keb

Packing Cubes Q & A--

Has anyone been mixing and matching packing cubes between the Aeronaut and the Western Flyer, and planning to with the Tri-Star? As much as I love getting stuff, at some point the $ do become a consideration. For example, my two absolute shoulder straps will cover me for any combination of two of those three bags or my Empire Builder, and my Brain Cell will also fit in everything. I already have 1 large and 2 small packing cubes for the Western Flyer. I know that it is optimal to have the packing cubes designed for the specific bags. However, if, let's say, I end up with a Bihn for all occasions, do you think it will be necessary to have complete separate sets of packing cubes for each bag or is there efficient overlap?

If there is an efficient combination of packing cubes to use for all three bags, what do you think it is?
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I personally think it's fine to use Western Flyer Packing Cubes in the Tri-Star, or Western Flyer Packing Cubes in the Aeronaut, as long as you are aware they won't fit as nicely as the Packing Cubes designed specifically for the Tri-Star.

If we could make one set of sizes of Packing Cubes that would fully utilize the space in all three travel bags (Aeronaut, Western Flyer, Tri-Star), we gladly would. Less complication the better. But we know that many of you want to utilize the space inside of your "one bag" as best as possible, so that's why there are Packing Cubes sized specifically for each bag.

If you want to get the Tri-Star but aren't sure if you want the Packing Cubes, my advice would be to get the Tri-Star, skip the Packing Cubes, and try using your Aeronaut or Western Flyer Packing Cubes in the bag. You also might want to try using the compression/tie-down straps in the back compartment of the Tri-Star instead of a Packing Cube. You always have the option of buying the Tri-Star Packing Cubes later should you decide you want/need them - they aren't going anywhere!

I'll ask Tom what he thinks the most efficient combination of Western Flyer/Aeronaut Packing Cubes for the Tri-Star is...
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

keb
    As usual, you are the best. I checked the dimensions and they are all just slightly different. It is most likely that I will end up with an Aeronaut before the Tri-Star, possibly out of your next batch. I think the Western Flyer to TriStar cube conversion is probably easier. How about the Aeronaut? That seems a little more tricky, since it seems like you could end up with some pretty dead space in those end compartments and the main cave, though I guess you could get a couple of end compartment packing cubes and combine them with the large and small cubes from the Western Flyer. I don't want to put too much burden on Tom, I know he is in the business of making stuff for people to buy. These are fantastic products and obviously needs can be adjusted later. I am just curious to see if I can avoid redundancy if possible (so I can buy other cool stuff like the Side Effect instead!)
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar)

I plan to take my filled Western Flyer packing cubes with my on a field trip to the showroom this week with the avowed purpose of seeing how they work in the Tristar...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

keb
    looking forward to the info.... if you get a chance to see how they work in the Aeronaut too that would be great. I am sure they will fit and it just becomes a question of how awkward the remaining space is... My initial impression from the dimensions is that a fully packed WF cube may be a little thick for the TriStar compartments, but would probably fit. If you carry a laptop, I would try the cubes with a Brain Cell clipped into the middle compartment. I know in the WF the stiffness of the laptop does change the pliability of the front compartment and puts more pressure on the items in those front pockets...

So...I loaded up my three Western Flyer packing cubes full of clothing and headed down to the Tom Bihn showroom to play with the Tristar. (And, slightly off topic, but it is a fine, fine bag...) The large packing cube fits perfectly in either the front or back section with the divider unzipped--as long as you don't overstuff it. These sections are a bit shallower than on the Western Flyer, so you can't stuff the packing cubes to bulging. Two mediums also fit side by side in either one (with the divider zipped out of the way on the divided section.) When I put the large packing cube in the center section, there was a good bit of room left over at the top--about four inches I'd estimate. I think that is because the packing cube shifts down a bit if not overstuffed. You could easily get a pair of shoes across the top of it in that center section, though.

Bottom line--I know the packing cubes are designed specifically for each bag, but you could easily use the Western Flyer cubes in the Tristar and not waste any space at all.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

keb
    sounds pretty much like i would expect. thanks for the info...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0