Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Western Flyer under seat?

Anyone store their WF under a plane seat of a large aircraft?

I see it measures slightly less than a Brain Bag, and I've managed to get a overly stuffed BB under a seat. But the BB is angled at the top. On the planes I use the under seat storage has a bar or something that angles inward or becomes narrower as you get further under the seat. This works fine for a backpack since they get narrower at the top but I wonder if it would fail for a rectangular bag like the WF. Worst case is that it goes in a certain amount and then just stops and the flight attendent isn't happy with how much it sticks out.

You might be able to fit two of them under there

I have been using the WF for 2-4 day trips almost weekly, and when I pack for 4 days it is *almost* as full as it gets. I usually fly Southwest, which means a 737, and there is always room for the bag plus my feet. I have yet to take it on a plane that has the boxes under some of the seats, or on a plane with underseat space like you describe, but I think the WF would fit just about anywhere a backpack would.

One thing about the WF that the pictures don't show very well - it does not bulge as bad as you might think. There are some shots of it packed up on the 1 Bag 1 World review, and it looks really fat, but I have yet to pack it to where it looks like that. Maybe the camera adds pounds to a bag too. I do use packing cubes, which may be the reason mine doesn't seem to bulge too bad.

I think the planes I take on American are 737 or very similar to them but I think on American they do put those bars under the seat. It's been a while since I flew Southwest but I seem to recall that they do not have those narrowing bars. Without the obstruction I can see it fitting without an issue.

I does measure less than the Brain Bag, and a fully stuffed BB will fit with some coaxing, but the BB has that angled top.

Uggh. I really don't NEED a new bag!!

On planes with "personal entertainment systems"--those seat-back video monitors--hardly anything fits under the seat because there's a big honkin' technology box there! Next long haul flight I take on one of those planes, I think I'll be down to my cafe bag as my under-seat mate!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0