Camera Card reader pouch?

Another thing I occasionally haul with my laptop (or at least from one computer to another) is a small, lightweight USB camera card reader I bought about 4-6 years ago at Sam's Club. It's one of those Stratatec 15-in-one jobbies, that can handle any of several kinds of cards. This is useful because I use an Olympus that dates back to 2001, and I know other folks with different kinds of cams that I swap images with.

Here's a picture of the pouch I use now:

It is wayyyyyy too big, and consumes way too much space. Still it offers plenty of pedding and room for at least one good USB cable. I'd like to find something padded that's big enough to house the reader and at least one good-sized cable, but small enough to make it useful for travel purposes.

It might also be nice if the mystery item had a hidden pocket for camera card media.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi mountain man,

i think a mini or small (padded, if you prefer) organizer pouch would hold your card reader and a small usb cable.

my card reader is different than yours, but this picture helps to illustrate how it might be carried in a mini clear organizer pouch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You think it will fit in there, hm?

Is there a good source for reliable retractable USB cables? I've never used anything but conventional (non-retractable) cables for years. It would be a real coup if I could find a quality retractable FireWire cable in 400 and 800 varieties.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    You think it will fit in there, hm?

Is there a good source for reliable retractable USB cables? I've never used anything but conventional (non-retractable) cables for years. It would be a real coup if I could find a quality retractable FireWire cable in 400 and 800 varieties.
    the only retractable cable i've used is a usb 2.0 one from belkin, and i've never had any issues with it.

see belkin's firewire cables and usb cables.

Thank you for the pointers.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    I've never used retractable FireWire cables, either, so the links to the Belkin devices that maverick posted are of interest. However, another option is simply to travel with shorter cables. This MacWorld article on cutting down cable clutter gave some links and options, as well as showing the Tom Bihn Clear organizer pouch that was used to carry them.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I've never used retractable FireWire cables, either, so the links to the Belkin devices that maverick posted are of interest. However, another option is simply to travel with shorter cables. This MacWorld article on cutting down cable clutter gave some links and options, as well as showing the Tom Bihn Clear organizer pouch that was used to carry them.

moriond
    hi moriond,

indeed, short cables definitely reduce the clutter! where appropriate, card readers with a usb connector built in are also nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0