Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Aeronaut design changes

I recently noticed that the Aeronaut's design has changed slightly. I have one of the first versions. The main thing I noticed is that the end pockets now zip on 3 sides instead of just 2.

Are there other changes? What were the reasons for the changes?

Also, just out of curiosity, when did the design change occur? I didn't notice it until some of the recent internet reviews.

E
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

I noticed that too in the Gadling pictures. I just assumed that I hadn't looked properly in the first place!

Travelwkid
    http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    The zippers on the Aeronaut end pockets were originally positioned so that they did not touch the ground when the bag was set down on its edge; this meant cutting the zippers shorter than we may have done otherwise. I always take into account that zippers can wear if exposed to abrasion when positioned too close to the bottom of a bag.
    After some use, I realized that the utility of having a larger opening on the end compartment outweighed my concerns about zipper wear. Additionally, the splash-proof zippers we use on the Aeronaut tend to be less affected by abrasion anyway.
    Around that same time I believe I added an open-top pocket on the end opposite the small zippered pocket: I wanted someplace to put my boarding pass.