Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody vertically in Tri-Star?

Howdy ...

I haven't been able to find an answer to this question in searching the forums and greater internet, so I'm going to ask here.

I'm looking for a medium-sized shoulder bag / backpack for one-bag travel, mostly 2-3 day weekend air and some car trips. The Tri-star seems to fit my criteria - well built, well laid out, works well enough as a backpack, made in the US, and it fits the Eagle Creek 18" folder (which I already use and love - I wear lots of dress shirts).

I'd like to carry my 13" Macbook Pro unibody in the bag and eliminate a separate laptop bag. The Macbook obviously fits horizontally in a Brain Cell in the center compartment. However, it's not a very efficient use of the center compartment with the laptop in the middle of the bag and lots of empty space around the sides. So!

My Question: Will the Macbook fit vertically in the Tri-star in a vertical cache 6Z? It seems like the bag is maybe tall enough (13" tall) to accommodate the 12.7" wide Macbook and the padding of the cache. Looks like it'd fit in larger part of the front compartment with the divider up. However, it's going to be a tight fit, and there won't be as much protection for the laptop as if it were in a Brain Cell. But if it does fit, it frees up a lot of room in the bag. The Macbook already rides in a vertical cache in a Synapse, so I'm OK with that level of protection.

Any thoughts about this setup?

Thanks.
    Last edited by pdxrefugee; 04-26-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Hey there,

I just pulled those out and checked myself.
    The vertical cache in size 6z does fit inside the tri star vertically.

I would say it fits pretty good too. Not too tight and not too loose.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0