Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Organizer Pouches

I'm slowly moving toward purchasing a backpack, possibly either a Ruk's Sack or a Smart Alec. One thing I regularly haul around in my old cheap backpack is a pair of walkie-talkies. They always come in handy. Here's a picture:

Each unit measures about 2-3/8 inches wide, about 6-5/8 inches tall, and because of the belt clip on the back, each unit measures about 2-1/4 inches thick. I have never found an adequate way to carry these units in my old backpack. They drop to the bottom of one of the main compartments, slosh around in there, bump into each other and get switched "on" occasionally, thereby draining the batteries.

If I get a Bihn backpack, I was thinking about enclosing the talkies in an Organizer Pouch, either Cordura or Padded. If I go this route, which size will fit them properly? If the pouch is too small, they obviously won't fit. If the pouch is too large, they'll slosh around and the pouch will be of no use. I was wondering if a Medium-sized pouch would work.

Comments?

Could you post a picture of them close to a CD case and a paperback book?

Those are the items that are used in the Clear Pouches pictures to help people figure out the size they need to order.

I believe the Medium Pouch or the Kit would be ideal. You could house a spare battery charger to keep them for moving around but, it usually doesn't happen with Pouches the zipper keeps everything secure and the Cordura and Padded Pouch fabrics are too strong to bend that much.

Hmmm...

Here's an image with the talkies, a 12-inch ruler, a pen, a pencil, a highlighter, and a re-issue of Living Colour's 1988 album "Vivid" on CD. All sitting on top of a 15.4-inch (pre-Unibody) MacBook Pro.

How's that for scale?

Are the antennae detachable?
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

You are funny Mtman!

I still think that the Kit is the way to go.

Because your problem is the antenna, you can't remove it and the walkie talkies are chunky, compared to a CD and even the highlighters.

So my thoughts are the Medium Clear or the Medium padded if you don't want the Kit.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-01-2009 at 02:55 PM.

"Kit"? I'm not sure I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Are the antennae detachable?
    No. It is a fixed unit.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    "Kit"? I'm not sure I understand.
    Tom Bihn product: Kit

I have one on order myself.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Both the Kit and the medium padded pouch sound like a solution for this. I have a few padded pouches and think they would work fine but, backpack has both so I would go with his advice.
    Last edited by ex machina; 12-01-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: grammar edit

Mini-bags like the Kit (thanks for the link, ex machina!) and the 3D Organizer Cube are a neat idea. No doubt about that. But I'm thinking that if I get a TB backpack I'd probably want to put the talkies into something I could easily hook onto one of the backpack's "O" rings, so the talkies will be easy to quickly retrieve while in the move. I would probably attach the talkies' container to a TB key strap, and then hook the other end of the strap to an "O" ring. (Instead of letting the talkies sink to the bottom of the pack and be difficult to fish out when loaded.) I have not ruled out an idea I saw Maverick using in his Ruk's Sack video, that being the use of a two-compartment Waterfield pouch; I'm just not sure how that would attach to a key strap. Nothing has been decided yet, but I'm leaning more toward organizer pouches for this.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
    Last edited by MtnMan; 12-01-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo correction

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Both the Kit and the medium padded pouch sound like a solution for this. I have a few padded pouches and think they would work fine but, backpack has both so I would go with his advice.
    Mtnman don't go for anything yet!

Place the walkie talkies on top of the CD and measure how much sticks out.

I think that you should give the volume measurements (width, height, and length, including antenna) to a TB crew member and ask them if that would fit.

I apologize for not being able to visualize the measurements and pictures to a real life 3D rock solid advice.

I know that the Kit can fit a really big stack of Mini Organizer Pouches and it would be ok for the body of the talkie walkies but the darn antenna is in the way and after re-considering, I don't think it would fit.

I believe the Medium Pouch would be fine, depending on the length of the antenna that sticks out of the CD case measurements.

I understand your "need to know" before you buy, I did that with all the TB bags and accessories, I bought.

ex machina (I am a "she"), I use my gender to justify my TB Bags and yarn collection.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-01-2009 at 03:38 PM.

I would recommend the Kit. If you put them in in "69" orientation they will hopefully fit.

The Kit would then neatly fit into the bottom pocket of the Synapse. No key-strap required.

Audrey

While I appreciate the Synapse recommendation (I have not eliminated it yet), I am leaning toward the Ruk's Sack. The Ruk is only $70, and I like its design. If I were to choose a more expensive bag, I would likely by-pass the Synapse and spend an extra $10-20 for a Smart Alec or Brain Bag. The top two candidates are, (1: Ruk's Sack, followed by (2: Smart Alec, and the Ruk is way out in front right now.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    ex machina (I am a "she"), I use my gender to justify my TB Bags and yarn collection.
    Good gravy, I am on a roll with gender mix-ups these days. I was mistaken as well with Jiri (he's a guy) not too long ago. Sorry.

It would be nice if English had a gender neutral pronoun that only meant a person (so not 'it'.) Well, until then I guess I should resign myself to my foot landing in my mouth semi-regularly.

I know I could go with 'they' but that is plural, not singular, and bristles my grammar bone. The correct usage is 'he or she' but that seems cumbersome.

Talking

It's "Pat"! No, "Chris"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0