Two bags, one back, what do you do?

I've posted on this before but I wanted to get some feedback. If you are traveling with two bags that can be worn as a backpack, how do you manage the bags?

In my case I just used my Aeronaut and I found this very comfortable worn as a backpack. But if my second bag was a Brain Bag or Smart Alec then I'd be stuck holding that traditional "backpack" in my hands. Probably not a huge deal but I find carrying a backpack annoying because it's not designed to function that way.

A possible solution is to NOT use the straps on the Aeronaut but a fully packed Aeronaut can be slightly hefty. Having that on a shoulder or in your hand could get annoying after a while too.

The other solution is to not take two bags that can be used as a backpack. This means having the second bag be a briefcase style or something of that sort. Or even going messenger style under the Aeronaut but that could get tangled.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    Or even going messenger style under the Aeronaut but that could get tangled.
    hi pretzelb,

this is the approach i've taken - an aeronaut as a backpack and a cafe bag worn across the front. you use the lifo (last in, first out) approach in handling the aeronaut and cafe bag. so if you put on the aeronaut and then the cafe bag, you first take off the cafe bag and then the aeronaut.

i can carry the aeronaut with the absolute shoulder strap, but prefer the backpack straps for extended carrying. the backpack straps distribute the weight more evenly.

My answer is dependent on two things:

1) Distance/time being nothing longer than an extended international airport concourse or an hour-long walk.

2) That you don't have breasts larger than a C-cup, as my wife pointed out.

If I was trying to get across an airport or such, I would carry the Aeronaut on my back and carry the Brainbag on my front, giving me access to it's pockets.

Would this be comfortable? Again, see #'s 1 & 2. But I've done it with two backpacks on trail hikes in the southern Nevada desert, so I know it's possible. Trying on my Brainbag just now, the handle brushes my beard as I look down, but I can get to all the pockets very easily.

Hope that helps.
    I've got a 2XXLT H. Brain Cell (fits my H-P HDX18t like a glove), a Sapphire/Black Brain Bag with a matching Snake Charmer, a 2XL Vertical Soft Cell, a Sapphire wallet, a Size 4 H. Brain Cell for my wife's laptop and... a school boy's crush on Darcy

BigMikeD your wife is very smart!

I cannot see myself carrying two backpacks, for the the Brain Bag/Large Cafe Bag pair is the best for plane travel.

The only reason I hesitate on the large cafe bag is because I just realized on my last trip that a backpack is really the best way to hike with stuff, even if it's just walking a flat trail or shopping. I was thinking of a backpack for my personal item to go along with the Aeronaut so when I reached my destination and needed to hike, I already had the backpack. Only snag is the time I have to lug both around as the Aeronaut most likely ends up on my back.

Google "portable luggage carts".

Some of these are made to slide into a carry-on. I'm looking to one to use for my next trip since I will be maxing out my EGO and it may be too heavy to strap on while roaming the airport.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I brought my Brain Bag and my Aeronaut when I traveled by plane last month. I wore the Brain Bag on my back and used an Absolute Shoulder Strap with the Aeronaut on my shoulder. This worked fine for me walking through the airport, but I think maybe I will try the Brain Bag worn in the front with the Aeronaut on my back if I have to carry them for a long distance.

pretzelb says: "The only reason I hesitate on the large cafe bag is because I just realized on my last trip that a backpack is really the best way to hike with stuff, even if it's just walking a flat trail or shopping."

That has crossed my mind as well.
    If I were to strap a Synapse in matching color to my Brain Bag could the pair still pass the carry-on size test?

As purse I would use the Small Cafe Bag at my destination, it would be rolled up in either the Synapse or Brain Bag or used as an inner bag inside the Synapse (if space allows)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    The only reason I hesitate on the large cafe bag is because I just realized on my last trip that a backpack is really the best way to hike with stuff, even if it's just walking a flat trail or shopping. I was thinking of a backpack for my personal item to go along with the Aeronaut so when I reached my destination and needed to hike, I already had the backpack. Only snag is the time I have to lug both around as the Aeronaut most likely ends up on my back.
    hi pretzelb,

i would have agreed that a backpack is better than a large cafe bag for hiking until i tried carrying the large cafe bag with its waist strap. if you try it this way, it's beautiful how the large cafe bag just becomes an extended part of your back.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0