Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    KarlJ,

What kind of garment bag do you use?
    Briggs & Riley Carry-On Garment Bag

Are you saying the TB bags aren't the answer?
    For me, no they aren't always the answer.

At this point, my thinking is that if I bought an article of non-carry-on luggage, it would probably be one of those garment bags from Red Oxx. For now, I haven't made any firm decision and I have not ruled anything out, but I'm leaning toward carry-on-style luggage. I want something that's easy to carry in the airport and to the hotel and maybe I can get away with carrying it onto the plane with me.

I know that none of these carry-ons are optimal for a suit, but I look at all luggage as a varying approach to compromise anyway. One thing I really want to avoid after a trip I made to Stanford U in 2003: no more rolling luggage. I wound up having to roll mine for about a mile over less than optimal sidewalks and the little wheelies weren't up to it. That pares down the options in a hurry, doesn't it?
    Last edited by MtnMan; 11-04-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo correction

Thumbs up Using Mock-Ups

When I was looking for a TB bag to replace my cheapo backpack that I used to carry items to work, I used mockups of different bags to help me decide which one would fit my needs.

I used newspapers to create mockups of Ego, Super Ego, and ID. I just measured out the height, width, depth and taped them together. This forms a box shape without the top

I didn't mock up the flaps or dividers, etc.

This gave me a rough volume approximation of how my "stuff" would fit. And also how it would carry in relation to my size.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I think I found two bags that offer things that I'm looking for, but they are from separate manufacturers. No one bag hits the Bull's Eye.

One bag would be either the Tri-Star or Western Flyer. The other bag is an unusual one I just found: a Patagonia MLC Burrito, Style #48115, a maximum carry-on bag.

The Tri-Star is ingeniously designed, with plenty of zippered exterior pockets and with backpack straps built-in. It is also made in USA, and known for high quality materials and workmanship. But its compartmental nature makes it problematic for carrying a suit.

The Burrito is kinda shaped like an Aeronaut when closed. When opened, it rolls out like a garment bag to reveal impressive storage for a suit, shoes, and other travel goodies. Too bad there are no backpack straps and it's made overseas.

Post Aeronaut size is the sweet spot for carry-on

At 44'', the MLC maximum may be too big for a carry-on.
    The airlines are starting to get a bit cranky about the size of carry-ons.

For our trip to Seattle next spring, my wife and I are looking at replacing her wheeled carry-on with one the the size of the Aeronaut. Unfortunely, it won't be a TB bag since she needs a wheeled piece.

I'll be using my EGO as a carry-on to contain camera equipment, assorted electronics, tolitries, and three days of shirts,socks and underwear in case of lost bags.

You're right. It does seem to big for a carry-on.

I think I'll set this thread aside for the time being, and pursue this topic from a different angle.

QUESTION: Western Flyer or Tri-Star

Has anyone ever hauled the following items in a Western Flyer or Tri-Star for a 1-to-3 night trip by air?

Thanks in advance.

A shaving/toiletries kit
    Full suit: sport coat, ties, 2 pr. dress slacks, 2 dress shirts, 1 pr. nice shoes
    Undies for 3 days & 2 pr. dress socks
    Regular "civvie" clothes for return trip: jeans, t-shirt, regular socks
    Trash bag to house "dirty" clothes after they had been worn

If so, how well did you fit this manifest into either a Western Flyer or Tri-Star?

Hey MtnMan: i don't know what size suit you wear. I have the WF--a lot is going to depend on how you fold the jacket so that it does not crush. I would suggest you pack the suit into one of those simple suit carriers and that should fit easily into the WF. The rest of the stuff will fit in there quite easily. In general, I find the WF can carry a lot more than what its size looks like; and if you are carrying a laptop bag or backpack in addition, it should be more than fine.

RE: "one of those simple suit carriers"... Do you mean the kind of protective sheathing they give you at the dry cleaners?

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    At 44'', the MLC maximum may be too big for a carry-on.
    At 22" x 14" x 9", the Aeronaut is 45".

Red face Oops, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    At 22" x 14" x 9", the Aeronaut is 45".
    Thanks. Good catch.

I was wrong, I was thinking of length, not the sum of dimensions.

I need to replace luggage; the piece i need to get has to be able to take slinging onto a canoe for a trip across a Surinamese river, as well as look presentable at a swanky Paris hotel, and it has to be carry-on. I think that the Aeronaut my fit the bill very well, the problem i'm having is that i can't bear the colors it's offered in...so, i may order an Explorer from Chapman Bags in chocolate and use the bespoke service to have backpack straps added...I'm trying to convince myself that the grey of the black Aeronaut will be fine, no luck thus far...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0