Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Cool Imago questions...?

Does anyone have, or direct me to pics of the Imago in:

Indigo/Plum/Steel

Black/Black/Wasabi

Indigo/Steel/Steel

I'm wanting something that drapes/molds well against your hip, but is also tough and long wearing. Something that resists dirt too. You'd think I'd know, after having an ID and a LCB for awhile now. I'm still sort of fuzzy on the Ballistic Nylon/Cordura difference. I must have fallen asleep in class that day...
    Last edited by dbradford; 11-14-2009 at 10:02 AM.

giantoid has posted some beautiful pics of the Blk/Blk/Wasabi ballistic which were convincing enough for me...

Look under the Customer Pictures and Videos category in the Forum, and the post is called What's in my Imago?

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bag Lady; 11-14-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammar!
    Olive/Wasabi SCB, Steel/Olive MCB, Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago w/ Absolute Strap, Blk/Steel/Wasabi ID, Small Padded Pouch, Wallet in Olive, Mini Cork Organizer Pouch

Hi, dbradford.

I don't have an Imago, so I can't speak to that, but I have bags in Cordura and ballistic nylon. I prefer ballistic nylon. Cordura is a little more flexible; ballistic nylon is smoother and shinier, is more dirt- and cat-hair-resistant, and feels better to the touch. I think it is more abrasion-resistant (hence its use in the more luggage-like bags).

The product page for the ID says it's made of ballistic nylon, and the LCB is Cordura, so you can compare them directly.

Thumbs up Thanks for the help guys!

Bag Lady - thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look see. Black/Black isn't my absolute favorite, I like some splash of TB color on the bags. It's cool, plus it'd make it easier to spot me in a crowd, helpful in Asia! I talked to the powers that be, and they nixed new color combos for the Imago (I keep imagining Darcy wincing everytime she sees an email from me, because she know what she's in for!). It's hard to imagine the color combos together. I love the look of the Indiglo, but I have a prejudice (maybe unfounded, since I've never seen the TB Steel) against the Steel. Maybe I'm thinking it's too much like Silver...

gmanedit - thanks! I know I should be able to tell the difference, I was just curious how it wore with the shape of the Imago. My ID is a little stiff, and tends to hang out on the sides a little. So, when you're trying to 'stealth' your way through a crowd, it can be a challenge. Plus I've knocked over a few displays with it (always fun!). I like the way the LCB hangs vertically, and molds to your hip, but maybe something a little bit bigger? Something between the LCB and ID in size?

I have a cordura Imago and it does mold to my body quite nicely depending on much I have stuffed into it at the time!

I have a Lux in the ballistic material and I think I prefer the cordura. The ballistic is pretty firm (for lack of a better word) and while I like it in an upright tote like the Lux (which is the predecessor to the Swift), I prefer a more supple fabric for the Imago.

I've decided that the Imago is my favorite bag of all! It holds a ton of stuff when it needs to, yet if the big interior pocket is completely empty it still looks good and handles well - doesn't feel sloppy/floppy like some large bags do when they are not full. I keep my wallet in the small zippered front compartment and it is very easy to take it out with a minimum of fuss, yet it is very secure in there. And the best part is the huge flap that keeps the water out in a downpour - and believe me it has had a good test over the past week in the Seattle area!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Quote Originally Posted by dbradford View Post
    Bag Lady - thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look see. Black/Black isn't my absolute favorite, I like some splash of TB color on the bags. It's cool, plus it'd make it easier to spot me in a crowd, helpful in Asia! I talked to the powers that be, and they nixed new color combos for the Imago (I keep imagining Darcy wincing everytime she sees an email from me, because she know what she's in for!). It's hard to imagine the color combos together. I love the look of the Indiglo, but I have a prejudice (maybe unfounded, since I've never seen the TB Steel) against the Steel. Maybe I'm thinking it's too much like Silver...

gmanedit - thanks! I know I should be able to tell the difference, I was just curious how it wore with the shape of the Imago. My ID is a little stiff, and tends to hang out on the sides a little. So, when you're trying to 'stealth' your way through a crowd, it can be a challenge. Plus I've knocked over a few displays with it (always fun!). I like the way the LCB hangs vertically, and molds to your hip, but maybe something a little bit bigger? Something between the LCB and ID in size?

Steel is not like silver, it is more like a soft charcoal, or slate depending if it is in Cordura or Ballistic.

It is the most beautiful color as its hue change with the light that surrounds it.

It can be really dark charcoal in a dim lit place and a glorious light charcoal.
    All Tom Bihn Bag have nice shimmer when they reflect light either indoor or in the sun but in the sun they have yet a different hue.

All my Cafe Bags are lined in Steel and I have a Brain Bag in Steel.

I have always loved purses, bags, totes, luggage... I have never seen anything like Steel in the Tom Bihn bag line.

The closest to a nice charcoal I own that is not a Tom Bihn bag is a bag that I bough in France. At the time, the brand used very nice microfiber and black leather handles.
    When the brand expanded worldwide, they started using cheap nylon and brown leather handles.

After I got that bag, our car stopped working and we had to save to buy a used one. It meant that I needed big capacity bags to use on public transportation.

I also no longer wanted to use leather.
    So I ran the gamut of canvas, nylon and even Ripstop nylon (that fabric was so stiff that the bag it was used for could not be folded to its pouch). I know because I got stuck in line at an airport trying to fold it.

If you wish, you can order a bag in Steel and the same or another in a different color, try them on at home in front of the mirror and away from sharp claws, muddy paws and candy coated fingers. Then you can keep the one you like best and send back the one that is you haven't found quite to your taste.

Tom and Darcy are amazing and really want every customer to be the happiest.

That is why this forum was created as a way to find the needs of the company customer base and also to expand the product line.

Thanks Heidi Jill,

I figured as much on the difference of materials, though I sort of wondered if there was a difference not having a stiffner inside like the ID has. I'll give it some thought though, and in the meantime I'll wait for TB to come out with EXACTLY the right thing! He usually does.

I bet I have you beat on the downpour issue, living like I do in S.E. Asia.

Thanks backpack for helping me visualize the Steel color, it really helped. I'm sort of drawn to the Indiglo/Plum/Steel in Cordura, but the size/placement of the pockets. plus the lack of pen slots makes me hesitant. Oh, well, the Large Cafe is working for me at the moment. You just always dream about "The Perfect" bag, at least I do. The problem is, it probably doesn't exist...
    Last edited by dbradford; 11-21-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0