Smart Alec & packing cube(s)

Forgive me as this is my first post ever to a forum, but I've searched the forum and haven't found this topic covered before.

I have a Vertical Brain Cell for the new 15"MBP (best laptop case ever) and I've been eyeing the Smart Alec as a daily/commuting backpack for a while. I'm wondering if, while having the Vertical Brain Cell in the bag, it would be possible to fit a packing cube that would be big enough for packing a small set of bundle-wrapped clothes for an overnight or two-night trip. Before ordering the Smart Alec, I wanted to see if it would be worth it to buy a TB packing cube as well.

Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    yes - that is definitely possible.

now, a friend has borrowed my packing cubes. but, give me a few minutes. i think i can at least illustrate that the smart alec will hold clothes in addition to the vertical brain cell. you can use a bit of imagination to see them going into a packing cube before they go into the smart alec :-).

Volunteer Moderator
    i did have a packing cube backpack :-).

sorry this took a while to encode, but here is the video.

thanks!

maverick, strong work with the video. answered my question perfectly. i'll be putting in the order soon! thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i did have a packing cube backpack :-).

sorry this took a while to encode, but here is the video.
    Hey maverick, would it be possible to put this video up again? I am pondering whether a Smart Alec could hold enough clothes to be my almost 10 year old son's primary carry-on for a casual trip.

Thanks,
    David

Super Moderator
    The Smart Alec is bigger in person than it looks in pictures (at least, that's the effect for me -- for the Ego and Super Ego, my impression goes the other way, for whatever that's worth). I'd say, for an almost-10-year old, if it's *not* big enough, then I hope you have a strong son unless you'd like to carry his bags

timothy

Thanks for the information. In terms of measured volume it is less than a 100 cc's larger than a backpack he already has but I think the Smart Alec is more useful because of the large cavity. I am hoping the video will give me a rough idea of how much it could hold by replicating how full the packing cube is with his stuff. Also, my memory is that maverick had a laptop in his which my son would not have. My goal is to keep lightweight stuff in his even if it means taking some denser stuff in my Aeronaut.

We will be using our first trip in a few weeks to see if the existing backpack works (the Smart Alec won't be available anyway). Its a driving trip but I am packing as though we were flying for clothes as a test for future flights.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmking View Post
    Hey maverick, would it be possible to put this video up again? I am pondering whether a Smart Alec could hold enough clothes to be my almost 10 year old son's primary carry-on for a casual trip.

Thanks,
    David
    hi david,

sorry about that. i've had a very busy week and a half (and more of the same going into next week). my schedule is going to be quite busy (a good busy) until about august 9th.

the reason the video disappeared (along with everything else i have in my mobileme galleries) is because i account was up for renewal and i didn't notice yesterday evening.

the video is back online, and we will get it on the tom bihn youtube channel.

thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0