Question: TB's super-backpacks

I would like to know if anyone on this forum uses any of the larger, multi-purpose Tom Bihn travel bags (Aeronaut, Western Flyer, or Tri-Star) as a backpack for outdoor activities such as hikes, sporting activities, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, or for outdoor work or volunteerism projects. Does anyone use these kinds of large bags for something in an outdoor setting, other than as travel luggage?

I have the Aeronaut and love it. I wouldn't use it for outdoor activities though. The backpack straps and bag are comfortable for short distances. For anything longer, a bag designed as a backpack like the Brain Bag would work much better.
    The smaller bags like the Western Flyer might be designed to be comfortable for hikes but I haven't tried one.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    mrae is exactly right: the Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Tri-Star are not designed for use as hiking packs. The backpack straps are designed to be comfortable for walking across the airport or walking to/taking public transport to your hotel after you reach your destination.

If you're looking for a day-hiking backpack, the Smart Alec and the soon-to-be-released Synapse are great.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0