Checking-in an Aeronaut?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing an Aeronaut, mainly as a carry-on bag, but possibly also for 6 - 8 flights per year as a checked bag. The flights are on REX (SAAB Turboprop) / Qantaslink (Dash 8) from Sydney, and the bags don't spend much time on conveyors from what I can determine.

Just wondering if people have checked in the Aeronaut (not gate-check)? Any precautions such as slipping into a stuff sack or ultralite (nylon / taffeta) "emergency" tote?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    hi notmensa,

i checked in my crimson/steel aeronaut once on a return trip from india. my aeronaut arrived with a couple of black scuffs. i imagine this happened as the aeronaut got scuffed against the sort of luggage that scuffs up your walls.

per darcy's recommendation, i used a mind dish soap and water, and the stains rubbed out nicely.

i suppose if i had a black aeronaut, i wouldn't have noticed any scuffs. but crimson is such a lovely color!

don't forget to pack away the backpack straps and remove the shoulder strap and stow it inside the aeronaut before checking it in.

Could the Aeronaut hold up to always being checked instead of carried on? I ask because I like to sometimes pack things that are not allowed to be carried on. I love the Aeronaut concept, but wonder how it would hold up to being checked many times?

Thanks.

My experience with the Western Flyer--also in crimsom--is identical to maverick's. A few smudges but otherwise pristine. It's been checked in probably a dozen or so times, from the year when I blew out my rotator cuff (I'll never throw a curve ball again...) and had to check my bags to spare my shoulder. I bet the Aeronaut is no less sturdy.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Could the Aeronaut hold up to always being checked instead of carried on?
    I don't believe the mechanics of either being a factor. Checked-in, it may go by conveyor and cart to the aircraft where it gets loaded into a cargo hold (most which are actually pretty clean). Probably no worse treatment than carrying it through a crowded terminal subject to bumps and bangs on the way to the plane.

I have no problem checking mine. Durability has yet to become an issue.

Since most of the other luggage brands probably use lower quality cordura or ballistic nylon and seem to survive OK, I don't think that it's a major issue of concern

I've checked my Aeronaut several times with no major damage to it or the contents inside. In fact, the Aeronaut shows less wear and tear than the hard-shell Samsonite case I use for bigger trips.

Reviving this thread rather than opening a new one, as I have a question on the same topic - I have used the Aeronaut on dozens of trips successfully as carry-on and love it. Now I'm getting ready for a 2.5-week trip to China and because I'll have a prolonged bus- and train trip right after landing in Shanghai, I'd like to take as little luggage as possible. It'll be summer so fewer clothes are required and I think I can get by with just the Aeronaut checked and a Ristretto as carry-on.
    So for those of you who have checked the Aeronaut before - how did you secure it? Just padlocks on all 3 compartments? Any other tricks?

Thanks!
    Kai

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by khaberz View Post
    Reviving this thread rather than opening a new one, as I have a question on the same topic - I have used the Aeronaut on dozens of trips successfully as carry-on and love it. Now I'm getting ready for a 2.5-week trip to China and because I'll have a prolonged bus- and train trip right after landing in Shanghai, I'd like to take as little luggage as possible. It'll be summer so fewer clothes are required and I think I can get by with just the Aeronaut checked and a Ristretto as carry-on.
    So for those of you who have checked the Aeronaut before - how did you secure it? Just padlocks on all 3 compartments? Any other tricks?

Thanks!
    Kai
    hi kai!

i think the aeronaut and ristretto will make a fine travel pair! depending on the carry-ons allowed by the airline you will travel, you may even be able to carry the aeronaut and ristretto onboard (provided you're not carrying something that requires you to check in the aeronaut).

you could certain use locks or a security strap. i've personally never bothered with locks, but i've only had to check in my aeronaut a few of times.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i think the aeronaut and ristretto will make a fine travel pair! depending on the carry-ons allowed by the airline you will travel, you may even be able to carry the aeronaut and ristretto onboard (provided you're not carrying something that requires you to check in the aeronaut).
    I have actually used both together as carry-on for several trips, however always had a suitcase checked in addition. I will have to check the Aeronaut this time, as I want to take a leatherman and probably more toiletries than the liquid restrictions will allow. And maybe a flask

you could certain use locks or a security strap. i've personally never bothered with locks, but i've only had to check in my aeronaut a few of times.
    Come to think of it, maybe I'll just use cable ties to make it at least a little more difficult. Then again, I'd need to get to my leatherman to cut those

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by khaberz View Post
    Come to think of it, maybe I'll just use cable ties to make it at least a little more difficult. Then again, I'd need to get to my leatherman to cut those Thanks!
    I've used cable ties to secure my Checkpoint Flyer and Western Flyer before when traveling in China. If your nail clippers are strong enough, you can stash them in your carry-on and cut the cable ties with those.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0