Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Some greens

Some greens

I just got my Verde/UV PU and was super excited to see Verde in person. I thought I'd try to do what I did with the blues, but just realized I am missing Conifer and Olive. So here are "some greens":

Name:  P1050221 green TB.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  78.5 KB

Clockwise from top
    Kiwi Kit on a Forest/UV SA
    Tall Wasabi YSS
    Verde/UV PU
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Thanks for the picture. I have a forest Pilot and a verde Little Swift on the way and I think I'm going to like my "greens" very much.

I love greens!!!! This picture is heaven!!!
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....

Thanks for posting the photo... although it is making me like Verde enough to wish I had ordered my A30 in it, rather than Black Dyneema! Wah.
    Steel Ballistic: WF (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: TS (w/Iberian), S25 (w/Wasabi), DLBC

Oh why didn't I order a kit in kiwi when they were still available? :(

I wouldn't mind so much but even though I asked nicely I didn't even manage to score a kiwi q-kit! :(
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

I just saw an Olive OP in one of my photos on the Forum.... looks like I have one after all. I'll try to take more pictures with it once I find it (need to rent an excavator to dig into my pile of OPs). We're expecting a good sized storm here (first one like this in 3 years for drought-stricken California), so I might not get a chance to take good pictures for a couple of days. I am certain I do not have Conifer, though.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Just thought I'd add on some pics of more green stuff... they are pretty true-to-life if viewed on an iphone.

Hunter vs Forest (the latest batch of Forest with the bluish hue). Forest is a rich blackish pure green; Forest is quite a bit brighter and has a blue tone. If viewed on an iphone, you can see the distinctive greenish hue of Sage. It's also visible on my PC, but is much less obvious. (I wish Hunter would make a comeback. It's the most beautiful green colour EVER.)

Name:  IMG_4596.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  108.3 KB

Compared with a mini pouch in the old Forest colour. I feel the older batch of Forest is a more muted version of Hunter. It's not bluish, and very close to Conifer-- but I think Conifer is a richer green.

Name:  IMG_4597.JPG
Size:  100.4 KB

Close-up comparison between old Forest and new Forest. As a matter of personal preference, I like the new one better; it's more distinctive.

Name:  IMG_4598.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  142.6 KB

Verde (ballistic) vs Olive pp. Verde looks a bit more bronzed than Olive pp. (It's a sign of my madness that I have two olive-shade/UV SEs...)

Name:  IMG_4601.JPG
Size:  138.6 KB

As a side note, the material used as binding appears to have changed recently? My wasabi COW has the new binding, which has a finer texture and is a bit shinier. I think it may be more pet hair repellant!

Name:  IMG_4599.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  165.9 KB
    Last edited by adalangdon; 12-16-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

I agree, Hunter is the most beautiful green. I wish it was still in production :(
    ncb4 likes this.

Thank for those pictures, adalangdon. Beautiful greens you have there!

@adalangdon, that Forest Pilot is gorgeous! Too bad Forest is being retired because I would love a Forest PU!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Great pictures adalangdon! I didn't know there where so many "old" greens. (I'm new here at Tom Bihn.) I was so happy to receive a forest q-kit with my forest Pilot. I also got a green pocket pouch. That looks a little bit darker than the Pilot.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    (I wish Hunter would make a comeback. It's the most beautiful green colour EVER.)
    @adalangdon Hunter Ballistic Nylon was not one of the custom colors that the Tom Bihn folks commissioned. Instead, it was one of a handful of colors where I believe they were able to buy into an existing partial fabrication lot, from a time when it was still possible to share lots with other U.S. manufacturers. Here's Darcy's post (#56 in the original design thread for what became the Aeronaut, with an excerpt indicating they would test Hunter as a possible color for ordering:
    Color update: The Aeronaut will be available in Steel, Crimson, Black, Kiwi, Sage, and Hunter Green (only one in Hunter Green -- we're testing this color to see if we like it). No Grape -- sorry!
    Tom chimed in a couple of posts later:
    We are actually making only ONE in Hunter Green, just to see if we like it. If any forum reader simply must have that color, contact Darcy to reserve it for you.
    I think that Hunter, Grape, Kiwi, and Sage, were all Ballistic Nylon colors where they were able to buy into existing partial lots -- before most of the other manufacturing industries that used these fabrics relocated overseas. Nowadays every new custom Ballistic Nylon color they develop and use has to be bank-rolled and custom-ordered in large minimum-lot quantities for their production use.

Here are a few more related excerpted posts from the period (2006-2007) to add to the above information. There was also Sage Ballistic Nylon (shown in @Sacarissa's post under two different lighting conditions:

In the Lux bag . . . new colors? thread, Darcy wrote, explaining some of the factors behind supporting color combinations:

Everyone loves Sage! What is it about Sage that you like?

Part of the reason the LUX has such a nice shape is that it is made out of Ballistic Nylon, which isn't available in that many colors. To get some of the nicer colors in Ballistic, we'd have to have a custom lot of the fabric dyed and made for us, and that would mean ordering a lot of fabric! So it'd have to be a color that everyone would love.

So, if you could pick one color to add to our Ballistic Nylon palette and the LUX, what would it be?

And then later in 2007 she posted in the Colors available thread:

The reduction of colors comes down to their availability: U.S. made ballistic nylon isn't available in a lot of different colors. We were lucky to have Grape, Kiwi, and Hunter for as long as we did!
    So Hunter was only available on a limited basis, although they did make several bags, like the Aeronaut, Imago, ID bag, Superego, etc. in Hunter, as well as accessories like the Kit.

HTH moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Color update: The Aeronaut will be available in Steel, Crimson, Black, Kiwi, Sage, and Hunter Green
    @moriond, my mind is twirling with thoughts of a KIWI Aeronaut! No way to miss such a bag in a crowd :) if any Forum member has a KIWI A45, I would love to see a photo...or two...or three!
    Last edited by taminca; 12-16-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

That Sage looks so pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

...There was also Sage Ballistic Nylon (shown in @Sacarissa's post under two different lighting conditions:

HTH moriond
    I must have discovered TB after Sage was retired: what a gorgeous shade of green. I'm sorry I missed it.

~Nancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0