Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By conversa

Thread: Question: Corded Zipper Pulls

Question: Corded Zipper Pulls

Here's a question for Corded Zipper Pulls users:

How do you use Corded Zipper Pulls from TB? Do you use them to replace the metal pulls on your Bihn bag? Do you supplement the metal pull (adding it to the metal pull)? Do you use the pulls on anything else, like clothing?

I just supplement the metal pull to reduce the noise.

Do you like the feel of the corded pulls better?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Do you like the feel of the corded pulls better?
    i prefer the feel of the corded pulls, but the metal ones aren't uncomfortable to handle.

Are there any particular compartments they work best on, or do you apply the corded pulls to every zipper on a bag?

I prefer corded zipper pulls in general. inspired by some eagle creek packing cubes, I rethreaded my cord zipper pulls to go through both holes of the metal pull (crisscrossed- see photo). it makes the cord pull even more perfect: shorter, quieter, and stiffer on the metal zipper pull. In the picture, the top zipper pull has the improved threading.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  175.3 KB

I added corded pulls to all of the zippers on my Areonaut and Check-Point Flyer using the crisscross method shown above. It reduced the jangling noise of the zippers by +80% and made the pulls much easier to grab in a hurry. I would add them to any bag with multiple zippers.

Brilliant! Now where did I put the pulls that came with my tristar? A few months ago there was a thread on how to cut off the metal pulls and replace them with the cord pulls....but I just could not bring myself to do that. I have seen the cross over method before, but apparently was suffering from tunnel vision. Thank you for the picture and waking me from my tunnel vision daze.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    Brilliant! Now where did I put the pulls that came with my tristar? A few months ago there was a thread on how to cut off the metal pulls and replace them with the cord pulls....but I just could not bring myself to do that. I have seen the cross over method before, but apparently was suffering from tunnel vision. Thank you for the picture and waking me from my tunnel vision daze.
    Update: this works great on 7 of the 11 zippers on a tristar. Unfortunately the 4 zippers on the front have a significantly longer zipper pull rendering the cord too short. Can anyone identify the weight of the cord and a potential source, REI maybe?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    Update: this works great on 7 of the 11 zippers on a tristar. Unfortunately the 4 zippers on the front have a significantly longer zipper pull rendering the cord too short. Can anyone identify the weight of the cord and a potential source, REI maybe?
    Source: us

We'll planning on sometime soon offering 5.2" cord for sale on the website, but we can send you some now no charge if you promise to post photos of it in use. Email your address to: customerservice@tombihn.com
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Source: us

We'll planning on sometime soon offering 5.2" cord for sale on the website, but we can send you some now no charge if you promise to post photos of it in use. Email your address to: customerservice@tombihn.com
    Thanks Darcy, I will follow up with CS and I will share photos.