Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cork and Cold Weather?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    92
    backpack and ex machina: thanks for your thoughts on the Cork in the Cold mystery. I emailed TB & Co. earlier today, so hopefully will be able to post their response to my query soon!

    In the meantime, I can't wait to get my hands on a piece of cork, so I'm ordering the Small Cork Pouch as a lovely new home for my iPhone right now...
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    backpack and ex machina: thanks for your thoughts on the Cork in the Cold mystery. I emailed TB & Co. earlier today, so hopefully will be able to post their response to my query soon!

    In the meantime, I can't wait to get my hands on a piece of cork, so I'm ordering the Small Cork Pouch as a lovely new home for my iPhone right now...
    Your very welcome, Bag Lady. I bet you'll like the cork pouch. It's fun! I think that is the 'secret' ingredient of Tom Bihn's bags: they're fun.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425
    Wet the cork pouch, freeze it, thaw it, inspect it.

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Set a plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range, fire 3 controlled bursts using the Heisenburg Compensation Protocol. Next, intersect a beam of anti-protons with the pouch. Complete by chanting 'Mum-Ra the Ever Living', while wielding the Sword of Omens in the traditional 3 slash summoning movement ending in contact with the pouch itself. Inspect pouch, return if marred.

    This is the minimum standard quality control test for entry level pouches at TB. <whistles, twiddles thumbs, shifts feet>
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Set a plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range, fire 3 controlled bursts using the Heisenburg Compensation Protocol. Next, intersect a beam of anti-protons with the pouch. Complete by chanting 'Mum-Ra the Ever Living', while wielding the Sword of Omens in the traditional 3 slash summoning movement ending in contact with the pouch itself. Inspect pouch, return if marred.

    This is the minimum standard quality control test for entry level pouches at TB. <whistles, twiddles thumbs, shifts feet>
    Stunned. Speechless. Amused.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Hi, Bag Lady.

    "I am resigned to carrying the Blk Imago when it arrives": That's so sad—anticipatory buyer's remorse.

    Why don't you call Darcy tomorrow and ask if the cork has been tested for your weather conditions? Does the product guarantee cover frigid weather?
    As of today, Dec. 1, I still have not heard back from the TB folks. Does Darcy have some kind of hotline I'm not aware of? BTW, I think I emailed TB & Co. cuz as I remember, the time zone difference made it difficult for me to call.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Wet the cork pouch, freeze it, thaw it, inspect it.
    Well, today, I received the mini Cork Pouch, so I am going to try this experiment! While I'm aware that I may be potentially sacrificing my $10 investment in the interest of science, I am still determined to go ahead with the testing.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

  8. #23
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,427
    Sorry for the late response: I think we were stumped, and your email was overlooked. Again, sorry about that!

    Here's the thing - Cork is really, really tough stuff. Perhaps not as tough as 1050 denier ballistic nylon, but still very tough. We wouldn't use it if it wasn't tough. While no official cold weather experiments have been conducted on cork, I've used Cork Organizer Pouches and my Archetype (in Cork) since 2006 in Seattle weather, and other than the natural darkening of the cork, there's no change in it. We've sold Cork bags since 2006 to customers all over the world and haven't heard of any complaints or problems from customers.

    When we first began using the cork fabric, we did tie a Cork Organizer Pouch to the bicycle of an employee who biked to and from work everyday in all kinds of Seattle weather (including snow), and other than that natural darkening, it was as good as new.

    I hope this helps!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    As of today, Dec. 1, I still have not heard back from the TB folks. Does Darcy have some kind of hotline I'm not aware of? BTW, I think I emailed TB & Co. cuz as I remember, the time zone difference made it difficult for me to call.
    They've been swamped. Resend the request or ring them up at 1-800-729-9607 or 1-360-452-0115.

    Edit: Doh! I just saw that Darcy responded while I was writing the above.
    Last edited by ex machina; 12-01-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added my doh!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    When we first began using the cork fabric, we did tie a Cork Organizer Pouch to the bicycle of an employee who biked to and from work everyday in all kinds of Seattle weather (including snow), and other than that natural darkening, it was as good as new.

    I hope this helps!
    Low tech real world testing: so cool.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Well, today, I received the mini Cork Pouch, so I am going to try this experiment! While I'm aware that I may be potentially sacrificing my $10 investment in the interest of science, I am still determined to go ahead with the testing.
    Hold off the experiment!

    But we need to know your experience with the Smalll Cafe Bag and the Wallet.

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Hold off the experiment!

    But we need to know your experience with the Smalll Cafe Bag and the Wallet.
    I like the experiment. What about attaching the pouch to the hub of a car tire for a week? Maybe a key strap wrapped through the hub and both ends attached to the pouch. Any scuba divers in the forum who can take one to deep depths? I'd like to attach one to a bathysphere and drop it in the Marianas Trench. I saw a picture of a Styrofoam cup that was done too, and it was compressed but still had its original shape!

    I Googled and found a bunch of cups that have made the trip. Talk about stress testing!
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425
    This has been a fun thread.

    Darcy, while you're here: Does Nikwax work on cork? Is it recommended for eventual cork maintenance?

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Sorry for the late response: I think we were stumped, and your email was overlooked. Again, sorry about that!

    Here's the thing - Cork is really, really tough stuff. Perhaps not as tough as 1050 denier ballistic nylon, but still very tough. We wouldn't use it if it wasn't tough. While no official cold weather experiments have been conducted on cork, I've used Cork Organizer Pouches and my Archetype (in Cork) since 2006 in Seattle weather, and other than the natural darkening of the cork, there's no change in it. We've sold Cork bags since 2006 to customers all over the world and haven't heard of any complaints or problems from customers.

    When we first began using the cork fabric, we did tie a Cork Organizer Pouch to the bicycle of an employee who biked to and from work everyday in all kinds of Seattle weather (including snow), and other than that natural darkening, it was as good as new.

    I hope this helps!
    Thanks, Darcy. I understand about overlooked emails, I've been there!

    I love how you tested the cork by tying it to a bicycle! That is too cool.

    I really didn't understand about cork fabric until I held it in my hands yesterday. It is amazingly thin and flexible. I did go ahead with my experiment: spritzed it with a water bottle, and it's been in my freezer overnight. (sounds cruel, I know ) I just checked on it, and it still looks good. Only a little bit of ice has collected on it. I'll leave it there for another day, thaw it out, and will bend it to see if anything will flake off. Then I will be satisfied.
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag Lady View Post
    I did go ahead with my experiment: spritzed it with a water bottle, and it's been in my freezer overnight. (sounds cruel, I know ) I just checked on it, and it still looks good. Only a little bit of ice has collected on it. I'll leave it there for another day, thaw it out, and will bend it to see if anything will flake off. Then I will be satisfied.
    Way cool, Bag Lady! I look forward to reading your results.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0