Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nli
  • 2 Post By Miking

Thread: zipper pull silencer?

zipper pull silencer?

I know I can replace metal zipper pulls with the cords...but I'd rather keep the metal pulls.

There is a product made for silencing dog tags...is there something analogous for silencing zipper pulls?

My problem is just that cutting off metal pulls is so...final.

Volunteer Moderator

Silencing zipper pulls

Hi bagchick,
    Quote Originally Posted by bagchick View Post
    I know I can replace metal zipper pulls with the cords...but I'd rather keep the metal pulls.

There is a product made for silencing dog tags...is there something analogous for silencing zipper pulls?

My problem is just that cutting off metal pulls is so...final.
    This issue came up before in the forums. You might want to read the two threads:
    for suggestions on how to thread the cord zipper pulls through the metal to silence the zipper pulls (see, especially, photos in the second thread)

Well, silly me for not searching. I've gone through the forums from one end to the other, but I didn't have this purpose in mind when I did it.

I will consider adding some cord. I'm also thinking of trying painting on that stuff that's used as a rubbery grip on tool tips.

Thanks for the links.

Nli
    This "mold-able" silicon-type product is just the kind of stuff some of the especially creative types on this forum will love:
    sugru.com

Had a "voila!" moment this AM and I am ordering some more Sugru to silence my TB zippers so thought I would share with the forum.

((I mailed @moriond to ask how to advise you all because I usually cannot find things when I search but, for once, was successful))

I've used this product so far to repair a beloved pair of boots, exposed wire on expensive power bricks and a few other things. Very fun and useful stuff.

What method of travel are you using that requires zippers to not make noise? A rubber band around the zipper pull would quiet it probably.

I have found that just adding the provided cord pull through the zippers makes the quiet. Quiet enough for me at least.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

This is how I do mine, I often travel on band tour busses that have bunks for 12 people in roughly 120 square feet separated by only stiff fabric curtains so ninja-like stealthiness is paramount!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  264.5 KB

Here is the full thread that I originally posted that in. Lots of good ideas within.

Nli
    Certainly, and sadly, there is nothing Ninja or stealth-like in my life, nor anything like touring in busses with bands, she said wishfully. In general I am a very bullet-proof individual but something about the jingling zippers on my Aeronauts just "bugs" me, and on the SE also. Petty, minor stuff in comparison with how much I LOVE those bags, though! Yes, the pocket of cords that came with the SE helped tremendously and I love the way they look (knotted, no plastic pull). I was not as successful with the pulls on my Aeronauts, however, which were installed as Miking has shown above but without as much pizazz (just the black cord provided). We use the Aeronauts all the time and the pulls have all come off one at a time (plastic part eventually pulls away from the cord - I suspect I am doing something wrong - just cannot seem to cram the cord far enough down into the gripper I think). I have now reinstalled each of them sufficient times that the cords have become frayed and are no longer useful, to the point that I just ordered two new packs of pulls. If I can remember to order more sugru I will try it and post my results, and meanwhile try rubber bands as suggested above. Thanks all!

I think if you email or call in they will cut the cords a little bit longer for you. Some of the larger metal zipper pulls don't accommodate the cord with the plastic tab extremely well. I had trouble with one of my cord pulls coming off on a larger zipper.anaged to cram it back in and it is working for now.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0