Modifying an older Western Flyer?

I have one of the slingstrap Western Flyers, which I dearly love for medium length trips--around a week or so--but I can't use the slingstrap at all. Instead I use the Absolute Strap, which may be the world's most perfect strap. Still, there are lots of times when I'm going to be carrying my fully loaded WF for a while, and I'd dearly love to have it as a backpack.

So, any possibility it could be retrofitted with backpack straps? I'd be happy to take it into the showroom and I'm happy to pay the full cost of whatever a retrofit would run. But I find myself more and more wishing I'd waited on the WF till it turned into a full-fledged backpack...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The full cost of a retrofit would pretty much be that of a whole new bag. It's a pretty major part of the bag, and very difficult to change. I would offer that we do get emails/calls from people who would *prefer* a sling strap, so you might be able to sell the bag on eBay or craigslist (and post a link here offering it for sale.)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hmmm...bummer. I was really hoping that it would be possible to do that. I know I could try to sell it, but it has a couple of purely cosmetic spots on it that might weird out a potential buyer.

Well, here's hoping that the new Tristar is available before mid June, when I ship out for a five week long trip.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0