Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cafe bags: small vs medium

Does anyone have experience with both small and medium cafe bags?

I was going to get a small, but then realised the medium is basically the same height, but wider. Do they feel much different to carry?

I figure the small will carry enough for what I planned to use it for but the medium obviously has that little bit more space that might make it more versatile.

On a slight tangent, has anyone ever stuck a 13" macbook in the medium cafe bag? Width looks ok, but it seems it would stick out the top. It there adjustment in the warrior buckle strap that would allow the main flap it to still clip down? I know I should go for a large cafe or ristretto for this purpose, but it would add a bit of versatility to the cafe bag which is otherwise more compact.

jonathan
    Of course, I could get a small cafe plus ristretto, but then I couldn't afford a synapse.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi gonty!

i have both the small and medium cafe bags.

you won't be able to carry a macbook in the medium cafe bag. the webbing to which the warrior buckle is attached isn't adjustable on the cafe bags, so there isn't any give in the vertical direction.

to get an idea of what you can carry in each, have a look at the video of the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAqlhgrYMY"]medium[/URL and video of the small cafe bags.

if you're still unsure, i would recommend getting the medium so that you have a little more flexibility. you can always get the small cafe bag later - that's what i did .

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi gonty!

i have both the small and medium cafe bags.
    Wow, you really are a Tom Bihn guru. Thanks for the video links.

Jonathan

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gonty View Post
    Wow, you really are a Tom Bihn guru. Thanks for the video links.

Jonathan
    actually, tom bihn is the bag guru! we're just happy users of his wondrous bags.

How does the small cafe go with a water bottle in it? Could it handle that as well as a couple of books?

Or more specifically, a water bottle (I happen to use an 18oz klean kanteen at the moment) plus a large moleskine plus an average size novel, along with wallet, phone, pens etc

From the video it looks like that might end up a bit of a tight squeeze.

jonathan

How does the small cafe go with a water bottle in it? Could it handle that as well as a couple of books?

Or more specifically, a water bottle (I happen to use an 18oz klean kanteen at the moment) plus a large moleskine plus an average size novel, along with wallet, phone, pens etc

jonathan
    I have a Small Cafe Bag, all that would be more than a tight squeeze.

A Medium, I believe would handle all of the above, I don't know, my larger size Cafe Bags are the Large.

Volunteer Moderator

jonathan
    hi gonty,

this video demonstrates how you can carry the items you mention, plus a camera.

i have to admit i cheated a little - i didn't have a large moleskine notebook handy, so i used a dvd case instead - it's pretty close in size.

A custom video shot specifically to answer my question. And you used the exact drink bottle. Right colour and all.

You should definitely get a commission on my order!

Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi gonty,

i tried packing all of those items in a medium cafe bag, and there is lots of wiggle room left for other stuff. i was actually able to fit a nice thick textbook inside the medium cafe bag in addition to all of those items. i shot a video but realized a i goofed in my description, but i can get you a video of the medium cafe bag in the next day or so (i need to get ready for work now).

no need for thanks - your question got me to shoot a video after a long time. i've been busy with so many things - it felt good to shoot some video! so thank you!

I went to bed last night thinking I would order the medium, in fact I almost placed the order but when I stood up to find my wallet I decided to head to bed instead.

Then when I woke up this morning, I have changed my mind back to the small. I'm getting a Synapse which I will use when I want to carry more, I still have a small Crumpler messenger bag if I want to carry a bit more in a messenger style bag.

My original thought for the small cafe was to replace my crumpler sporty guy 1.9 which is a small padded bag. I use it when all I need is wallet, phone & keys, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to squeeze in a book and/or bottle. The small cafe bag seems like it will fit the bill perfectly.

Then down the track a bit I can consider whether a medium cafe, or a ristretto would be a worthwhile addition.

Now, to decide colours. I suspect it will be a navy synapse and black small cafe.

...except the black/steel small cafe is out of stock. Maybe I'll go medium after all.

Just one more question, then I'll shut up and buy a bag or two.

On the cafe bags, does the internal colour tend to be visible around the edge of the front flap?

ie, if I get the black/wasabi, is it just going to look black or will there always be these glimpses of wasabi? Not that I have anything against wasabi, I just can't really tell what it's like. I can't even tell if it's more green or more yellow, or how bright it is. But I figure it will really stand out against the black.

Hi, gonty.

I have a Large Cafe Bag, and, yes, the lining, being flush with the outer fabric, is visible. You can see it in the navy/cayenne Medium Cafe Bag picture. On the black/steel combination (which I have), it's not noticeable.

Wasabi is almost a bright chartreuse.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 05-01-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Asking questions is always good.

After looking at the Ristreto for Netbook, I see that it is much like a Small Cafe Bag with padded pocket in the main compartment and more room for other things and an extra pocket at the front of the zipper pocket.

It also has removable a strap, a better placed back strap and it is available in Black/Steel.

If you don't have a netbook or an ipad or a e-reader, you could use the padded pouch for papers, or a notebook, or a notepad and be able to fit your bottle in the main compartment in front of the padded area and secure your bottle with something that your place inside a Small Pouch.

I am using the Small Pouch as an example as you can see the scale of it in Maverick wonderful video of the Small Cafe Bag.

Keep us posted on what you decide or if you want more input.

Thanks for the suggestion Backpack.

I had actually considered the Ristretto for iPad. It's pretty close to the medium cafe bag dimensions. A little taller and narrower. I really like the outside front organiser pocket with the curved cutaway on both ristrettos - that alone is almost enough to make me bite the bullet.

The reasons I've ruled it out are that it costs twice as much as a cafe bag, black/steel is out of stock (as are all colours except plum - although I could probably manage to wait a month), and to a lesser degree it's thickness. One of the things I like about the cafe bags is they have a reasonably low profile (3") while the ristretto is 4.75" thick.

But since you've mentioned, I'm starting to wonder again. I really do like the front organizer pocket.

Jonathan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0