Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How do you use your Large Organizer Pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    I use the large clear pouch in my Imago. I find that if I put it in upside/down, that is with the zipper toward the floor, things are neater on top. In fact, I did that today, and had a folder and a notebook in one pouch to keep my bag tidy for study group.

I am now, when feasible, using solely my Imago and Large cafe Bag for school. I have too much stuff to schlep on Mondays to be contained in the Imago (hence the Zephyr is on my radar), but for the other days, I try to make it so that I can just swap out large clear pouches and the text(s) (as needed) for that class.

I am also using a medium clear pouch as my school supply case, and I keep my pencil case (with pencils) in the medium case too. A little trick I developed is to tape up my pencil sharpener, so the shavings can't escape. They had really dirtied my pencil case, but things are much better now.

I had to expand to using the medium pouch because I also keep a stapler, small tape roll, various pens and highlighters, etc. The pencil case was fine until I added the stapler to my tools. Also, I had the previous problem of the leaky pencil sharpener so until I diagnosed what was doing this I segregated all pencil materials to the pencil case and everything else to the medium pouch (which contained the pencil case.)

OH! A major point in using any of the clear pouches: the urethane side must face fabric. I usually have it face the back of the bag and slide it down. If it were facing my text book and I tried to slide it in it would grip the book and be really tough to slide. Slides like ice on fabric, though.

I will post a couple of pics below. BTW, the bag closes just fine. The pouches are roomier than 8 1/2 by 11. So if they get a bit wrappy-round at the ends the contents in my case are fine.
    ex machina: Your pictures highlight my point exactly, your Large Pouches also need to curl on the sides to fit into the Imago. It does fit better as you pointed out if the Pouch is inserted upside down, but then it defeats the purpose of being able to slide papers in and out without taking the Pouch out of the Imago.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    ex machina: Your pictures highlight my point exactly, your Large Pouches also need to curl on the sides to fit into the Imago. It does fit better as you pointed out if the Pouch is inserted upside down, but then it defeats the purpose of being able to slide papers in and out without taking the Pouch out of the Imago.
    Ah, ok. Then you might find these folders better suited to your needs. I haven't used them (moriond is a happy user of their predecessor - the Briefcase Folders), but I have done business with Levenger for over a decade and I have been very happy with them as a company.

Also, if easy access to papers from the top of the bag is a priority, the Zephyr may be a better fit with your needs. It has a built in file folder system. But I do see your trouble now, as you need easy access to take papers in and out, but don't want to remove the pouch. I see the dilemma.

Thinking on your problem, and how I would address it using what I have around, I will post a photo below of my solution. What I used are file folders designed to be inside hanging folders (the blue folders), and a plastic expandable hanging file folder with retractable arms to house them. Both are available from Staples. I think this might solve your dilemma. Does it look like a solution to you, Bag Lady?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, yes, moriond! Your picture shows exactly the effect I was hoping for! You write, "Note that I had to pull the pouch up out of the bag a bit in order to show the zipper and the inserted folder in the photo." So I assume it sits below the side seam of the Imago? And that the snap hook does not protrude above the side seam? However, your picture shows exactly how my Large Pouch sits in the Imago without me pulling the pouch up out of the bag.

Plus, in your photo, the zipper on the Large Pouch seems to go straight across, without any bending or curling to fit into the Imago. It's looks like a good fit width-wise, again the effect I was hoping for!
    I just managed to lose most of my reply (too much time spent trying to embed links), but starting again, and more briefly, I'll just state that you're correct, in my Imago the large pouch sits below the seam, the zipper runs straight across, and the snap hook marginally sits level with the side seam when the pouch is inserted. The older (slightly smaller) large organizer pouches also fit inside the Imago, but it's easier to insert folders and A4 paper into the newer (post May 2008) large organizer pouches.

I wonder if the Imago in Cordura has a slightly larger interior than the Ballistic?
    I don't think the construction of the Imago affects the fit of the large organizer pouch. I usually carry a Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago in Ballistic nylon, shown in these pictures from eristick's post. (I bought this Imago after seeing her post; I'd wanted to get an Imago in Ballistic nylon, and also use an alternative Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap, which was not an option with the original Imago release.) I use large organizer pouch with both these Imagos.

Also curious, I see a TB keystrap hanging out above the zippered pocket... what is it attached to? Do you have an O-ring on that side?
    I carried two pouches attached to O-rings: a pen/pencil clear organizer pouch in Sapphire and white Dyneema attached to an O-ring inside the main pocket at the right, and a Clear Organizer wallet in Olive Cordura with Cayenne and Red inserts attached to the keystrap. The main reason for taking the picture of the large organizer pouch with the Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi (Cordura) Imago was that the colors matched better -- including the match with the (Olive/Cayenne/Crimson) wallet, which was admired and "borrowed" before I could take the picture with the wallet attached. There really wasn't a difference in the fit for the large pouches inside the Imago.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-23-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: corrected year of new large organizer pouch introduction (May 2008)

Ah, ok. Then you might find these folders better suited to your needs. I haven't used them (moriond is a happy user of their predecessor - the Briefcase Folders), but I have done business with Levenger for over a decade and I have been very happy with them as a company.

Also, if easy access to papers from the top of the bag is a priority, the Zephyr may be a better fit with your needs. It has a built in file folder system. But I do see your trouble now, as you need easy access to take papers in and out, but don't want to remove the pouch. I see the dilemma.

Thinking on your problem, and how I would address it using what I have around, I will post a photo below of my solution. What I used are file folders designed to be inside hanging folders (the blue folders), and a plastic expandable hanging file folder with retractable arms to house them. Both are available from Staples. I think this might solve your dilemma. Does it look like a solution to you, Bag Lady?
    Ah, ex machina, what would I do without my TB Forum friends? So grateful for your interest in my silly little problems! Yes, you're right, it appears that there may be other solutions out there, outside of the TB world!

I was really hoping to use a Tom Bihn product because I have come to love the excellent quality of all their pieces; even if the Large Organizer Pouch doesn't fit my needs in this situation, I appreciate all the little details, e.g. the fabric piping, the rounded corners, the sturdy zipper, the gorgeous colors, and the durability of it all. Maybe that's why I'm whining so much... I really, really want to use the Pouches!!!

Thanks for taking the time to come up with other options, I so appreciate it!
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    ... I'll just state that you're correct, in my Imago the large pouch sits below the seam, the zipper runs straight across, and the snap hook marginally sits level with the side seam when the pouch is inserted. The older (slightly smaller) large organizer pouches also fit inside the Imago, but it's easier to insert folders and A4 paper into the newer (post May 2007) large organizer pouches.
    Thank you, moriond, thank you! Your reply makes me feel better... I'm not crazy! I don't know why the Large Pouch doesn't fit as nicely in my Imago as it apparently does in your Imago... I realize that all TB products are made by hand, maybe I have a slightly larger variation? I don't know, but now I'm on the hunt for the older (slightly smaller) Large Pouches since I only need to carry loose letter-size papers, and not A4 papers or file folders. Maybe I need to start a new thread calling for pre-May 2007 Large Organizer Pouches?

Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe I need to start a new thread calling for pre-May 2007 Large Organizer Pouches?
    If you do, change the year so this is pre-May 2008 -- my typo in re-entering text after I'd lost the original post. Glad the comments helped.

I handle the hook by putting the pouch in hook/zipper first. No dangles that way. I also have a bit of curling but the more stuffed the pouch the less there is of it.

Your return had me reflect on my first Tom Bihn purchase, a Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne. I was very tight for money at the time, but I needed a bag and was willing to sacrifice for the sake of quality. I was unsure at the time if the Medium would be large enough and thought the Large Cafe Bag too big. Well, after getting the medium sent, I decided after its arrival it was too small. I even called to ask about the return procedure. But in the end, its intrinsic quality so impressed me that I decided to keep it. I would find a use for it. It became my go-to every day carry bag for about a year. It's great. I only in the last couple of weeks switched to using my Large Cafe Bag as my EDC.

You might want to wait a week on that return. Sometimes the design in Tom's products is so powerful we don't see the forest for the trees. I am real happy I kept my Medium Cafe Bag.
    Oh so true! I ordered an Imago a couple of years ago and rather hastily decided that it was too large and sent it back. It kept flitting in and out of my thoughts until I visited the showroom a couple of months ago, looked at the bag again, and wondered what on earth I had been thinking! I bought it and it has been the *only* bag I've used since! It works well whether it is stuffed or virtually empty.
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    Oh so true! I ordered an Imago a couple of years ago and rather hastily decided that it was too large and sent it back. It kept flitting in and out of my thoughts until I visited the showroom a couple of months ago, looked at the bag again, and wondered what on earth I had been thinking! I bought it and it has been the *only* bag I've used since! It works well whether it is stuffed or virtually empty.
    Maybe that's why TB has such a generous return policy of 60 days for a full refund! Yes, I will ponder the return of the Large Organizer Pouches carefully, afterall, I'm sure I can organize something in them.

I use the Large Organizer Pouches inside my Large Cafe Bags and Brain Bags.

There is no fit problem and they are life savers to organize documents on the go.

They are very stylish in Cordura as well as very light and packable in Dyneema.
    Great for travel.

I was one of the person who asked that the Large Organizer Pouches be made big enough to hold loose papers in folders.

I use a lot of plastic envelopes and wallets at home but they are not stylish enough to be carried in a business or formal setting.

But plastic folders can easily be slipped in a Large Organizer Pouch used as a minimalist briefcase.

I made the mistake of bringing too much things to an interview for a volunteer position, I also brought an assortment of non professional looking holders for my pens, resume and writing pad.

It is not a mistake I will make again, I have my pens in a Tom Bihn Pouch and will choose one of my Large Pouches for the letter size papers.

The clip on the Pouches is a lifesaver as I can secure pen and paper Pouches on a key ring then a Tom Bihn Key Strap, itself clipped into an O ring.

I don't want to loose things but I might if I get nervous.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-24-2009 at 10:36 PM.

How are the Large Organizer Pouches in a Swift? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and gifting myself with the Swift for Christmas and think the pouch would be a perfect size for patterns.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Quote Originally Posted by DQBunny View Post
    How are the Large Organizer Pouches in a Swift? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and gifting myself with the Swift for Christmas and think the pouch would be a perfect size for patterns.
    It fits perfectly.

However the square sides of the Clear Large Organiser Pouch stick out when follow the sloped sides of the Swift.

I believe that there is a Swift specific insert in the works but that need to be confirmed by other forum members and ultimately by the TB crew when you are ready to order the Swift.

If you could at all have the pattern in a half letter size format, the Medium Clear Organizer Pouch is great.

But, being a needlework enthusiast, stitch books only come as big hardcovers reference or letter size paperback. So I understand the need of a letter size Pouch in a Swift.

Here ya go:

More details in a new thread I started in the "Packing Lists" sub-forum. Enjoy.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

How do you use your Large Organizer Pouch?

I transfer mine between my Saddleback Leather briefcase (EDC) and my LCB for when I travel.

The COP has a few David Allen file folders, envelope for receipts, and any papers needed for the trip. The COP also divides the LCB into two sections - one for the sewn-in organizer for odds and ends, and the other section behind the COP for iPad and 6Z Cache for my laptop.

It keeps the iPad and Cache from getting caught on the sewn-in organization in the front of the LCB.

I love that I can just grab this and my organizer pouches/key straps and transfer contents from one bag to the other and not worry about forgetting anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've started using my dyneema large organizer pouch for my gym clothes (shorts, tank, sports towel, sports bra, undies). It has a slimmer profile than a packing cube and everything fits great.

I use my solar dyneema large OP to carry magazines, books, and other reading material/notes in my Western Flyer or TriStar while traveling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0