Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    147

    Question about the absolute strap

    I was wondering if the absolute strap is interchangeable between bags. I already have one for my Aeronaut, and I have one ordered along with my cafe bag. Some day (soon!) I will also want an Imago. When I order that Imago, will the Absolute straps I already have go on it? In the picture, it looks like the simple strap is attached (not removable). I really can't justify more than 2 absolute straps!

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,295
    hi MsMoon,

    yes, the absolute straps can easily be moved between bags.

    there is a video coming soon on how you can move your absolute shoulder strap between bags that have d-rings and messenger bags. hopefully tomorrow!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    147
    Awesome, thanks!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    463
    I thought we could not switch out the absolute shoulder strap on the Imago without a "special attachment" for the Imago? Maybe I am wrong, but when I was in Seattle that was one of my questions. They said I would have to request a "slider" or attachment that converts the Imago to a "d ring." Tom said that he does not always have D rings on his bags-which feels counter-intuitive--cos of the way straps hang off of d rings. So let me know!

  5. #5
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,295
    if i am not mistaken, the imago has a toothed slide which will take the absolute shoulder strap.

    now, as per the product page for the absolute shoulder strap: if you order the absolute shoulder strap with the imago or other messenger bag, the hardware required to attach the absolute shoulder strap to bags that have d-rings (snaphooks and slides) are not included.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I thought we could not switch out the absolute shoulder strap on the Imago without a "special attachment" for the Imago? Maybe I am wrong, but when I was in Seattle that was one of my questions. They said I would have to request a "slider" or attachment that converts the Imago to a "d ring." Tom said that he does not always have D rings on his bags-which feels counter-intuitive--cos of the way straps hang off of d rings. So let me know!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,773
    When I ordered my first Cafe Bag I bought it with a Simple Strap.

    I had bought an Absolute Strap by itself, hence with the slide and clip hardware to clip on my Monolith (the Brain Cell Ancestor) and other O ring Tom Bihn bags.

    After some time using the Simple Strap with a full Large Cafe Bag, and discovering that I was too chicken to use the Monolith outside my Brain Bag, I asked Darcy how to remove the hardware on the stand alone Absolute Strap to fit it to my Large Cafe Bag.

    I did and it works really well, I have been using it for a couple of years.

    I got my most recent Large Cafe Bag with the Absolute Strap installed and the next one will have one also.


    I will get an Absolute Strap by itself when I get the future "personal item" for trips when more stuff than what fits in a Brain Bag is needed.


    I have to say Thanks to the Tom Bihn crew for making carry-on only traveling so enjoyable to plan.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-12-2009 at 08:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    221
    I have an ID, which I bought with an Absolute Shoulder Strap. Still love the strap, but I found that the Q-AM was better for my current needs. When I ordered the Q-AM, Tom sent me the hardware to turn the Absolute strap into a standard "D"-ring clip so that I can swap it in and out on other bags if need be.

    Works like a charm... and I can switch back to my absolute strap when I stop doing the "cross-campus hustle"!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

    Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    I have an ID, which I bought with an Absolute Shoulder Strap. Still love the strap, but I found that the Q-AM was better for my current needs. When I ordered the Q-AM, Tom sent me the hardware to turn the Absolute strap into a standard "D"-ring clip so that I can swap it in and out on other bags if need be.
    Great! I'm in the other situation. I ordered the ID with the Q-AM strap, but occasionally I wish I could swap in the Absolute Strap. How does the hardware work (although I supposed I can guess)? But what about the strap itself? Do I have to cut and sew? Thanks.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,773
    The hardware on the Absolute Strap is a simple and sturdy slip on.

    It takes some work and strength to put the hardware on because it is designed to be strong enough to hold from 10 to 25 or more pounds of moving stuff.
    The bag while you transport it.

    You cannot cut or sew those straps, they are made of the same fabric as luxury car seat belts.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    564
    Wait, I'm confused.

    So there are two Absolute Straps you can order? I have one that I use with my Aeronaut so it has the clasps. As near as I can tell there is no way I could use this with my Imago. Plus, I don't see an option on the order page for a strap that would work with the Imago.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    38
    I have a new Imago purchased with the Q-AM strap. A few days later I decided to get the Absolute for everyday use. They are easily interchangeable.

    The Messinger straps secure to the bag with a toothed slide - the end of the strap feeds thru a buckle and the teeth hold it in place. It is easily removed by pushing it back through with no weight on the straps. I just bought an additional Absolute Strap for my new Imago (which I originally purchased with the Q-AM) The hardware of the Absolute Strap is easily removed by pushing the loose ends back thru the plastic buckle until they are free. Then the metal clips just slip off and you can pull the plastic buckle off. You then feed the now loose ends of the ABsolute Strap thru the toothed plastic slide buckles on the imago - in this case and you've got a new strap. I know this sounds somewhat confusing but if you look at the way your messinger bag is put together, it is pretty simple. Took me about three minutes maybe.

    I hope this is helpful!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    I have a new Imago purchased with the Q-AM strap. A few days later I decided to get the Absolute for everyday use. They are easily interchangeable.

    The Messinger straps secure to the bag with a toothed slide - the end of the strap feeds thru a buckle and the teeth hold it in place. It is easily removed by pushing it back through with no weight on the straps. I just bought an additional Absolute Strap for my new Imago (which I originally purchased with the Q-AM) The hardware of the Absolute Strap is easily removed by pushing the loose ends back thru the plastic buckle until they are free. Then the metal clips just slip off and you can pull the plastic buckle off. You then feed the now loose ends of the ABsolute Strap thru the toothed plastic slide buckles on the imago - in this case and you've got a new strap. I know this sounds somewhat confusing but if you look at the way your messinger bag is put together, it is pretty simple. Took me about three minutes maybe.

    I hope this is helpful!
    100% correct. When you swap out the one strap for the other, just note how the straps are looped around the existing clasps and you're good to go.

    A couple of quick notes for clarification:

    - As others have noted, the buckes will stay on your bag. Just the strap is coming off, and you're attaching the new strap to the existing buckles.

    - When I ordered my Q-AM, I asked for the D-ring/clip hardware so that I would use the Absolute strap on any other bag I have in the closet. Tom kindly sent me the hardware with my order (thanks, Tom!).

    - Make sure you specify which bag you are getting the straps for, since the straps sizes will be different.

    Good luck!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

    Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    127

    Hmmm....

    Well, I guess I wasn't paying attention. I'll have to go home and see how that works exactly.

  14. #14
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,295
    hey - sorry it's been a bit busy and i am just catching up on the forum posts.

    there is a video demonstrating how you can remove the hardware from the absolute shoulder strap for use with a messenger bag or cafe bag.

    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoon View Post
    I was wondering if the absolute strap is interchangeable between bags. I already have one for my Aeronaut, and I have one ordered along with my cafe bag. Some day (soon!) I will also want an Imago. When I order that Imago, will the Absolute straps I already have go on it? In the picture, it looks like the simple strap is attached (not removable). I really can't justify more than 2 absolute straps!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    147
    Thanks, Maverick. The video helped. So, if you order an Imago WITH the absolute strap, does it come the same way, without the clip for the d-rings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0