Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ever struggle on color choice for "professional" look?

I find my self looking to buy (again) and the Western Flyer has caught my attention as a possible personal carry on item to go with my Aeronaut for vacation, and as an everyday laptop bag for work. And there is the problem ...

I love that my Aeronaut is Crimson when I'm on vacation. It stands out and is easy to spot. I never get it confused with anyone else's bag. So going with a WF in the same color would be useful and also color coordinated.

But I have to admit that it's not what I'd call professional. In the current economic climate I could find myself job hunting (knock on wood) and a nice boring black briefcase would probably be safe.

Anyone face this dilemna before and reach any conclusions they'd like to share?

I would go for Steel, it is easy to spot in a sea of black, less boring and more stylish.
    Not as bright as Crimson, Steel has a wonderful hue that coordinates perfectly with all the other Tom Bihn colors.

One of my Brain Bag is Steel and the other is Sapphire, I can definitely say that the Steel feels less backpack casual and more stylish bookbag.

With the exception of 2 who are pairs of fun colors and 2 who have a black/color combo, all my other Tom Bihn are Steel by themselves or with another color.

Somebody just posted a thread called "In praise of Steel" and I agree 100%.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-04-2009 at 09:10 AM.

110% Steel. It's beautiful. And I say that even though I think the Western Flyer in black is very attractive as well.

My 2 cents: Black is elegant. It goes with a more professional look and looks great for casual wear as well. It won't stand out and that can be a disadvantage as well as an advantage. You probably also won't tire of the color. The problem I have with steel is that it isn't a bold color and it's not black. In my opinion, it's better to go all one way or the other. In any event, I don't think black is ever boring. I think it's elegant.

I should say that I do like black for a professional look. It's an easy comfort zone pick for a work bag. But I just hate having the same color as everyone else. Plus, on vacation trips it blends in with everyone else and can be easy to lose track of.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I should say that I do like black for a professional look. It's an easy comfort zone pick for a work bag. But I just hate having the same color as everyone else. Plus, on vacation trips it blends in with everyone else and can be easy to lose track of.
    Well then, buy 2

I loves me my steel Brain Bag and Steel ID. And they both look completely professional... even if I don't.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by dclawyer View Post
    Well then, buy 2
    Ha. It's bad enough I'm even looking for another bag. I absolutely don't NEED one.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicTiki View Post
    I loves me my steel Brain Bag and Steel ID. And they both look completely professional... even if I don't.
    This may sound odd but there are times when I like Steel and times when I don't. For some reason it looked really nice on the Smart Alec I tried out but on my Brain Bag it looks a bit dull. Since I was using the bags for work I didn't mind it being a bit neutral but there was something about the Smart Alec that made it seem more pleasing to my eye.

One other issue is that with some bags steel is a complimentary color with black and other times it's the only color. The Western Flyer is totally steel for example. It's hard to tell how that will end up looking just based on the pictures.

But a black/steel combo would probably be a decent compromise if available. It's not the same as everyone else but it's still not overly bold.

I currently have a Western Flyer in steel and it looks fine in my opinion. There is black trim and the handles are black which make for a nice appealing contrast. I use the bag for travel - as a suitcase, not a briefcase (I use the ID for that - black/steel/wasabi). The color works well on those occasions when I need to carry the bag into a meeting because of an early checkout/flight. Seems to be professional enough for my purposes. For a point of reference, I am a neuropsychologist and for my national meetings may not need to be quite as formal. As a speaker or surveyor I have not been viewed askance with either bag.

I'm going through this same debate in my mind. I'm excited about the TriStar, and I will be using it for business onebagging. This means it will have to look fine in a client account.

I'm leaning toward steel (I'm really hoping for a wasabi or solar interior!) and black. Black seems boring, but sometimes that's what you want in a business bag. However, I have to agree with others here that Steel is a nice color, goes with nearly everything, and stands out "just enough".

I've been using a steel and black Empire Builder for over 2 years (Here's my review) and I haven't regretted the color choice for this type of bag.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

I don't even really understand the debate here?
    Black is the answer.

I take my Black E.B everywhere and it is next to every other Black bag all the time but I never fail to be asked about it anyway, it hardly resembles the others.

Anything else just is not as Professional unless it is Leather.

I like a lot of the other colors but that is not the question.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I don't even really understand the debate here?
    Black is the answer.

I take my Black E.B everywhere and it is next to every other Black bag all the time but I never fail to be asked about it anyway, it hardly resembles the others.

Anything else just is not as Professional unless it is Leather.

I like a lot of the other colors but that is not the question.

Ed
    Disagree. Steel looks very professional too. Black perhaps a bit more neutral, but I've never had anyone say anything negative about my briefcase in Steel and Black. Just because you don't think there should be a debate doesn't mean there can't be one.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

Imago in Steel

I just had delivered to me an Imago in Steel/Steel/Cayenne and it's really nice. My Super Ego is Black/Steel/Wasabi which is also a very good color for me. I don't like carrying or wearing loud colors and steel is very good for me. I use my bags to carry stuff to work and for general purposes. I like Navy Blue also. Maybe my next bag will be that.

I will use my Imago for those times when I don't need to carry a laptop with me and less than 'everything but the kitchen sink.'

Volunteer Moderator
    there is definitely something to be said for the conservative black or steel choices for the exterior with a more lively color for the inside of the bag.

i personally like the navy blue, and the steel may be interesting. but black just doesn't do it for me.

maybe it's because every other laptop bag i ever came across before i found tom bihn bags was black.

Quote Originally Posted by tommylane View Post
    I just had delivered to me an Imago in Steel/Steel/Cayenne and it's really nice. My Super Ego is Black/Steel/Wasabi which is also a very good color for me. I don't like carrying or wearing loud colors and steel is very good for me. I use my bags to carry stuff to work and for general purposes. I like Navy Blue also. Maybe my next bag will be that.

I will use my Imago for those times when I don't need to carry a laptop with me and less than 'everything but the kitchen sink.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0