Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Swift Shoulder Strap

Swift Shoulder Strap

I'm a knitter and would love to order a Swift, but I realized that the thing holding me back is that it doesn't have a shoulder strap. The handles are fine, but I really like to sling my bags over my shoulder (and for some of us on the larger size, there is the question of, will the handles really fit over clothing and perhaps a coat as well). Is there a way a shoulder strap could be clipped onto the Swift as is, or is there a way to customize it so one could be added?

I'm a large woman as well and have NO problem with the handles. There is plenty of clearance. There is a slight curve/dip along the top edge of the bag that really helps give plenty of room for your arm and shoulder to fit through and keeps the bag comfortable. All winter I wear layers of sweaters and coats and wraps and the bag still fits on my shoulder. There's also enough clearance that I can pick the bag up with one hand and put it over my shoulder.

See blog post here for photos: http://indigodragonfly.wordpress.com/tag/tom-bihn/ In this post, I'm wearing a heavy sweater and a fall jacket...still LOTS of room.

I'm an average size gal, but I've had no trouble using my Swift on my shoulder even with the bulkiest of winter coats.
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Thanks for your feedback indigo & Heidi Jill. The photo of indigo and her Swift is very helpful in seeing the generous fit of the handles. Now if you could only help me choose my Swift: so many cool color combos, and now they've gone and added the spectacular cork Swift! What's a woman to do? (I know, I know - get more than one!)

Hee hee hee...definitely can't complain about LACK of colours! Though if there's a combo that really catches your eye GRAB it NOW! I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Cocoa/Plum swift when I had the chance.

I really, really want to second the request for either a true shoulder strap or a set of rings for attaching same. All large people are not large in the same dimensions, alas, and my personal ones are too large to comfortably shoulder carry the bag as it exists. I almost sent it back on those grounds but decided that since I'd be using it for larger projects rather than as a daily carry bag I'd work around not having the shoulder straps. It is SO nicely designed otherwise, after all--but if the design ever changes to encompass the shoulder carry I'll be even happier (and buy some more of them!)

For the aforementioned daily knitting-at-bus-stop stuff? I usually carry a sock or scarf project tucked into an internal stuff bag that hangs from the key loop in my indispensible Large Cafe. I'm already using an Organizer Pouch for accessories, so I just need to replace said internal stuff bag with a Bihn Yarn Stuff Sack to achieve Total Knitting Bag Consistency

Volunteer Moderator
    I seem to remember someone mentioning using the o-rings in the Swift to clip a shoulder strap, but I can't find the thread/post... Was it just my imagination? I'm thinking the light webbing shoulder strap that comes with the Side Effect would work as a makeshift shoulder strap for the Swift/Little Swift if it was ever necessary (the scenario that comes to mind is riding a bike).

In my mind I'm sure TB doesn't recommend it as that's not what the o-rings were designed for, though...

I did the clipping to the O rings while I was in England. It worked, but even with having to hold the bag on my shoulder, the straps were less hassle. There was one hike where I closed the bag and wore it like a backpack with one arm through each handle.

My Swift and I have never quite seen eye to eye on the strap issue. I carry it because it works so well, but I have a velcro loop on the shoulder strap of my Aeronaut to keep it in place while I'm traveling (and I put the sternum strap through the handles). If I'm wearing my winter coat, I just have to carry it in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    I seem to remember someone mentioning using the o-rings in the Swift to clip a shoulder strap, but I can't find the thread/post... Was it just my imagination? I'm thinking the light webbing shoulder strap that comes with the Side Effect would work as a makeshift shoulder strap for the Swift/Little Swift if it was ever necessary (the scenario that comes to mind is riding a bike).

In my mind I'm sure TB doesn't recommend it as that's not what the o-rings were designed for, though...
    The O-Rings look the same in the Side Effects and the Swift but the webbing might be a slightly different grade.

Little Swifts are in the Wish List and I might use a minimal Shoulder Strap with them if they were holding very little. But I don't think it is a good idea for the Swift which I would also not wear on a bike ride.

However, it would be a great bag to place on a back cycle rack or a front wire basket.
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The O-Rings look the same in the Side Effects and the Swift but the webbing might be a slightly different grade.

Little Swifts are in the Wish List and I might use a minimal Shoulder Strap with them if they were holding very little. But I don't think it is a good idea for the Swift which I would also not wear on a bike ride.

However, it would be a great bag to place on a back cycle rack or a front wire basket.
    A Swift and Little Swift can also become a LOT heavier than a Side Effect (I know my Little Swift gets heavy sometimes). I wouldn't recommend it for either bag.

Plus, how awesome looking are the wire baskets on the front of bikes?
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Katy, that's pretty much what I figured. But sometimes the bike you rent turns out to be naked, or you decide to hike up a mountain on the fly...

I wonder about clipping an Absolute strap to the poron handles too

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    A Swift and Little Swift can also become a LOT heavier than a Side Effect (I know my Little Swift gets heavy sometimes). I wouldn't recommend it for either bag.

Plus, how awesome looking are the wire baskets on the front of bikes?
    Before replying, I happened to see a picture of stylish woman riding with a beautiful square wire silver color basket on the front.
    My first thought was "What a great place for a TB bag" and the second was "What a great place for a mini size dog to go for a ride in".

You all have me trained at Tom Bihn Inc!

I work at TOM BIHN
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Before replying, I happened to see a picture of stylish woman riding with a beautiful square wire silver color basket on the front.
    My first thought was "What a great place for a TB bag" and the second was "What a great place for a mini size dog to go for a ride in".

You all have me trained at Tom Bihn Inc!
    Or both! I love a nice basket on the handlebars of a bike! Those rear frame racks can be quite useful as well, but you'll need bungees or panniers to carry pretty much anything.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Or both! I love a nice basket on the handlebars of a bike! Those rear frame racks can be quite useful as well, but you'll need bungees or panniers to carry pretty much anything.
    All the bikes I ever owned were fitted with rear frame racks. I used and still use bungees to secure things on.

A Small Cafe Bag with the waist trap fastened is the perfect biking bag. An empty, Large Shop Bag can be carried on top of the rack, securely fastened with bungees and refastened when filled with things.

My bungee fastening technique is: redundancy and pre-riding test.

I only had panniers in my first two wheeler child bike, they were very cute. However, adult panniers are heavy by themselves, making them annoying.
    If Tom decided to make some out of Dynnema, that would be great.

In the meantime, a Shop Bag or a Synapse securely fastened are much more handy.
    dorayme likes this.

Backpack, would you be so kind as to shaw pictures with us of your TB bike setup?
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0