Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cork and Cold Weather?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    This has been a fun thread.

Darcy, while you're here: Does Nikwax work on cork? Is it recommended for eventual cork maintenance?
    Cork is naturally water-repellent. I'm not sure if it needs Nikwax (none of my cork bags seem like they need that - yet) but we are testing Nikwax on a swatch to see if it harms the cork in any way.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Cork is naturally water-repellent. I'm not sure if it needs Nikwax (none of my cork bags seem like they need that - yet) but we are testing Nikwax on a swatch to see if it harms the cork in any way.
    Oh, this is great! More testing!

I think people are having a tough time envisioning the cork fabric and make no mistake, it is a fabric. It is not cork stuck on a fabric. My cork pouch is unlike any cork I had previously experienced. I made a quick video so people can see the flexibility and fabric nature of the cork material. This isn't wine bottle type cork. Though to be sure, it is cork, and you can feel that in the texture.
    Last edited by ex machina; 12-02-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    I made a quick video so people can see the flexibility and fabric nature of the cork material.
    that's an awesome video, ex machina! it really shows the cork fabric really well! thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    that's an awesome video, ex machina! it really shows the cork fabric really well! thanks!!
    My pleasure, maverick. Glad you like it. I hope it helps clear up some of the conceptual hurdle for those who haven't had the opportunity to experience this material first hand.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Couldn't have said it better, this is a really really great video.

Knitter can relate as there is yarn made of bamboo.

Cork is really an amazing fabric and it makes a great "green" statement and each tree layer so each piece of fabric, hence each Tom Bihn Cork product is unique!

Great video, ex. I didn't realize the pouch was cork on both sides.* Guess I'll be adding one to my next order (the eventual Synapse Freudian Slip).

*Official clarification needed: The product page says "1000 denier Cordura fabric on the back side." Are they now cork on both sides?
    Last edited by gmanedit; 12-02-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: To add the footnote.

Attention TB Staffers

I think that 1000 cordura refers to the inner fabric of the pouch, or the backside of the outside. Both sides = inside/outside (My best guess.)

But that's just my take and not an official TB position. I'd like to hear if I am correct or not from a bona fide TB Staffer.

Great video, ex. I didn't realize the pouch was cork on both sides.* Guess I'll be adding one to my next order (the eventual Synapse Freudian Slip).

*Official clarification needed: The product page says "1000 denier Cordura fabric on the back side." Are they now cork on both sides?
    Glad you like it. I am all smiles with the positive feedback on my little video. I posted my best guess above and am waiting with you for the official statement.

Darn - I think I need one of these!

Audrey

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    This just in: Nikwax works wonderfully on cork. It makes the cork noticeably more water-resistant.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    This just in: Nikwax works wonderfully on cork. It makes the cork noticeably more water-resistant.
    Woohoo! Another great test concludes with useful data! Thanks, Darcy!

Results of the Cork Pouch Experiment

Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to tell you my findings of the Cork Pouch Experiment.

To recap:
    1) Spritzed the front and back with water until thoroughly wet.
    2) Placed in my freezer for 48 hours. A thin coating of frost accumulated on the snap hook mechanism. A very small patch of thin sheet of ice accumulated on the cork.
    3) Removed cork from freezer to let it thaw. Did not feel wet or damp as it warmed up to room temperature.
    4) Once it reached room temperature, folded it numberous times, a la ex machina's video, no consequences! No flaking, chipping, breaking of cork. Snapped back beautifully. And it still looks great!

I can finally have peace of mind that the Cork Fabric will wear extremely well in my lake-effect snow part of the world that I live in!!!!!

This test has been concluded.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Hi, Bag Lady.

"I am resigned to carrying the Blk Imago when it arrives": That's so sad—anticipatory buyer's remorse.

Why don't you call Darcy tomorrow and ask if the cork has been tested for your weather conditions? Does the product guarantee cover frigid weather?
    Hi gmanedit! I have been using the Blk/Blk/Wasabi for several weeks now and loving it. No buyer's remorse here! That's because since I mostly have it sitting on my desk/counter/car seat next to me, I usually have the flap open and therefore see the beautiful Wasabi, instead of the sea of black. Also, I have the new Medium Cafe Bag in Steel already loaded with my essentials that I keep in my car so I tend to pull my wallet and cell phone out of my Imago, and place them in the MCB and carry that in and out of stores. When I do that, I buckle up the Imago, and tuck it out of sight (usually in the front passenger seat leg area, within a larger Lands End bag.)

Also, I clipped my small Cork Pouch to the open front pocket that's lined with Wasabi, and I just love how the Cork and Wasabi look together, green and brown, how can you go wrong with that?

Alas, since I've been bitten by the Bihn bug, I know deep in my heart that I will eventually order the Steel/Cork/Wasaki Imago, esp. now that I am confident the Cork will survive the snow/freeze combination. But since these bags are made so well, I can't justify it right now. Maybe I'll order it soon in case they discontinue the color scheme, and save it for later...
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Hi, Bag Lady. Congratulations on the success of your experiment. Thanks to you, ex machina, and Darcy, we've learned that cork freezes and crumples to no ill effect and can be Nikwaxed for more weatherproofing.

I'm glad your black bag is working out. If you lived in New York, where the first rule is never leave anything in your car, you could order the steel/cork/wasabi after your car was broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to tell you my findings of the Cork Pouch Experiment.

To recap:
    1) Spritzed the front and back with water until thoroughly wet.
    2) Placed in my freezer for 48 hours. A thin coating of frost accumulated on the snap hook mechanism. A very small patch of thin sheet of ice accumulated on the cork.
    3) Removed cork from freezer to let it thaw. Did not feel wet or damp as it warmed up to room temperature.
    4) Once it reached room temperature, folded it numberous times, a la ex machina's video, no consequences! No flaking, chipping, breaking of cork. Snapped back beautifully. And it still looks great!

I can finally have peace of mind that the Cork Fabric will wear extremely well in my lake-effect snow part of the world that I live in!!!!!

This test has been concluded.
    Fantastic! Thanks for doing your experiment Bag Lady, and posting your results.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0