17in laptop in a Western Flyer?

I use a biggish Sony Vaio FW laptop - about the size of a 17in Macbook Pro. The TB website recommends that I need a Tristar or bigger, but the dimensions of the Western Flyer suggests the laptop should fit neatly inside in a slipcase/cache (not a brain cell). Anyone out there carrying a 17in laptop in their WF?

On an unrelated note, could anyone let me know how wide the opening is on the open slip pocket at the front of the Flyer is?

Volunteer Moderator
    hi pycraft!

according to the tom bihn fit list for the sony vaio fw, you'll need a size 2M horizontal cache.

the size 2M horizontal cache can be carried in the tri-star and superego, as indicated on the product page for the cache.

i previously misposted indicating that you could use the size 1 horizontal cache - the size 1 horizontal cache would hold the 17" macbook pro.

kudos to the folks at tom bihn for detailing this detailed laptop fitting information!
    Last edited by maverick; 04-28-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: got the cache size wrong
    -m

hi Maverick,

Thanks for this! I've seen the recommendation for the Tri-Star and the 2M horizontal cache; however, the cache is a shade bigger than 15.5" x11.4" x1.6", but the bag is a more substantial 18" x 12" x 7" (and the laptop is 15.5"x10.5"x1.6"). If it won't fit then so be it; I guess I'm hoping it'll squeeze!

Volunteer Moderator
    hi pycraft!

the dimensions you mention: 15.5" x 11.4" x 1.6" are the interior dimensions of the size 2M horizontal cache, and are meant to help you in determining whether your laptop computer (if not listed in the fit guide) will fit inside a given size cache.

i'm going to venture to guess that since the cache is made from 1/4" thick closed cell foam, that the 15.5" interior dimension may translate into slightly more than 16" on the exterior, and that the 11.4" translates into 11.9" on the exterior.

given that the overall dimensions of the western flyer are 18" x 12" x 7", that's going to be a bit of a tight fit in the dimension that measures 12".

so while the tri-star has dimensions of 19" x 13" x 8", it should nicely accommodate the size 2M horizontal cache.

let me know whether that makes sense.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pycraft View Post
    hi Maverick,

Thanks for this! I've seen the recommendation for the Tri-Star and the 2M horizontal cache; however, the cache is a shade bigger than 15.5" x11.4" x1.6", but the bag is a more substantial 18" x 12" x 7" (and the laptop is 15.5"x10.5"x1.6"). If it won't fit then so be it; I guess I'm hoping it'll squeeze!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    let me know whether that makes sense.
    Definitely - am happy with that.

Thanks for all your help,

Mike

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0