bags.

Ed
    Ed - would you be willing to post a few pictures of your bag filled with laptops? I'm looking for a bag to carry two laptops, iPad, Bose headphones, a book then all the associated wires and junk. I'd probably have the laptops in sleeves to save space and if it was viable might occasionally slip my DSLR in (probably lens/body separate).

Chris.

I have also carried two laptops but in the Brain Bag. One in a the ancestor of the Vertical Brain Cell, one in the ancestor of the Cache.

No matter how well engineered a bag is carrying two laptop is heavy but balancing the weight between shoulders, back, abs and backside distributes the load better. This has the benefit of strengthening the body by building core muscles.

I would suggest the Western Flyer as an alternative.

It looks like a briefcase but it can be carried with the hidden backpack and waist straps very handy when commuting on public transportation or navigating an airport.
    In a formal business setting, the backpack straps can be hidden and the waist strap removed in a few seconds.

Video of two laptops in an Empire Builder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLFKY3OCRY

Customer Review of the Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqldxFMxUB0&NR=1

Customer Review of the Tri-Star (similar to the Western Flyer but with 3 compartments instead of 2)
    That video shows the versatile ways a Tri-Star or Western Flyer can be carried
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSqKudiExw

Hope this help! Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ukchris View Post
    Ed - would you be willing to post a few pictures of your bag filled with laptops? I'm looking for a bag to carry two laptops, iPad, Bose headphones, a book then all the associated wires and junk. I'd probably have the laptops in sleeves to save space and if it was viable might occasionally slip my DSLR in (probably lens/body separate).

Chris.
    Here are a few quick shots of the Super Ego with 2 machines,an Ipad and a Snake Charmer and there is still plenty of room inside.
    It is hard to see from the pics but there is room above everything for a good sized jacket to give an idea how huge this one is. Also note that the Toughbook is on its side which gives a lot of room next to it and there is still room above the whole thing after that.

Sorry for the picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

From another perspective,here is a Radio Carrier Sled I built for the Universal Radio Mounting System I a developing for Amateur Radio service.

Yes it is a simple box pre fitted with mounting rails and attachment hardware for quick change of radio gear in and out of various cases.
    It occured to me that the SE might be the perfect "Stealth" radio bag so I experimented some.

Here it shows a 2 space sled with 1 radio attached.
    I have also used this inside the SE in the field with a radio and a 18 AH Lead Acid Battery for an easy to carry all day field demo and no one could tell where my radio was at first!

It just shows again how big and flexible this bag can be.

Here is the same pile in the Empire Builder.
    It fits fine but is not as roomy as the Super Ego for sure.
    The E.B. also is a more structured bag which is both good and bad depending on your needs?

Also the Toughbook pictured here needs no case at all and it is rather HUGE for the 13" screen size but I never worry about bad things happening to it.....ever!

OK
    Last but not least, I have to fly sometimes and also sometimes have to check bags I do not want to really.

I discovered almost by accident that one of my Pelican 1460's will hold either the Empire Builder or the Super Ego like it was designed for them?

If you do need to check your briefcase this has got to be the method least likely to incur any damage.

Pelican cases are lightweight,waterproof and pressure equalizing. They will float and are almost indestructible,trust me I have tried.

This model even has wheels and a retracting handle and will hold a lot of stuff.

Just thought these would be fun pics too.

Ed

Oh
    I have also crammed the Pelican case into an overhead compartment despite the cowering of the traveler beneath me.

thanks for sharing this.... i'm in the middle of deciding on the Empire Builder or the Super Ego .. this really helps!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0