Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aeronaut Vs Tristar pros and cons?

I am on the fence between these two.
    I will be traveling to Europe in the Fall for about 3 weeks. I am concerned I will be forced to check my Aeornaut on one of my flights while in Europe based on their restrictions. In fact I may even have to check the Tristar because they don't allow a personal item (my camera messanger bag) so I probably will have to check regardless.

I like the design of the tristar and the various compartments and I like the Areonaut because I think it might just have a tad more space and be easier to pack for a three week trip

I am on the fence on which to purchase.

What are the pros and cons of both?

I went with the Tristar because of the European restrictions. I can fit my messenger/daybag into the center section of the Tristar allowing me to have only one bag to carry-on.

When I looked at everything I take on a trip, I just couldn't make the Aeronaut design work for me. The Tristar, however, is perfect for my needs.

I had looked at another bag similar to the Tristar but hesitated because it lacked backpack straps. While I'm only going to use these occasionally, they are still nice to have. And with the addition of a waist strap, I may use it in the backpack mode more often.

My suggestion would be to make a list of everything you want to take and then see which bag would be easier for you to pack and utilize. BTW....just because a bag is bigger doesn't mean that's better. Yes, you can take more, but do you really need to?

BTW--your screen name is the same as I see on another travel board run by a company also in the Seattle area. Be careful mentioning these bags there. I did once and people went bonkers when they heard the prices. The $30 bag people foam at the mouth.
    Last edited by Frank II; 05-07-2009 at 10:42 AM.

good points....I guess I would like to know what the dimensions of each compartment is on the tristar as that would help in making my decision.
    I just doubt I could fit my camera messenger bag in the middle compartment.

I can pack pretty light, footwear is always my downfall.

I am currently thinking:

one pair of dress pants
    one dress shirt, maybe two

3 t shirts
    2 long sleeve shirts
    1 cargo pants
    1 light linen pants
    1 hoodie
    5 pair underwear/socks
    1 pair of dressy shoes
    1 pair of pumas (pack easily)
    small toiletry kit (very basic, all tsa approved shave cream, moisturizer, gel, toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, a few band aids, tide pen, tylenol,)

I will wear my jacket, jeans, t shirt and heavier shoes

Hi,

I have also done a bit of wavering between the Aeronaut and Tri-Star.

I do have the Tri-Star on order, but I have wondered (a bit) about adding an Aeronaut to the order and comparing them in person.

One of the reviews linked from the TB blog had comments from readers and one noted what seemed to be smaller measurements than noted for the Aeronaut (listed as 22x14x9).

It just makes me wonder, though even if the Aeronaut were a bit "smaller" in person, maybe it would be still too big (for my tastes, anyway).

Anyone have both on order to compare?

I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    Scotlib wrote: "I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)"

Now *that* would be a good use for (my favorite bag name so far) "the Starlite."

timothy

bluedenim, it would be best for you to find out which airline you are going to fly in the fall.
    Try to do carry-on only.

Reviews about European airlines are no more enthusiastic that the ones about U.S airlines.

I might have to use a skydoo and ice breaker combo to get to Europe.

I have heard they have cruises from the U.S to Europe now.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Reviews about European airlines are no more enthusiastic that the ones about U.S airlines.
    Hi,

I can offer one positive review ;-)

I used Virgin Atlantic to fly home from London and absolutely loved the experience: friendly staff, the meal was fine but the snacks (ice cream bar, cookie, brownie, mint) were great, and lots! of leg room for economy, I thought. Details: I am 5'6", YMMV. If I had the $ I would try the premium economy, those seats looked great!

Only issue was VA's 13 lb limit for carry-on. It absolutely makes no sense for a 22x14x9 bag when you max the weight far before the room in the bag (thus, one reason for my quest for a thoughtfully designed, smaller bag, and light on weight for the bag itself would be a "pro").

Hi all:
    I think the Western Flyer is a good option actually. You can fit all of your clothes listed above in there; and no matter how fully packed it just looks like a larger laptop bag. And I would put the camera stuff in the WF, and put some of the toiletries and other things in a small Imago or something and take it on board....just a thought. I have found it easy to take a small messenger bag on board provided it is not SEEN as a camera bag, or a laptop bag!

Sorry to continue the off topic.
    What kind of airliner were you on?
    Do you know of a website which rate airlines besides epinions?

I second the Western Flyer idea based on the way it looks on the male model which I assume is Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post
    Hi,

I can offer one positive review ;-)

I used Virgin Atlantic to fly home from London and absolutely loved the experience: friendly staff, the meal was fine but the snacks (ice cream bar, cookie, brownie, mint) were great, and lots! of leg room for economy, I thought. Details: I am 5'6", YMMV. If I had the $ I would try the premium economy, those seats looked great!

Only issue was VA's 13 lb limit for carry-on. It absolutely makes no sense for a 22x14x9 bag when you max the weight far before the room in the bag (thus, one reason for my quest for a thoughtfully designed, smaller bag, and light on weight for the bag itself would be a "pro").

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Sorry to continue the off topic.
    What kind of airliner were you on?
    Do you know of a website which rate airlines besides epinions?

I second the Western Flyer idea based on the way it looks on the male model which I assume is Tom.
    I'm sorry, backpack .. if you're going in the direction that a cross-Atlantic flight likely would not give a same experience as an European intercity flight, true.

I had better stick with what I know exactly .. the flight over on a Northwest 757 was not nearly as comfortable nor worth telling anyone anything as the flight back with VA's 747.

Hmm, I have done some short European domestic flights: British Airways from LHR to EDI and back, and this year from AMS to EDI with KLM (all the letters :-) Each BA flight was on an Airbus, I think, very comfortable compared to almost any US domestic flight I ever have had in a Boeing. I do not know what type KLM flew but again more comfortable, actually, than my typical remembrance of a US domestic, I think, except for some on Southwest.

I have flights with Aer Lingus this coming July. I certainly have read some foaming-at-the-mouth angry reviews of that airline, so it could be interesting ...

For reviews, I type the name of the company and +review or +opinion into Google and just find whatever is out there.

Cough, okay, back to the thread and its idea of bag size.

I find it difficult to tell someone how much should fit in what space. A petite person's clothes are so different by width and/or height, for example, from my plus-size requirements or my 6'2" son's.
    Last edited by scotlib; 05-07-2009 at 05:56 PM.

This website has loads of ratings, information, and reviews on airlines:
    www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/ranking.htm

A lot of the reviews will tell you about the reviewer's experiences on specific flights--very useful if you are comparing a couple of long haul options.

As for the question about the Aeronaut versus the Tristar--they are such different bags that it depends on how you pack and what you are taking. The Aeronaut's granpappy is a duffle bag, whereas the Tristar's granpappy is a suitcase. You can get a lot more (both volume and weight) in an Aeronaut, and its sides are much more forgiving of oddly shaped items. For me, the Aeronaut is too big to comfortably tote, whereas the Tristar is just about right. My Tristar is currently being anxiously awaited. I know that I will also eventually get one of the slimmed down Aeronauts when it gets made, though. Different kinds of travel demand different kinds of bags...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

well my intereurope flight will be on jet2.com and they have a limit of one item maxium 19 inches....so I am sure the areonaut will be forced to checked.
    I think I could get away with the tristar but I am just not sure I could put my camera equipment in it along with my clothes so I might be forced to check it as well.
    the rest of the trip is fine with BA and train.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Scotlib wrote: "I asked about the size of the Aeronaut in people's closets on another thread, too, and I just read a reply that has me deciding I will stick with just the Tri-Star for now, though I would certainly love to read any message from Darcy about a bag along the idea of a "slender Aeronaut" (a 20x13(or14)x8 Aeronaut) :-)"

Now *that* would be a good use for (my favorite bag name so far) "the Starlite."

timothy
    I'm waiting for it too but I think a better name would be "Nauttie" ..*chuckles*

Super Moderator

Or ...

"I'm waiting for it too but I think a better name would be "Nauttie" ..*chuckles* "
    Now, hold on a minute: what about the "Notfornaut"?

timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0