Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By WillisR
  • 3 Post By moriond

Thread: DLBC (and DLBP) in an Aeronaut

DLBC (and DLBP) in an Aeronaut

Name:  DLBP in A45.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  155.0 KB

For those who are curious, it is indeed possible to fit a fully loaded DLBC into an Aeronaut (or an A45, as the kids say these days) on top of a fully loaded packing cube. I also managed to roll up an empty DLBP and the DLBC's strap (with the suede pad) behind the DLBC and PC. (There's a fully loaded Laundry Stuff Sack in one of the end compartments, and a lightly loaded Quarter Packing Cube and a semi-stuffed Stuff Sack in the other.)

My thinking behind this setup: I want a carry-on, backpackable bag for travel days. (I soldiered for years with a RedOxx Air Boss and an Imago, but the shoulder straps killed my neck after days with a lot of walking.) The Aeronaut fits the bill perfectly here—even fully loaded, I can handle a long day of rough walking without any serious back/neck/shoulder pain. Occasionally, I need to get at my laptop and other electronics, either at a meeting when I'm en route to the airport, going through security, or when I'm on the plane. The DLBC nails this task and goes easily in and out of the Aeronaut. And if I'm staying somewhere for more than a day, I want a respectable but comfortable backpack to schlep my laptop and other stuff with. (For example, I often travel to DC for meetings that are all over the city, and anything with a shoulder strap leaves me in pain by the end of the day.) Hence, the Black (cordura) DLBP. It's a pretty sweet setup!

Volunteer Moderator

DLBC (and DLBP) in an Aeronaut

Quote Originally Posted by WillisR View Post
    Name:  DLBP in A45.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  155.0 KB

For those who are curious, it is indeed possible to fit a fully loaded DLBC into an Aeronaut (or an A45, as the kids say these days) on top of a fully loaded packing cube. I also managed to roll up an empty DLBP and the DLBC's strap (with the suede pad) behind the DLBC and PC. (There's a fully loaded Laundry Stuff Sack in one of the end compartments, and a lightly loaded Quarter Packing Cube and a semi-stuffed Stuff Sack in the other.)

My thinking behind this setup: I want a carry-on, backpackable bag for travel days. (I soldiered for years with a RedOxx Air Boss and an Imago, but the shoulder straps killed my neck after days with a lot of walking.) The Aeronaut fits the bill perfectly here—even fully loaded, I can handle a long day of rough walking without any serious back/neck/shoulder pain. Occasionally, I need to get at my laptop and other electronics, either at a meeting when I'm en route to the airport, going through security, or when I'm on the plane. The DLBC nails this task and goes easily in and out of the Aeronaut. And if I'm staying somewhere for more than a day, I want a respectable but comfortable backpack to schlep my laptop and other stuff with. (For example, I often travel to DC for meetings that are all over the city, and anything with a shoulder strap leaves me in pain by the end of the day.) Hence, the Black (cordura) DLBP. It's a pretty sweet setup!
    @WillisR, Nice post and picture! You can also similarly fit the Daylight Briefcase into the smaller A30. And you can fold an empty Daylight Backpack into thirds and zip it into the back zippered pocket (the bottom side of the DLBC not visible in your picture), and then unfold it and carry the Daylight Briefcase in one of the pockets of the Daylight Backpack if you want to switch to carrying the DLBC backpack style.

A folded French Blue DLBP lying on top of the back side of a Plum DLBC, just below the zipper of the rear horizontal zippered pocket from this post (#28). You can unzip that zipper and insert the folded DLBP inside. (The plum Field Journal Notebook and Side Effect going into the main compartment were meant to answer another question about the size of the main compartment, if used for alternate purposes than carrying a laptop. )

And for conferences/workshops I might use the back zippered pocket to carry a jersey, as shown in this post (#59 in The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review.

In other travel bags, such as the Tri-Star or Western Flyer, where the back has a more rectangular design that the A45 or A30, a DLBP can be slipped into the zippered BackPack strap pocket and stashed under the backpack harness, if you want a bag for backpack style carries at your destination.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 12-20-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0