Checkpoint Flyer question

Hi all, for those of you who has the CF, can you tell me how the bag works WITHOUT the laptop compartment? There will be time when I would want to leave the computer at the hotel and use the CF as a messenger bag to carry a DSRL camera, a water bottle and other miscellaneous items. I am just wondering if the bag will hold its shape without the laptop compartment. Thanks.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I think it'll work great without the laptop case. It won't lose its shape at all. It won't be as thick, but the same general shape will be there.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I think it'll work great without the laptop case. It won't lose its shape at all. It won't be as thick, but the same general shape will be there.
    Thanks Darcy, for the quick reply. Would the upcoming camera insert be made for the CF?

Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I carried it that way (without the laptop) for a couple of days around town (at home) and it was wonderful!!!!

Super Moderator
    I used it without a *laptop* (but kept the laptop compartment in place) for a weekend side trip to Jordan when I visited Israel. I considered taking off the laptop pouch, found it worked fine that way, but I used the extra space of the laptop case a) to carry some breakable items and b) as a "slush fund" for space inside -- stuffed dirty socks etc. in there for the return trip. I thought about using it to keep travel documents, so they'd be in what I think is the least accessible part of the bag to casual thieves, but didn't do this, partly because travel in that part of the world means showing these so often that I decided it would be more trouble than it would provide peace of mind.

In hindsight, the slimmer profile of not having the laptop compartment might have been better, but I was happy at the time with it mostly empty but usable.

timothy

I often carry my CF without the laptop on short jaunts to dinner or whatnot while on the road. It works just great for me that way.
    Jim Hall
    Check out the dogs in need at http://www.saveoursetters.org
    Check out my blog at http://jehingr.wordpress.com/
    Check out our videos at www.marqueewrestling.com
    My TB bags: 2 - Empire Builder 1 - Checkpoint Flyer

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ltsching View Post
    Thanks Darcy, for the quick reply. Would the upcoming camera insert be made for the CF?
    Yes, it will fit, but it won't clip in because the Checkpoint Flyer doesn't have Annex Clips.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0