Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Cache vs Soft Cell

I have a soft cell. What's the difference between the new cache and the soft cell?

Volunteer Moderator
    hi mrae,

i believe that both the soft cell and the cache are made out of the same padding. from the product description for the cache:

"Its 1/4" (6mm) thick foam padding laminated with an exterior of four-ply Taslan and an interior of brushed tricot."

there is a difference in how they are sewn. i believe that darcy mentioned that a special sewing machine was required in order for them to be able to make the cache.

for the user, the difference is in how the cache functions. rather than having a velcro closure, you now have a flap that you can tuck into the opening.

I really like the Checkpoint Flyer Laptop case.

I hope the smallest one is going to fit into the Synapse.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I really like the Checkpoint Flyer Laptop case.

I hope the smallest one is going to fit into the Synapse.
    hey, that's an interesting idea! so by the smallest one, are you referring to the checkpoint flyer laptop case for the 13" macbook? the dimensions for it are 12.8" x 8.9" x 1.65". this should work very nicely based on the fact that the size 6 cache, which we know fits inside of the synapse, is 12.9" 9.0" 1.1" - the checkpoint flyer laptop case is just a little thicker than the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hey, that's an interesting idea! so by the smallest one, are you referring to the checkpoint flyer laptop case for the 13" macbook? the dimensions for it are 12.8" x 8.9" x 1.65". this should work very nicely based on the fact that the size 6 cache, which we know fits inside of the synapse, is 12.9" 9.0" 1.1" - the checkpoint flyer laptop case is just a little thicker than the cache.
    That is exactly the one I was referring to Maverick!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    We hope to feature our new sewing machine - the one that we brought in to make the Cache - in a blog post sometime soon. It's been an exciting addition to our factory floor line-up.

A big difference between the Soft Cell and the Cache is that the Cache provides a much more exact fit for thinner laptops (like the MacBook Air.) As maverick noted, the Velcro is gone - making inserting/removing your laptop a silent process.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

So will the Checkpoint Flyer Case for the 13" Macbook fit inside the Synapse and if so, would it fit portrait or landscape?

Darcy?

So will the Checkpoint Flyer Case for the 13" Macbook fit inside the Synapse and if so, would it fit portrait or landscape?

Darcy?
    That bag looks interesting. Now I wish I hadn't gotten my brain cell since it isn't going to fit in my new synapse. It looks like the small Checkpoint Flyer Case fit my eee as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    That bag looks interesting. Now I wish I hadn't gotten my brain cell since it isn't going to fit in my new synapse. It looks like the small Checkpoint Flyer Case fit my eee as well.
    I am sure you have other bags that can fit the Brain Cell.

A case that small can fit more than a netbook.
    A DVD player, an external hard drive, an e-book reader, wacom tablets, one of those digital picture frames, extra battery packs for laptops/netbooks and cameras...

And I am sure more electronic devices of that size are likely to develop in the coming years. Such as tablet netbooks which will merge the convenience of a netbook with the slim profile of a tablet.

There is a rumor that something like that is in the works at Apple and if Apple does it, others will follow.

Netbooks Grow!?!

I was wondering if we are going to see a size 5 (11.3 9.3 1.4 inches (286 236 35 mm)) Cache?
    With all the new 12" Netbookish machines coming out with 6 cells that measure roughly 11-12 x 8-9 x 1. The netbook cache is just too small for the new 11.6-12.1" screened netbooks.

Examples:
    Acer Aspire timeline 1410: 11.2 x 8 x 1.2
    Acer Aspire One 751: 11.2 x 8.5 x 1.1
    Samsung N510: 11.4 x 8 x 1.2
    Gateway LT3103U: 11.3 x 8 x 1.1
    HP Mini 311: 11.4 x 8 x 1.2
    Dell Inspiron 11z: 11.5 x 8.43 x 1.02

I am puzzled by the Size 1 and 6 Cache's, they are the same dimensions except for .3" in the thickness, with the folding top is it that noticable?

Thax

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Darcy?
    backpack,

Just tried it - the 13" Checkpoint Flyer Case will fit in the Synapse portrait, but not landscape.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Quote Originally Posted by thax View Post
    I was wondering if we are going to see a size 5 (11.3 9.3 1.4 inches (286 236 35 mm)) Cache?
    With all the new 12" Netbookish machines coming out with 6 cells that measure roughly 11-12 x 8-9 x 1. The netbook cache is just too small for the new 11.6-12.1" screened netbooks.

Examples:
    Acer Aspire timeline 1410: 11.2 x 8 x 1.2
    Acer Aspire One 751: 11.2 x 8.5 x 1.1
    Samsung N510: 11.4 x 8 x 1.2
    Gateway LT3103U: 11.3 x 8 x 1.1
    HP Mini 311: 11.4 x 8 x 1.2
    Dell Inspiron 11z: 11.5 x 8.43 x 1.02

I am puzzled by the Size 1 and 6 Cache's, they are the same dimensions except for .3" in the thickness, with the folding top is it that noticable?

Thax
    I'm not sure where you are seeing the Size 1 and the Size 6 as almost the same - perhaps there's a typo somewhere on the site but they are quite different.
    And thanks so much for listing off the above Netbooks - looks like the beginning of a new size.

hopefully not too offtopic :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    I'm not sure where you are seeing the Size 1 and the Size 6 as almost the same - perhaps there's a typo somewhere on the site but they are quite different.
    And thanks so much for listing off the above Netbooks - looks like the beginning of a new size.
    Thank you for the reply Mr. Bihn.
    Sorry I typed it incorrectly, as I look at the fit list page today for the Cache it is the Air Cache (Horizontal) has interior dimensions 12.9 9.0 0.8 inches) versus Size 6 (Horizontal) has interior dimensions 12.9 9.0 1.1 inches).

It seems that this segment of the net/notebook market is going to grow. The netbook market has gone from the 7" EEE 701 in 2007 to the 8.9" screens for 2008. Now it is standard for 10" and emerging higher resolution 11.6-12.1" screens for the latter part of 2009 into 2010. It is also becoming more common to have 6 cell batteries included which increase the size by .5-1" in depth.

Thanks for keeping up with the trends by making sleeves and cases for netbooks that are not just rebadged DVD player products.

Thax
    Last edited by thax; 09-21-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling, argh

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    The Horizontal Air Cache is actually wedge-shaped just like the Air itself; we may actually not do a vertical Air size and just offer the size 6 for the MB Air.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0