Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imago vs ID need please

Good morning, A few weeks ago I ordered a WF & Imago. Both were due to ship in early March. Due to production timeline changes the Imago will not ship until mid April. The WF is delayed until late March.

I've always been concerned that the Imago might not be big enough. I have a med Cafe that is stuffed to the gills every day. I'm looking for a bag that will carry all that, a pair of shoes and have some space left over for odds and ends picked up during the day, mail and so forth.

Here are the options as I see them. I can wait for the Imago with the chance that it won't be big enough or, I can cancel that order and order an ID. I'd like to end up with the smallest bag possible that will get the job done.

The ID always looked a bit bigger than I'd like but I REALLY like that it zips closed. I'd really appreicate any and all thoughts about Imago vs ID?

I will be waiting for the WF. I know it'll be worth it.

Thanks everyone,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 03-07-2010 at 05:02 AM.

I'd have no problem myself with the Imago carrying a medium cafe bag's worth of stuff plus a pair of shoes. But I'm female and wear a size 6. I'm guessing, based on your nickname, that you may have slightly bigger shoes...

I hate to say it, given my love affair with the Imago, but you might need the ID.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I'd have no problem myself with the Imago carrying a medium cafe bag's worth of stuff plus a pair of shoes. But I'm female and wear a size 6. I'm guessing, based on your nickname, that you may have slightly bigger shoes...

I hate to say it, given my love affair with the Imago, but you might need the ID.
    Thanks Flitcraft. Female here too. Moose isn't a very "girly" name is it? My shoes run a bit larger than yours but not by much. I'm going to have to read some more and look at lots of pictures. It is nice to know that if the Imago arrives before I can make up my mind it at least has a good chance of being "the one." Thanks for the feedback, its greatly appreciated.
    Moose

mid-April for the Imago?!?!? Thanks for the heads up, although it means longer for me to wait. sigh! Maybe I'll have it in time for my summer trip...

Quote Originally Posted by drpher View Post
    mid-April for the Imago?!?!? Thanks for the heads up, although it means longer for me to wait. sigh! Maybe I'll have it in time for my summer trip...
    drpher,
    Sorry to be the bearer of troubling news. I went back to make sure I had it right and, unfortunately, I did. There are three colors available now though. Maybe one of those would work for you. The good news is that no matter what you decide to do the bag will be great.
    Moose

Volunteer Moderator
    hi moose!

the imago is about the size of a large cafe bag. whereas the large cafe bag has a vertical orientation, the imago is horizontal.

the id is a little bigger than the imago, but it is by no means huge.

i'm not sure how much odds and ends you'll have, but what you're carrying will by no means get lost in the id.

when you say shoes, what type of shoes are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Good morning, A few weeks ago I ordered a WF & Imago. Both were due to ship in early March. Due to production timeline changes the Imago will not ship until mid April. The WF is delayed until late March.

I've always been concerned that the Imago might not be big enough. I have a med Cafe that is stuffed to the gills every day. I'm looking for a bag that will carry all that, a pair of shoes and have some space left over for odds and ends picked up during the day, mail and so forth.

Here are the options as I see them. I can wait for the Imago with the chance that it won't be big enough or, I can cancel that order and order an ID. I'd like to end up with the smallest bag possible that will get the job done.

The ID always looked a bit bigger than I'd like but I REALLY like that it zips closed. I'd really appreicate any and all thoughts about Imago vs ID?

I will be waiting for the WF. I know it'll be worth it.

Thanks everyone,
    Moose

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi moose!

the imago is about the size of a large cafe bag. whereas the large cafe bag has a vertical orientation, the imago is horizontal.

the id is a little bigger than the imago, but it is by no means huge.

i'm not sure how much odds and ends you'll have, but what you're carrying will by no means get lost in the id.

when you say shoes, what type of shoes are we talking about?
    Hi Maverick,
    I live in the backwoods of Maine. Boots are necessary more often than not. We get a bit of snow here. I work in a setting that makes boots out of place. I usually take a pair of loafers or other similar kinds of shoes with me to wear during the day.

I really like the look of the ID and I love that it zips. I've been concerned that it will be a bit "stiff" because of the foam insert. That coupled with my concern over the size made me go for the Imago. As I mentioned, I want the smallest bag possible that will get the job done. I'd like to be able to use the Imago/Id and a WF as my only travel bags. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

Moose
    I had the same issue - and ended up getting the Imago first, and then the ID. (I started with a large Cafe bag, but upgraded from that originally because I got a laptop.)

What I found with the Imago:
    - I love the way it hangs a lot: there's something about the curve of the cut that feels very comfortable and natural.

- My laptop fit, but not a lot else - I'm a librarian, and I could only fit one or two paperbacks rather than more (and not much else.) which made it not good for travel for me.

What I like about the ID:
    - The pockets are better set up for what I use if I'm using it as a laptop bag.

- I especially like the lined outer pockets for cell-phone/iTouch/etc. It's easy to find them again.

- The water bottle holder is also a big win for me.

- Inside, I've got space for my laptop, but also a couple of hardcover books, a shawl, etc. without feeling cramped for space. (I usually carry it with the laptop + misc. tech stuff and a book, and the extra space isn't an issue, but there are times I want to load up - for travel, for a day out, etc.)

For colors:
    Imago is the three shades of blue one. Id is indigo and black, which I adore, and which is pretty much my dream color combo. Both look gorgeous.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Maverick,
    I live in the backwoods of Maine. Boots are necessary more often than not. We get a bit of snow here. I work in a setting that makes boots out of place. I usually take a pair of loafers or other similar kinds of shoes with me to wear during the day.

I really like the look of the ID and I love that it zips. I've been concerned that it will be a bit "stiff" because of the foam insert. That coupled with my concern over the size made me go for the Imago. As I mentioned, I want the smallest bag possible that will get the job done. I'd like to be able to use the Imago/Id and a WF as my only travel bags. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
    Take it easy,
    Moose
    Moose, you might take a read through the Decision Time! thread and some of the other later posts by dbradford on the ID bag. Many of the same issues of ID vs Imago were thrashed out there. My guess, based on what you've already posted, is that you may need the ID bag if your Medium Cafe is "stuffed to the gills", and you also want to carry shoes and some other items. As mentioned earlier, the Imago is about the size of the Large Cafe bag. I have both the Imago and the older style ID bag, and my experience is similar to Flitcraft's (size 6 shoes, and living in a warm climate I could carry shoes in my Imago). I do like the smaller size of the Imago.

On the other hand, if you're traveling with the combination of Imago + Western Flyer vs. ID Bag + Western Flyer, the ID Bag may give you some advantages. The outside water bottle holder is convenient for either a water bottle or for handy access to a portable umbrella. (I find that on the Western Flyer, using the outer pocket for a water bottle only works well if the bag is not too full, unlike the design for my Tri-Star.) My preference for using the Tri-Star or the Aeronaut over my Western Flyer is due to the fact that I sometimes need more flexible packing arrangements for odd-sized objects. The Western Flyer is fine, if I'm carrying clothes. However, I remember that during one of my early trips with the Aeronaut I was given a present of a tea set, among other items, and managed to pack and carry everything back. What I like about the Tri-Star is the configurability of the center pocket, as well as the ability to insert a laptop (should I need to carry one), so I find that I prefer to carry a Tri-Star (even underpacked) to my Western Flyer. Your ID Bag will give you some of the extra-volume/depth capacity when you travel, to supplement your Western Flyer. Again, this is not an issue if you're only going to be carrying clothes or items that easily pack flat, so if you're just doing regular minimalist travel, you'll like having the smaller form factor of the Western Flyer.

My currently favored every day bag is my Synapse. (But I have two Imagos that I also like).

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    I've come to the conclusion that the Imago is simply better when it's packed lightly. When you bulk it up, it seems as if it loses its aesthetic appeal

Hi Moriond!

Ok, (cracks knuckles) I have the Large Cafe, and I DID (note sarcasm) have the ID, Moose. You're worried about the stiffness of the bag? Well, it does have some stiffness because of the padding (unremovable). So I found the ID to keep it's shape more linearly (is that a word?), to remain more rigid, and to not wrap around your hip like a unpadded, softer bag might. If you plan on getting a Horizontal Freudian Slip also, you're not going to have a whole lot of room left over..Shoes, I don't know, iffy. I don't think so, but then I've wedged a size 40 leather flight jacket in mine , so maybe you could wedge them in, depending on what else you carry. I think it's a good size for what you want to do with it, it's certainly small enough, but great for organization.

You might want to take a look at the Ego, but that sounds too big for your needs...I'll suggest some competition, look at the Walking bags, Minis, and the Courier Bags of Courierware in Vermont: http://courierbags.com/ Their bags draw a lot of following and praise.

I use my Large Cafe all the time, everyday here, but I need something a little bigger for travel, shopping, laundry, etc. Best of luck, and keep us informed!

Dave in the Philippines
    Last edited by dbradford; 03-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Jenett, Moriond, Just, Dbradford,
    Wow, thank you all so much. I was away for a couple of days and when I returned I found all your responses to my question. I've read them all several times. I've also read through all the links you provided. I think I've come to a decision, finally.

I'm going to cancel the Imago order and replace it with the ID. At the same time I'm going to order a Synapse. I MUST see that purple in person! First thing tomorrow morning (first thing in Washington that is) I'm calling to get my order changed. Maybe if I get really lucky I can have them to play with next weekend.

Thanks again for all the guidance!
    Moose

Hi All,
    Well I did it. I cancelled the Imago and a plum Synapse is coming it its place. Or it will be coming when they have some. Katy said they might have some next week if I'm lucky. I really liked the ID but at the end of the day I just didn't think the foam insert in the back was for me.

Now my only hope is the Synapse sits up on its own without falling over. Anybody have any thougths on that?

Thanks again for all the comments. I really appreciate them.
    Moose

Hi, Moose.

Left to itself, mine wants to roll over, belly side down, because the volume extends out over the floor platform. I put it down carefully or lean it against a wall, backstraps facing out.

You'll love it anyway. Just be careful if you're carrying a computer.

Hi All,
    Well, I ordered a plum Synapse on March 23rd. Katy said they should be ready to ship in a week or so. An hour and a half later I had a shipping notice from UPS. It finally finished its 3,000 mile journey safely and arrived today. It is a thing of beauty. The color is amazing.I opened the box and must say it was originally smaller than I expected. Then I started putting stuff in it, and putting stuff in it, and putting stuff in it... You get the picture. It holds everything and a pair of shoes. I have to admit to a "duh" moment. I was looking for a place for my checkbook and daytimer. I thought I remembered side pockets in the photos but couldn't find them. The zippers are such a perfect part of the design the pocekts disappeared. I did find them, finally, and felt pretty dull for having missed them in the first place. I'm chalking it up to a long day.
    Thanks again for all the comments that helped me decide.
    Moose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0