Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Glad to help!
    Any of these would be a great stocking stuffer.
    Don't forget the
    Sleeves for Amazon Kindle 2. These are basically medium size pouch options in Cork, Padded, and Leaf Green and Cayenne Ultrasuede. The ultrasuede combinations look great with the ultrasuede pockets of the ID bag.

Ok, my next question is for the Men of Bihn Bags: is the Wasabi interior too fem? I personally love the Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID combo, but should I go for the safe Blk/Blk/Steel instead? He's your typical All-American athletic, boy next-door-kind of guy.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

I have the Black/Steel/Wasabi ID and would have no other. The Wasabi adds some color and makes things easy to find in the bowels of the bag. Gotten lots of compliments on the Wasabi color from men and women. That said, if he is going to be in a conservative environment, the steel interior may be more comfortable for him. (Of course my brain cell is Cayenne (!) - so what do I know about color???)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Ok, my next question is for the Men of Bihn Bags: is the Wasabi interior too fem? I personally love the Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID combo, but should I go for the safe Blk/Blk/Steel instead? He's your typical All-American athletic, boy next-door-kind of guy.
    hi bag lady,

wasabi is one of my favorite colors, and i don't think that it is at all too feminine.

but i may be the wrong person to ask - i see nothing wrong with a man cooking, and actually enjoy cooking myself. i see nothing wrong with a man sewing, and i want to learn to sew but just don't have the time. i see nothing wrong with a man cleaning the house, though this is one thing i am more than happy to have someone else (anyone else) do - it has nothing to do with being a man or woman.

these are all things that those from earlier generations would have considered to be in the woman's domain.

the only color that i have seen from tom bihn that i would call feminine is pink.

but if a man wants to carry a pink organizer pouch, i don't see anything wrong with this either. i've had a couple of pink shirts over the years myself.

I'd suggest the wasabi for the inside. Steel tends to lose things like black does - I had a choice between the steel and the olive for my Cafe Bag's interior (alas, no sapphire/wasabi to be had) and I chose the olive for the contrast.

In dark environments the wasabi will make it much easier to find that lost pen or pouch. When open it will garner comments of where-did-you-get-that-BAG? And, if someone dares to snitch it I doubt they'll get far, since everyone your husband works with will know who the real owner is!
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

My Large Cafe Bag is Cocoa/Wasabi and I like it fine. It's currently my Every Day Carry. My Medium Cafe Bag is Navy/Cayenne, I really like that combo too. The high contrast interior is a great feature in both bags. Cayenne is my favorite interior color.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

I agree with the panel. Go for high-contrast interior color, so he does not lose his stuff. I have the black/steel/cayenne ID combo, and it's probably my favorite... but the wasabi interior is really sharp, too!

To add to the outside color discussion, I don't see any particular Bihn color combo as more masculine or more feminine, but I think some color combos are more professional looking than others for work situations. My Brain Bag and ID are both black/steel exteriors, and both look great in professional environments... but I also like those color combos on those bags, and I use them both for all kinds of casual outings as well.

IMHO, All of the ID combos look good at the office. You can't go wrong there.

Hope this helps!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

If I was still in the workforce and a professional look was my primary goal, a TB bag in first navy or second (may be) black would be my color choice. Navy blue is considered the POWER COLOR in business today. Checkout the book Dress for Success for more tips.

Follow this link to learn more: http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-N...0466401&sr=1-1
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 12-10-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    If I was still in the workforce and a professional look was my primary goal, a TB bag in first navy or second (may be) black would be my color choice. Navy blue is considered the POWER COLOR in business today. Checkout the book Dress for Success for more tips.

Follow this link to learn more: http://www.amazon.com/John-Molloys-N...0466401&sr=1-1

Hi PM4HIRE! Thanks for your advice. Since TB doesn't have navy as a color choice, are you suggesting I go with a Blk ID for my husband? I'm thinking the Indigo is too different from navy to be a subsitute.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    I agree with the panel. Go for high-contrast interior color, so he does not lose his stuff. I have the black/steel/cayenne ID combo, and it's probably my favorite... but the wasabi interior is really sharp, too!

To add to the outside color discussion, I don't see any particular Bihn color combo as more masculine or more feminine, but I think some color combos are more professional looking than others for work situations. My Brain Bag and ID are both black/steel exteriors, and both look great in professional environments... but I also like those color combos on those bags, and I use them both for all kinds of casual outings as well.

IMHO, All of the ID combos look good at the office. You can't go wrong there.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you MagicTiki! I appreciate your input. I'm glad the Blk/Steel/Cayenne is working out well for you! I forget that Cayenne is also another contrast color that helps you find stuff easily, esp. the electronics. This color combo might work for my husband. I have to decide quickly though, if I am to receive it in time for Christmas. Pressure!!!

I consider Wasabi to be a feminine color on the outside of a bag, but I am completely comfortable with it as an interior color. As others have mentioned here, I actually prefer it over the traditionally dark interiors.

In bags that offer it, I prefer Solar over Wasabi, but both are excellent interior colors -- for men and women.

Hi Bag Lady, what did you decide on? Just curious.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

And he chose...

The Empire Builder! Sorry about the long delay in posting, haven't been on the Forum in months! Life has been a little busy.
    Anyway, based on all of your recommendations, I ordered three bags for my DH to preview:

1) ID in Blk/Steel/Wasabi
    2) Empire Builder in Blk/Blk/Steel
    3) Zephyr in Blk/Blk/Steel

It was love at first sight for the Empire Builder! He loved the briefcase-like structure of the bag because when he wears suits to a business meeting as he is doing more and more, he doesn't like a strap ruining the shoulders of the suit jacket. But with the Absolute Strap, he can still carry it like a messenger around town. Best of both worlds.

While he loved the bag, he wasn't happy with the color combo. He actually loved the Wasabi interior, noting how it was so easy to find everything with the lighter color... So much for me worrying that Wasabi was "too feminine!" I quickly ordered the right color combo (it was in stock, hooray!), attached the Absolute, and he was all set!

He's not using any of the Pouches, since the EB has enough zippered pockets and compartments to keep him organized. He appreciates the high sides of the inside compartment which keep everything securely inside even when the zipper is fully open.

I am examining his EB and see that he is using the vertical flap zip pocket for receipts, and the horizontal flap zip pocket for business cards and breath mints! His writing tools go in their designated slots under the flap, and his wallet is kept in the deep open pocket. Nothing is in the horizontal zippered pocket under the flap. In the main compartment, he keeps all his paperwork, files, a book, a bank deposit pouch, and his 15-inch Dell when needed. I did carefully remove the clips for the optional Brain Cell because he does not
    have one, and I didn't want the clips to: a) scratch anything in the main compartment; or b) get damaged from non-use. I am saving the clips for possible future use.

On a side note, I happily got to keep the ID because it actually holds my larger than life 17-inch Dell! Since I don't do more than walk to the office from the parking lot, I'm not too concerned about not having a Brain Cell to protect it. The back of the ID seems very cushy and the Dell is in a protective sleeve anyway. Again, I carefully removed the Brain Cell clips from the ID. My fears that the ID would overwhelm my small frame (5ft-0) were unfounded, and the Absolute Strap is heaven, making the Dell feel feather-light.

My much beloved Imago will be used as my plus one bag on flights. It's small enough to double as a purse, but oh-so-capacious! On a recent trip, I used my MCB and while it held all of my on-flight accoutrement at the beginning of the trip, the Imago would have been that much better on the flight back, since I had acquired a trinket or two! Lesson learned: don't pack a bag to its capacity at the beginning of the trip... if it all fits just right, re-pack into a larger bag! However, the MCB served beautifully during our daytrips, so I
    guess I'll be taking both in the future!

Thanks to all who gave their suggestions, and for patiently awaiting the outcome! My husband is officially a Tom Bihn convert!

Thanks for the update, the pouches will be put to use in time I suspect. A supply on hand has proven to be quite efficacious in my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0