Removing the waist strap?

I received my Imago (!) earlier this week, but I can't seem to remove the waist strap. I think I see how it's supposed to come out, but I'm having some problems on the more, uh, physical side. Unless I'm doing it wrong, or it's not supposed to be removed.

Some help? XD

Edit:
    Ah! Never mind -- took some time and maneuvering (and some sore fingers), but I figured it out.
    Last edited by Juliana; 03-15-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    yes, you have to apply some pressure with your fingers .

i haven't tried, but would it be a bad thing to use a pair of pliers if you place a cloth between the pliers and the clips so that the clips do not get damaged?

the trick to this is

push the black plastic parts together while pushing down on the metal spring. If you dont push down on the spring it gets caught on the hook of the black upright. wow it would be easy to show you

3 step process
    push down on metal spring
    apply pressure to uprights
    release spring

Hope this helps
    it is tricky

I was concerned the clip would malform or break, that I was doing it wrong. It took more force than I was comfortable applying, enough I was concerned it would break the clip. The clip did not malform or break. It's stronger than it seemed.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Yes, the gatekeepers are tough! We thought twice about using them because they are hard to open/close at first, but they're the best clip for the job and allowed us to put removable waist straps on bags that leave no hardware behind when removed. They're also incredibly secure.

It is OK to use pliers on them - that should make opening/closing them a snap - just don't be too tough on them.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes