Waist straps, quick adjust buckles and oddities

Hello all:
    I just got the Imago; I love the size and the thoughtful design.
    I am baffled by the following --considering how much thought and care goes into TB bags:

1. why is the waist strap so narrow? a 2inch strap would be so much better and snugger around the waist..similar to the one that buckles up front. This one tends to cut.

2. I like the idea of quick release strap adjustments --so it is easier to adjust the length of the shoulder strap on the fly and make adjustments. It seems odd that this requires threading/unthreading.

3. I still think all shoulder bags should have D ring attachments as standard so we can switch out shoulder straps as needed --either for weight or the length of time we are carrying it.

thanks
    shiva

Super Moderator
    I've tried on an Aeronaut, and feel convinced that it would be just fine (and more), but a friend of mine -- a real world traveling adventurous one-bagger, too, not just an armchair quarterback -- was very turned off by the lack of a waist strap on the Aeronaut. She travels with a more traditional internal frame back, equipped with a very padded waist strap, and from my mild backpacking experience, I can see why that's an advantage. (She did like the quality of my Bihn bags generally, though.)

One bag can't be all things to all people, but the option (is it possible as an option?) of a thick, padded, grippy waist strap would make the Aeronaut even better. (On the Super Ego, perhaps partly because of the type of load vs. length of trip it sees, the QAM strap seems just right, though the waist strap is not huge.)

timothy

Volunteer Moderator
    timothy,

Re: your backpacking friend - I think TB bags aren't really designed for the serious backpacker - they have their own bags - but! TB bags are perfect for those who want a little less than hardcore backpacking and a little less than pure business. It's the middle ground, really. I remember reading somewhere (here? Onebag?) that some places actually don't welcome backpackers or anyone that looks like a backpacker - that's where a TB bag would come in. Wouldn't quite look like a typical backpacker's bag. And could definitely pass as a business traveler's bag.

Super Moderator
    Just:

My pal is (at times) an actual *backpacker* (as in, tent, and all the water she can carry, etc), but she's also a more general traveler. Being small of frame, but needing to carry about as much stuff as middle-size and bigger people, she says the waist band is where she wants the weight, not her back / shoulders. Even a small one helps (so I'm glad for the -- as I understand it -- upcoming / available Aeronaut waist strap), but I know on my big camping backpack, I cinch the fat, conforming waist strap down so my back is just a directional support, basically, and the *weight* is all hitched to my hips.

Everything's a compromise, but I'd sure like a squarish (not camping-style) travel backpack that nonetheless takes more weight-bearing cues from camping backpacks. (Just like I'd like racing-style seatbelts in my non-racing car -- they just look smart as a feature, easy to cannibalize.) Esp. if there was a hip-belt that could be easily detached so it doesn't hinder overhead storage.

timothy
    Last edited by timothy; 05-07-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Shiva,
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Hello all:
    I just got the Imago; I love the size and the thoughtful design.
    I am baffled by the following --considering how much thought and care goes into TB bags:

1. why is the waist strap so narrow? a 2inch strap would be so much better and snugger around the waist..similar to the one that buckles up front. This one tends to cut.

2. I like the idea of quick release strap adjustments --so it is easier to adjust the length of the shoulder strap on the fly and make adjustments. It seems odd that this requires threading/unthreading.

3. I still think all shoulder bags should have D ring attachments as standard so we can switch out shoulder straps as needed --either for weight or the length of time we are carrying it.

thanks
    shiva
    My personal take on the Imago is that I prefer to use this with the Quick-Adjust Messenger strap. It's a quick-release solution, but uses the broad, padded strap that is more comfortable even if I'm not carrying the bag high on my back. It also gives better balance with the waist strap connector (see the picture on the product page). On every bag I've had that came with a regular strap (e.g., the earlier model ID bag, the first release Imago, and the Ristretto) I've always wanted to replace that strap with either the Absolute Shoulder Strap or the Quick-Adjust Messenger strap, because I find those straps to be much more comforatable. It's my main criticism of the small and medium-sized cafe bags, though I admit the current Absolute Shoulder Strap is a bit of overkill for these bags, and I know that I could switch straps with the Absolute Shoulder Strap on my Ristretto. Maverick started a thread suggesting a mini-Absolute shoulder strap for these bags.

moriond

Hello all:
    thanks for the suggestions. Yes: I agree that TB is not meant to be a "real backpack," but I think it would be helpful to have slightly wider waist belts for stability...much like Timbuk2 has, or even Crumpler etc., It is not going to make it look any the less "professional," although the gatekeeper clips might be a problem. I don't know.

The QAM strap is a thought...although like many others have posted on here, it seems a shame that TB bags will not come with Drings on all of them..and that QAM is not thrown in as part of the cost. Most companies, including Waterfield Designs--which are made locally do throw in a better strap as part of the cost.

Maybe TB or Darcy would reconsider some of this?

thanks
    shiva

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    The QAM strap is a thought...although like many others have posted on here, it seems a shame that TB bags will not come with Drings on all of them..and that QAM is not thrown in as part of the cost. Most companies, including Waterfield Designs--which are made locally do throw in a better strap as part of the cost.

Maybe TB or Darcy would reconsider some of this?

thanks
    shiva
    a messenger bag has straps that are adjusted differently than a bag that has d-rings. it isn't that one is better than the other - it's just a difference in design.

we have a choice of messenger style bags that do not have d-rings, like the ego, super ego, id and imago.

we also have a choice of bags with d-rings, like the zephyr and empire builder.

likewise, we have a choice of straps.

take for example the id messenger bag. there is a standard shoulder strap included, and many people like the standard strap very much. some prefer the q-am shoulder strap and can choose that instead. other prefer the absolute shoulder strap and can opt for that. it is nice to have options.

there is a cost associated with each component.

to include the q-am shoulder strap or absolute shoulder strap as the base strap and increase the cost of the product to include that component isn't fair to those who would do just as well with the standard shoulder strap.

likewise, we have the choice to purchase a bag without a strap. we may have the zephyr and aeronaut, and have just one absolute shoulder strap that we move between the two bags if we don't plan to use the two bags at the same time.
    Last edited by maverick; 05-08-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    -m

keb
    I have two Absolute Straps. One for my Empire Builder and one for my Western Flyer. I was happy not to have to pay more $ for another Absolute strap (or a little extra for a lesser strap) with my Aeronaut, since it is doubtful I will ever use all three bags at the same time...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

I agree with the choice of straps for each purchase.

I originally bought a Simple Strap for a Large Cafe Bag but found that I needed to upgrade to the Absolute Strap.

I actually used the Absolute Strap bought for my Aeronaute and Monolith (the Brain Cell ancestor) , I installed the strap without removing the clips and decided that it was much more comfortable than the Simple Strap.
    I then removed the clips as they were too heavy and useless in a strap bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0