Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What combo of packing cubes?

I use an Aeronaut for all my trips, and currently I use the following packing cubes:

1 large cube
    1 end pocket cube
    1 small cube
    Dopp kit (not Tom Bihn, but I did use a clear Quarter cube as a Dopp kit for a while)

Typically, I will bundle wrap most of my clothes into the large cube, and put smaller items like socks and underwear in the small cube. I put things I need on the plane (headphones, ipod, paperback, notebook) in the end cube so I can pull it out easily and quickly.

I was wondering what combination of cubes and packing methods other Aeronautists use?

Eric
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

I use the full set - 2 small, 2 end, 1 large. Like you, I will 1 end-pocket with the stuff I want have direct access to on the plane.
    Regardless of what I pack, I find using cubes for everything easiest when I unpack at the destination and it also keeps the areonaut in the perfect shape.

Volunteer Moderator
    I usually split the difference in my set of packing cubes:

1 large cube
    1 small cube
    2 end pocket cubes (1 mesh and 1 fabric)

Sometimes I substitute the Convertible Packing Cube for one of the end pocket cubes and sometimes I'll put an extra empty cube in my end pocket, depending on what I want to (later) stick in there. I also use the cubes to separate clothing that needs laundering.

I do use the Clear Quarter Packing Cube as well, but that's usually used for electronics and goes into my personal carry-on. Sometimes it goes into the Aeronaut end pocket. I haven't traveled with the Aeronaut since I got my Shop Bags, but one of those will probably get added. And here is my post about packing cubes in another thread. (It contains links to other reviews, and earlier threads and photos in the forums).

I have settled into a routine where I usually just use 1 large cube and nothing else. For my packing, the end pockets do a good job just as they are, and most of my main clothes (pants, shirts, undershirts) fit in the large packing cube.

On top of that packing cube, I throw in some loose socks, and often a sweatshirt.

I use two large cubes, which I find very handy.

I bought 1 end cube as well but have only used it once...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

I use the Backpack Packing cube in my Brain Bag to protect and separate my
    needlework project from the main things in the bag.

The Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag is used as an inner pocket in my
    Swift(s). Because it zips, folded letter size papers, or junior/paperback size paper items fit in there and can be protected from the rain.
    I make sure to button the bag so that the opening is the smallest.
    On plane rides The Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag is removed from the Swift and used for small soft items such as socks.

The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is carried in my Large Cafe Bag or Swift as an
    all around Emergency Kit.
    On one side, It has sample of over the counter meds, band aids, cotton; tic-tac, lip balm/lip pencil, a little eye shadow compact in a color that can be used for eyes/cheeks/lips, mini eye shadow, blush and lip brushes and various other stuff all under 2oz so it is checkpoint ready.
    On the other it has a small fork, spoon and paper towel in a ziplock.

After the restrictions I ditched the lip gloss and anything over 2oz so everything is tiny and clearly allowed.

I am going to add the Small and Large Stuff Sacks to the list, the clear bottom ones are very sturdy. They can be used to carry a bottle, in addition the Large can hold a properly wrapped, light sandwich or a small box of sushi, a fruit and a power/candy bar, maybe a yogurt.

The All fabric Stuff Sacks can roll into practically nothing and can be used as a mini clean laundry bags.

i just wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread so far; it was very helpful to me!

i just ordered two aeronauts (one for my husband, and one for myself) for an upcoming trip, and chose a slightly different combination of packing cubes for each of us. i got him 1 large and 2 small, and i got myself 1 large, 1 small, and 1 end cube. we'll see how it goes! now i just have to coordinate getting all of our stuff into those two bags. heh.

I've found that while the end cube and the small cube are really different sizes, they are close enough that they can be used interchangeably if they are not completely stuffed to the gills.
    There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

Proud Owner of: Aeronaut, Empire Builder, PC Flyer, Tri-Star, 3 Absolute shoulder straps, 2 Freudian slips, Braincell, and many various pouches and packing cubes...

I'd have a few questions about TB packing cubes but didn't want to start a new thread for those.

Is there a weight difference between dyneema and mesh cubes?

Do dyneema cubes keep their shape better (=bulge less) than mesh ones if stacked full?

Does anyone have experience using four end cubes in the Aeronaut main compartment (like books on the shelf). I'm just guessing here but that might put the bulging pressure against the ends and keep the bag flatter.

I'm sure there is a difference in weight, but I doubt its more than a few grams. I can't tell the difference, to be honest.

The dyneema cubes keep their shape a teeny bit better, but once packed either one works well.

I've never tried using 4 small cubes in the bag's main section, because I find the large cube easier to pack.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Packing Cube Weights

Aeronaut:
    End All Fabric - 2.9oz
    End Fabric/Mesh - 3.2oz
    Small - 2.8oz
    Large - 4.2oz

Western Flyer:
    Large - 4.1oz
    Small All Fabric - 2.7oz
    Small Fabric/Mesh - 2.6oz

Convertible Shoulder Bag/Packing Cube - 3.7oz

Clear Quarter Packing Cube - 4.2oz
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Is there a weight difference between dyneema and mesh cubes?

Do dyneema cubes keep their shape better (=bulge less) than mesh ones if stacked full?

Does anyone have experience using four end cubes in the Aeronaut main compartment (like books on the shelf). I'm just guessing here but that might put the bulging pressure against the ends and keep the bag flatter.
    As mentioned above, there really isn't a lot of difference in weight or in how well the packing cubes that are all-dyneema (as compared with the dyneema/mesh cubes) keep their shape. If I use a cube to separate off clothes that need to be laundered, I'll generally use an all dyneema cube. Similarly, if I'm using a cube to hold miscellaneous small items like digital camera memory cards or small electronics, I won't use a mesh cube. For packing clothes, either is fine. The mesh cubes make it easier to identify contents if you have more than one small cube, since you can view it from the side. The dyneema is very light weight. I suspect the combination you choose (e.g. four end cubes) will depend on how much you stack your Aeronaut contents. If I have to include items that aren't just clothing, I'll use the 1 large and 1 small or 1 large and 2 small cube combination.

Also, just in general, the Aeronaut isn't prone to bulging because of its design, and the packing cubes make this even more true. The fact that they are conveniently sized and matched to the Aeronaut's interior make them even more useful than you might think.

Thanks for everyone for your replies, those helped me a lot (though I'm stilll hovering between the Aeronaut, Tristar and the upcoming new duffel).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    As mentioned above, there really isn't a lot of difference in weight or in how well the packing cubes that are all-dyneema (as compared with the dyneema/mesh cubes) keep their shape. If I use a cube to separate off clothes that need to be laundered, I'll generally use an all dyneema cube. Similarly, if I'm using a cube to hold miscellaneous small items like digital camera memory cards or small electronics, I won't use a mesh cube. For packing clothes, either is fine. The mesh cubes make it easier to identify contents if you have more than one small cube, since you can view it from the side. The dyneema is very light weight. I suspect the combination you choose (e.g. four end cubes) will depend on how much you stack your Aeronaut contents. If I have to include items that aren't just clothing, I'll use the 1 large and 1 small or 1 large and 2 small cube combination.
    As usual, moriond is right on!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

At the risk of heresy, do any of you use any non-TB cubes in your Aeronauts? Curious what other sizes/brands could be used in a pinch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0