Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    Luckily for me... 1. I am colorblind so brown always works, at least for me. 2. She doesn't do much in the bright color range, other than pink, which is the new black anyway.
    i thought brown was the new black?

Wink

Have you ever noticed that when we go shopping with "them," we all wind up in the same corner of the store holding their purses. And we all have that same look on our faces...."I could be home watching sports."

Why don't these stores ever put a few chairs around so we guys can at least sit down? We know it's going to be awhile.

One Nordstroms I was dragged into, I meant went into, had the right set up. As you walked into the women's changing area, there was a small lounge with a couch, a couple of easy chairs, a coffeetable, and a bunch of sports magazines. That day, I didn't mind shopping. (And better to prepare for the inevitable question..."Does this make me look fat?")

(Sorry, ladies, I neeeded a place to vent.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 05-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    i don't know if i'm the odd man out here, but i actually enjoy going shopping with "them." it's fun to pick out clothes and have them try them on.

nordstroms is indeed a very well outfitted store. you can see the attention to small details, just like you do in tom bihn bags. while i haven't been in one myself, i hear that the women's lounge in nordstroms is quite the experience.

as far as the question of "does this make me look fat?" they are never fat. if the designer royally screwed up in putting together an outfit, be sure you tell them that the outfit does not adequately capture and show how incredibly beautiful they are.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Have you ever noticed that when we go shopping with "them," we all wind up in the same corner of the store holding their purses. And we all have that same look on our faces...."I could be home watching sports."

Why don't these stores ever put a few chairs around so we guys can at least sit down? We know it's going to be awhile.

One Nordstroms I was dragged into, I meant went into, had the right set up. As you walked into the women's changing area, there was a small lounge with a couch, a couple of easy chairs, a coffee table, and a bunch of sports magazines. That day, I didn't mind shopping. (And better to prepare for the inevitable question..."Does this make me look fat?")

keb

Maverick obviously has a really good eye. Or a truly devoted and unbelievably tolerant partner.

I can live with the occasional shopping trip since my three daughters pretty much eliminated the whole watching sports thing a long time ago (the good news is, I can go a whole day of a major event and watch it on DVR because none of them will ever tell me what happened...) but my clothes suggestions are invariably met by eye rolls, peals of laughter, or outright horror.
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

One Nordstroms I was dragged into, I meant went into, had the right set up. As you walked into the women's changing area, there was a small lounge with a couch, a couple of easy chairs, a coffeetable, and a bunch of sports magazines. That day, I didn't mind shopping. (And better to prepare for the inevitable question..."Does this make me look fat?")

How about shopping for him.

My husband hates shopping for clothes, people have suggested online shopping but he is very particular about the fabric which must be smooth (some brand use different cotton quality from batch to batch) and
    sometimes, he nor I are sure of his size.
    Men's sizing is pretty much standard for pants but shirts are another matter.
    Making sense of all the choices among the endless shelves of khakis is not for the faint hearted.

He never shops with me because I only shop twice a year, for a couple of afternoons which I spend locked in the dressing room of the woman's department.
    I have to try on everything.
    The better half is in the electronic department, the video store, the food court or at home, playing with his computers.

Why bother him?

I get to buy Tom Bihn bags as a reward.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post

Maverick obviously has a really good eye. Or a truly devoted and unbelievably tolerant partner.
    tolerant, patient, and forgiving are all terms that come to mind .

i also enjoy going shopping for her. sometimes i pick winners, and other times they get returned.

Shopping for the spouse...

Since I actually started this thread - and it seems to have taken an odd turn - I feel compelled to come clean:

A. I never watch sports.
    B. I pick out about 90% of my wife's outfits. I usually walk into a store and see what I think matches my wife's tastes, or else ask the staff to suggest what's new and can mix-and-match into ensembles. She likes window shopping, but not trying them on.
    C. I cook, she does the baking.
    D. I have more computers than I can possibly use, and have more cameras and lens than hands. And I do drive her crazy when I use the remote. I am still a guy after all.

So... uh... any concensus on the man bag, murse , whatever? Maybe just try out a TB small cafe bag?

keb
    Oh that's right... I still have the same question. The large is too large. I guess the small cafe bag or the medium cafe bag in black in would probably be the thing to try. Having reviewed the photos a little more, I'm not sure it works too well above the academic conference level, where I am sure it would be perfect. The looks probably just aren't quite formal enough for a true business conference, but I think those lines are probably starting to blur.... Don't really know though...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Since I was the original troublemaker here just trying to bring a little levity to the group (and not realizing it was overrun with metrosexuals ), I'll weigh in on "manbags."

I hate the term. For work, I use a large messenger bag capable of carrying a full size computer (even though I now use a netbook) and other misc. stuff. It is horizontal, could pass for a briefcase if carried, as such, and only once did some neanderthal refer to it as a purse. The bag is black. (What bags others carry really depends on the type of work you do.)

What I'm looking for is a bag to take with me on my personal trips out of my home area (mostly international). I no longer want to use a backpack and find the messenger bag much more practical.

I believe the small cafe is too small for what I need and could be thought of as a purse. This left the medium and large. Both good sizes but I'm going with the medium because it fits better in the tri-star--which I'll start using once it arrives. (Both of the larger bags fit in the tri-star but for my packing methods, the medium is better.)

I've also narrowed the colors down to eiter black/steel or cocoa/olive. The latter similar (somewhat) to military colors. (Olive would also work but I'm not a big fan of green. Although if an olive/cocoa was offered it would be a third choice.)

Now I'm going over to one of the sports forums just to make sure my testosterone levels return to where they should be.

keb
    not a metrosexual, just a guy who just has too many females to whom he is legally obligated...

The only things I keep coming back to about its ability to formal up are the hardware and the logo actually. On the Empire Builder it is so clearly a b-a briefcase that the buckle doesn't matter, but on the smaller more casual bag these actually makes it look less like a business satchel and more like, well, a cafe bag... Having said that, I like the idea of the medium cafe bag in black and have been toying with the idea myself...

I have this idea for a smaller Ego that I may flesh out further as an official suggestion from the thread that maverick and I had bounced around before, but obviously it doesn't exist so isn't going to help you. Might do it this weekend...

Seriously, Keb, I think it matters as to what line of work you're in as to whether a cafe bag would pass muster--even in black. Banking, no. Academic or creative, yes to maybe.

My personal opinion is that a briefcase style bag (horizontal) would be more appropriate for many business situations than a vertical bag (like the cafe bag.)

It also has to do with age. Again, my belief, the older you are, horizontal is better for work.

Darker colors over bright ones.

It's also good to know what your contemporaries are carrying.

As far as leisure time, then a horizontal might be too formal and a vertical just fine. It just may be that you need two separate bags. That's what I'm going to do.

keb
    Seriously, Keb, I think it matters as to what line of work you're in as to whether a cafe bag would pass muster--even in black. Banking, no. Academic or creative, yes to maybe.

My personal opinion is that a briefcase style bag (horizontal) would be more appropriate for many business situations than a vertical bag (like the cafe bag.)

It also has to do with age. Again, my belief, the older you are, horizontal is better for work.

Darker colors over bright ones.

It's also good to know what your contemporaries are carrying.

As far as leisure time, then a horizontal might be too formal and a vertical just fine. It just may be that you need two separate bags. That's what I'm going to do.
    agree completely.

Has anybody looked at...

... this one from Waterfield?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.htm

Looks nice, and I would consider the smaller sized one, but it doesn't look like the flap actually closes, unless there's a magnet under the leather.

oh my my. did not see this thread until now. Seems like many of the "men" here are having crises--over purses and sexual orientation! I feel compelled to speak up in more ways than one...having watched various men over the years have stuff fall out of their various pockets--given newer bigger fobs for car keys, and pdas and ipods and more and more keys...and sorry guys: but most times, I get dumped with all the extras in my bag cos they won't carry any..I end up carrying stuff for all my friends. And as for "metrosexuals"--hmmmm.maybe I will hold my peace on that one.

Another good option is a bag made by The Territory Ahead <theterritoryahead.com> which sells for $100 and is well designed; and has a great look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0