Western Flyer, how much will it hold?

I recently ordered a Western Flyer. It won't arrive until March but I know it will be worth the wait. For those of you that already own one, what is the longest trip you've been able to take with just the Western Flyer & a "personal" item? I am especially interested in trips without a washing machine. Some hand washing would be ok. If the answer is already somewhere in the forum please just point me in the right direction.
    Thanks everyone,
    Moose

Volunteer Moderator
    hi moose!

i've used the western flyer recently to carry a change of business casual clothing - under shirt, underwear, dress shirt, slacks, and socks on one side, and a 13" macbook, freudian slip with various files, adapters and accessories as well as toiletries in a 3d clear organizer cube on the other side.

i also used the western flyer for our vacation to walt disney world, and it held:
    • 4 changes of clothes for me.
    • 3 sets of workout clothes for me.
    • snacks for the trip.
    • a book on disney world.
    • travel documents.

so you can see that the western flyer is quite versatile and will let you allocate space between the two main compartments in the way that makes sense for a particular trip.

Volunteer Moderator
    Would you believe that I took a 6-week long trip in Asia with just a Western Flyer and a personal item (Checkpoint Flyer)! I must admit I encountered washing machines in Weeks 3 and 5 though.

Hi Maverick,
    Wow that's quite a list. I traveled a lot growing up. I learned at a very young age to pack lite. I thought the Western Flyer looked about right but you confirmed that for me. Most of my trips are a week or less. I can easily fit everything in a small rolly bag that fits nicely under any airplane seat.
    I'm off to check that delivery date one more time.
    Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Would you believe that I took a 6-week long trip in Asia with just a Western Flyer and a personal item (Checkpoint Flyer)! I must admit I encountered washing machines in Weeks 3 and 5 though.
    Hi Just,
    I am truly impressed. I'd hoped for a couple of weeks in a Western Flyer at most. Five to six goes way beyond what I ever imagined possible. What I wouldn't give to be able to take a 6 week long trip to anywhere. I have not yet broken the 9 to 5 habit. On my next get away my personal item will be my new medium Cafe bag. I've had it a few weeks. I still find it most curious how much I can cram in it and it never gets heavier. I've even considered getting a large Cafe bag. I ordered an Absolute Strap to go with my Western Flyer too. I think I've been bitten by the Bihn bag bug.
    Take it easy,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 02-04-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Hi Moose,
    Congrats on your new purchase!!

I've posted a few times on the Western Flyer (search for 'notmensa' to find them). My longest trip was 12 days with the Western Flyer and Synapse, with the Synapse carrying all my gear for school (computer, research papers, etc). The first post is here
    I rinsed out the shirts and underwear daily, but also had the luxury of being at my parents' home where I could add to their washing loads as well!

Another user is 'flitcraft' who did a 2 week trip to NZ with the orignial Western Flyer. here.
    This post was one of the big reasons I bought the Western Flyer!

If you read other 'one bag' or 'carry on only' sites, you'll see that many people have a standard packing list for travel, be it for 4 days or 40 days. The main difference is that you need a strategy for replacing consumables such as personal care products.

Em

While we are on this, please help me with a purchase decision. I am 6ft and need a professional looking bag to carry my computer and some stuff to my corporate workplace daily. Occasionally, I may want to add a couple of days (max) worth of clothes along with the computer to take on weekend trips. I was thinking in between a Super Ego and the Western Flyer, but am open to other suggestions.
    Check out my Size Fit Tool for TB's Laptop Bags (H/V Brain Cell and Cache), extensible to other bags in general

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    While we are on this, please help me with a purchase decision. I am 6ft and need a professional looking bag to carry my computer and some stuff to my corporate workplace daily. Occasionally, I may want to add a couple of days (max) worth of clothes along with the computer to take on weekend trips. I was thinking in between a Super Ego and the Western Flyer, but am open to other suggestions.
    hi bagman!

you could definitely do this with the western flyer, using one side for your laptop computer and the other side for two changes of clothes.

the checkpoint flyer is another great option. you have a dedicated compartment for your laptop, and the main compartment will very nicely hold a change or two of clothes for you.

both look very professional and very stylish.

Hi Bagman!

Two things to consider:
    - the Checkpoint Flyer is a much more structured bag - it's designed as a briefcase. The Western Flyer has 2 large compartments so is much less structured. It's more versatile in this respect, though really needs packing cubes to work well.
    - the Western Flyer can convert into a backpack, and so morphes easily into a travel bag. I use the backpack mode when it's really loaded up and I'm rushing to or through airports.

Cheers,
    Em
    Last edited by notmensa; 02-05-2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: confusing word choices

So would you recommend a Western Flyer over a Super Ego?
    Check out my Size Fit Tool for TB's Laptop Bags (H/V Brain Cell and Cache), extensible to other bags in general

Oops

Sorry, Bagman - I had the Checkpoint Flyer rather than the Super Ego on my mind! The same considerations apply though. I love my Western Flyer, and the fact that it converts into a backpack was the key design feature for me when travelling. I'm currently using the Western Flyer as a briefcase at work. I keep (medical) files and papers in the back section, and have my various clinical tools in packing cubes in the front section. I convert it into backpack mode when travelling as I find it easier to negotiate airports and aircraft aisles with both hands free!

Em

Hi Notmensa,
    Your photos are wonderful. I think I read every Western Flyer review I could find before I placed my order. I was pretty sure it was what I was looking for but all packing lists have been VERY useful. I've never had a "standard" packing list. I'm going to give that a go. Nine times out of ten my travel is for pleasure rather than business. I've been considering getting an Imago as a personal item. Thank you for all the great photos. I find interior shots with items very useful. Please keep-em-coming.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 02-06-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0