Professional Looking Briefcase - Recommendations Sought

I am a lawyer and would like a professional looking bag for commuting back and forth to work. It must have a key tether because I love them. I don't commute with a laptop. A modest number of papers and two BlackBerries is what I travel with.

Any recommendations?

I'd go with the Zephyr, in basic black. It looks like a briefcase rather than a messenger bag, has built in but removable dividers to organize your papers, and has appropriate handy organizer pockets. It's smaller than the Empire Builder, but if you aren't toting a laptop around on a regular basis, you won't need the extra space. Incidentally, there's plenty of room in the Zephyr for a laptop if you ever have to bring one along.

I've brought mine to CLE's and conferences and never felt out of place.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Thank you flitcraft. I appreciate your recommendation.

If you do travel by air at all and take your laptop with you, and want a dual purpose bag, then I'd suggest the Checkpoint flyer. The laptop cell is removable (it has clips that hold it securely), and without it, is a great briefcase type bag. You can add the proper accessories in the back (main) compartment (Horizontal Fruedian Slip for papers,etc.).
    The front pockets have clips for the key leash and are easy to access. I also like it because of the convertible flap on the back that serves as either a pocket, or unzips to custom fit it over a rollaboard handle. I did put the zipper pulls on all of the zippers, especially the bag one, it just makes them easier to use. I would suggest it in black or black and with grey trim. Another handy thing about it is that if you use a strap with it, the strap neatly tucks under the front pouch.

It is a bit bigger than the Zephyr, but if you travel, you may want that. If not, I agree, go with the Zephyr.

I agree that the Zephyr does the job for a briefcase-style bag, but I use the ID as my daily briefcase. Even though it is a messenger bag, it looks really classy in the steel/grey combo and does not look at all out of place in a professional environment. It also has the added bonus of flexibility.

When I need my laptop I use my brain bag (also in steel)... but that's not as often as I have my papers and assorted gadgets. The ID with the Freudian Slip fits the bill perfectly!
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Thanks for suggesting the ID. I noted that the ID is lighter than the Zephyr even though the ID is bigger than the Zephyr. Is this because the Zephyr has more padding than the ID?

Volunteer Moderator
    The Zephyr definitely has more padding, and more shape to it. The dividers are also super-heavy-duty, with the weight to go with it. But I love the dividers!!

Alternately, you could go with ID or Checkpoint Flyer w/ Horizontal Freudian Slip to organize.

Just nails it. I think it really depends on how you plan to use the bag on a regular basis.

I love the Freudian Slip because I use my bag for work and for travel. When I am travelling, I just pull out the Slip so I have room for more of my junk.
    ----------------
    Bob P.
    Magic Tiki Studios

Empire Builder (black/steel), Brain Bag (steel), Small Padded Organizer Pouch, Clear Wallet, Soft Cell, Snake Charmer (cayenne) and assorted trimmings.

Empire Builder

I'm an attorney, and I use the Empire Builder as my exclusive brief case. When not hauling the laptop, I pull the brain cell and have all the room I need for files, legal pads, etc. I wouldn't want anything smaller; I want the room for when I need it (court, deps, laptop, etc.). In all black, this is a great looking bag that keeps everything organized and at your finger tips.

You simply can't go wrong with the EB.

Regards,
    Brian

Thank you, all. Your responses are very helpful. I am leaning towards the Zephyr. I think I would prefer its structure over a messenger bag. I no longer litigate so I don't need a bag that can carry lots of papers. Great forum!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0