Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: tom bihn museum?

Volunteer Moderator

tom bihn "messenger bag" on ebay

hi folks,

i came across this tom bihn messenger bag on ebay.

the seller says that it is a "medium" size, but the 12" x 13" dimensions sound like it would be about the size of a large cafe bag. the differences is that the large cafe bag has organizer pockets that this messenger bag does not have.

tom, darcy,

do you know about when this bag may have been made?

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    eWalker likes this.
    -m

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)

Smile

The proportions make it look like a medium Cafe to me; probably made in the late 90's judging from the label.

FYI, I changed the name of the company to "Black Bag" after getting tired of hearing my name everywhere (everywhere = everywhere in Santa Cruz, California). Sales dropped: people didn't feel like Black Bag meant anything. So I changed back to Tom Bihn. I figured if I got tired of the notoriety again I'd just change my name.
    I'd probably change it to Eddie Bauer
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Tom,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    FYI, I changed the name of the company to "Black Bag" after getting tired of hearing my name everywhere (everywhere = everywhere in Santa Cruz, California). Sales dropped: people didn't feel like Black Bag meant anything. So I changed back to Tom Bihn. I figured if I got tired of the notoriety again I'd just change my name.
    Yes, the "everywhere = everywhere in Santa Cruz, California" does seem to be true. Just a couple of months ago someone I know noted "You're carrying a Tom Bihn bag -- I was just browsing their web site today. I used to see their bags all the time when I was a student in Santa Cruz."

Cheers,

moriond

P.S. You have name brand recognition, and "Tom" sounds much more euphonious than "Eddie" (apologies in advance to any forum readers named Eddie.)
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The proportions make it look like a medium Cafe to me; probably made in the late 90's judging from the label.

that looks really nice for a 10 year old bag!

i'm glad you tried changing the company name to "Black Bag" rather than changing your name to "Black Bag!"

eWalker likes this.
    -m

It was very interesting to see this thread since I just joined this site! I love learning about the history of companies and seeing how product has evolved over time.

I'm thinking it was better to discover TB now because with that big logo on that messenger bag above that would have pretty much turned me off to trying the product. I very rarely advertise for any company. I'm kind of stuck with my shoe advertising but my pants or skirts cover up the logo "S" on the shoe. Darned comfortable shoes I may add which is important for my overall general health.

So I see with the messenger/cafe bags the clasp is to the side, I'm curious as to why that is? I must be missing something because pretty much everyone else centers the closing mechanism. I'd have to say I prefer it that way but am going to give a cafe bag a go of it. I pretty much carry my bags across my shoulder and to the front of me so I am not worried about someone reaching into my bag. Also with the clasp to the side it seems slight curling of the one side of the bag would become evident over time. It looks like the cafe bags were designed to specifically cut down on that issue but I suppose experience is the best judge of that. I'm the type who thinks things through before purchasing so I can manage my needs efficiently though.

I should of become an efficiency expert
    Last edited by katiya; 06-09-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: because an efficient person checks spelling before hitting send!
    eWalker likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katiya View Post
    So I see with the messenger/cafe bags the clasp is to the side, I'm curious as to why that is? I must be missing something because pretty much everyone else centers the closing mechanism. I'd have to say I prefer it that way but am going to give a cafe bag a go of it. I pretty much carry my bags across my shoulder and to the front of me so I am not worried about someone reaching into my bag. Also with the clasp to the side it seems slight curling of the one side of the bag would become evident over time. It looks like the cafe bags were designed to specifically cut down on that issue but I suppose experience is the best judge of that. I'm the type who thinks things through before purchasing so I can manage my needs efficiently though.
    The off-center buckle is part of the design of the bag - personally, I love the lines it creates. It doesn't cause curling of the flap - not that we've ever seen in 10+ years.
    eWalker likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

My TB bag from the early 90s has the buckle off to the side like that. In fact, my bag looks a lot like the one pictured (DH has a green one that's the same design) though I can't tell scale all that well. Mine's a small, I think.

Even that early on, the bag is lined in a light color to make it easy to locate things in the bag - in my case a pale gray. The interior pockets are a little different than my recent medium café bag, but there's much that's the same. Great quality, of course.
    eWalker likes this.

Thanks for the reply Darcy and maverick let me know about the store being open this upcoming Tuesday from 3-6pm. I'll be there to make my decisions then on the cafe bags, side effects and a grocery bag or two.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by katiya View Post
    It was very interesting to see this thread since I just joined this site! I love learning about the history of companies and seeing how product has evolved over time.
    I agree!

I am dedicating a great deal of time browsing the old Forumīs posts and there is one thing I always miss and would love to see, a timeline of Tom Bihnīs bags and milestones (new materials adoption, for example)!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0