Ken

Ultrasuede Pocket Question

I currently have an Imago with the Ultrasuede pockets. I am possibly considering a new ID bag, and was wondering if the Ultrasuede pockets on the ID are any larger than those on the Imago. I like these pockets a lot, but the ones on my Imago are just a bit too small for some of the things that I would like to store in them. Has anybody compared the size of these pockets on these two bags?

--Ken

Volunteer Moderator
    hi ken,

i have both. i will check the size when i get home this evening.

what would you like to carry in the ultrasuede pocket? i can try and see how it fits in the ultrasuede pockets of the id.

thanks!

Ken
    thanks for offering to check on the pocket sizes. I was hoping to fit my iPod Touch (w/hard shell) in the pocket. I know that fitting my Sandisk Sansa view was a tight squeeze in my Imago, and I believe that the IPod Touch is wider than it.

--Ken

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    thanks for offering to check on the pocket sizes. I was hoping to fit my iPod Touch (w/hard shell) in the pocket. I know that fitting my Sandisk Sansa view was a tight squeeze in my Imago, and I believe that the IPod Touch is wider than it.

--Ken
    hi ken,

do you have some specs on the size of the hard shell?

is the ipod touch + hard shell larger than an iphone?

thanks!

Ken
    The shell is an acrylic "skin" that is just slightly bigger than the iPod Touch itself. It is probably the same size as, or possibly smaller than, many of the rubber "skins" that people place on their units. And, I think that the Touch is the same size as the Phone.

--Ken

I have the ID, and the aforementioned rubberized skin... it will fit snugly in the pocket, but the skin has a textured surface to keep the iPhone from slipping that makes getting it in and out of the ultrasueda pocket a pain unless I go naked.

Given that you have the acrylic shell, I would guess that you would not have the same problem. When I have the iPhone in the pocket there is a bit of wiggle room, and I also believe that the Touch is a slightly thinner profile than the iPhone. We'll see what Maverick comes back in terms of dimensions, but my unofficial guess says you would be OK.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    ...but the skin has a textured surface to keep the iPhone from slipping that makes getting it in and out of the ultrasueda pocket a pain unless I go naked.
    I am not sure that I am willing to go naked for a Tom Bihn Bag! Unless, of course, Tom paid me enough for the product endorsement ("Nothing comes between my and my Id!"). But I do appreciate your checking on this, Bob.

Thanks,

--Ken

I feel that the rubberized iPhone/iPod cases offer more protection, but I ran into the same problem that MagicTiki mentioned -- it causes too much friction. I usually keep my iPhone in my front jeans pocket, and with a rubberized case, it was a bit of a struggle to get it in and out of the pocket. (And no, I don't wear my jeans tight. Yuck!)

Switching to a smooth plastic case has completely solved this problem, and it provides more iPhone protection than I originally thought it would. It has survived about a dozen drops on hard floors without any damage whatsoever.

If you plan to store an iPhone or iPod in an ultrasuede Tom Bihn pocket, I highly recommend getting a smooth plastic or acrylic case. I've got the basic model from InCase, which even comes with an ingenious little S-shaped stand that will solidly prop up the iPhone either horizontally or vertically using nothing but gravity and leverage. (No tabs, snaps, or anything like that.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0